C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

QUESTION ABOUT SPRAYING IN SECOND GEAR

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 01:47 PM
SilverStateZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUESTION ABOUT SPRAYING IN SECOND GEAR

With over 500 rear wheel horsepower and about 550 rear wheel torque, I am a little concerned about launching at 5K on ET Streets.

People are saying that I will blow the rear and/or tranny. I have the LPE hardened output shaft, but am still concerned about the rest of the parts.

I have an NX single stage unit with about a 125 shot. To activate the unit, I have a mechanical full throttle switch at the bottom of the gas pedal and a window switch set at 3K to 6400. I have the NX switch panel to power up the unit and do not have an automatic bottle opener.

HERE'S THE QUESTION:

Is there any danger in launching the car hard in first on the motor, and then powering up the unit with the NX switch panel while in second at full throttle and within the 3K - 6400 window.

In other words, most people power up the unit BEFORE a run, and THEN spray by pushing a button or by reaching the rpm set by the window switch and/or the full throttle switch. So is it okay to do it backwards? Does anyone do it that way? I hate to be the first one experimenting.

:confused:
Old 09-01-2003, 01:31 PM
SilverStateZ06
Racer

Default Re: QUESTION ABOUT SPRAYING IN SECOND GEAR (SilverStateZ06)

I can't believe no one has thought of or done this.

You guys have no advice to give?

:skep:
Old 09-01-2003, 02:52 PM
Allgonoshow
Racer

Are you looking to spray half way into first or only after you grab second? Lots of the FBody guys just flip the arm switch on or hit the push button when they feel they will have the available traction. I just use my window switch with a first gear lockout. Only sprays after I shift into second.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:55 PM
SilverStateZ06
Racer

Default Re: QUESTION ABOUT SPRAYING IN SECOND GEAR (Allgonoshow)

Thanks for the info.

How does this first gear lockout work? Would it work with a manual trans?

I have also thought of using 16 psi in the rear tires and doing a half-fast burnout. That way, the tires would spin instead of breaking parts.

Which way do you think would yield better e/t's without breaking parts?
Old 09-01-2003, 04:05 PM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have launched my 535 RWHP & 590 RWT at 5k on ET Streets. I havent broke anything yet. I am running a 150 shot on top of my LS6 with Stage II+ heads and cam. You will see that ideally you will not improve your 60' times. The sweet spot for me is 3500 RPM which equates to a 1.6x 60' time.
Old 09-01-2003, 04:31 PM
Allgonoshow
Racer

Works with maunuals or autos. Waits till it sees your shiftpoint(has a shiftlight output on it too), after the RPMs reach it then it lets it sprays as long as its withing the windows range. When you finish the run you just step on your brakes and it resets. It's accurate enough for 1 RPM increments.
Old 09-01-2003, 05:03 PM
03MelYVette
Advanced

i dont have a 6 speed but thats what i do, i hit the activation switch when i deem it neccessary. i have the foot thing also so it is enganged and when i flip the arming switch it sprays.

Get notified of new replies

To QUESTION ABOUT SPRAYING IN SECOND GEAR

Quick Reply: QUESTION ABOUT SPRAYING IN SECOND GEAR