Old 02-07-2005, 06:23 PM
AC54ME
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
CI-VI Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

It's funny, I was wondering the same thing this past Saturday.

Our club (LSCC) met at 21st Century on Saturday (great food, talking Vettes, meetings, dynos run, etc. - it was WONDERFUL).

During the meeting, a 21st Century detail guy waxed, cleaned, etc. both my Verts.

Anyway, after the meeting broke up I stayed around for another hour while the detail guy attempted to finish the S/O Vert.

It was taking to long, so I left first (the S/O would follow about an hour later). I stopped at the Big Mac for a cola, and there were three (3) C6's there. They came over and we talked for a few minutes while my order was being filled, and then I left.

I waved at the C6'ers on my way out - not a one waved back

They followed me out of the parking area, and to the TollWay where they attempted to show their 'stufff'.

They will not be doing that anymore - at least with my Vert. It is the one with the 427.

As I proceeded along the TollWay they came along side. I gave the wave, and again all ignored it.

What I cannot figure out is why they don't wave. The new C6 owners package references the wave, so either they do not/ cannot read, or are too stuck up since they have "400HP" (damn, I only have 519, and that's at the rear wheels ).

Last edited by AC54ME; 02-07-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:24 PM
400hp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sxe60
Unfortunately, this is pretty much the attitude of most Vette drivers now days. The Sports Car Camaraderie of the past is about gone, except for a few of us older guys, who remember how it was to be part of that special club and shared the HI Sign. :
I don't know about the sports car camaraderie not being there. I just don't feel the need to wave exclusively to Corvettes. People in other sports cars will always wave, thumbs up, stop and chat, etc. We're car enthusiasts, not just Corvette enthusiasts. And we are certainly not elitist which is how a lot of people come across when they talk about "the wave", like Corvette owners own it. Bikers almost always wave to each other.

Last edited by 400hp; 02-07-2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:25 PM
AR8007
Racer

Originally Posted by 400hp
It doesn't make anyone a "hapless pinhead" just because they don't wave. What is the point of the wave anyway? I know what I'm driving. Besides, just because someone has the same car as me doesn't mean anything. For all you know the person your'e waving at is a hapless pinhead.

You sure don't get the vette expierence!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:25 PM
400hp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AR8007
You sure don't get the vette expierence!!!
What is the "Vette experience"? Calling names?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:28 PM
mhaber
Racer

It's not dying here in the Northwest. But, many Vette owners just aren't into waving or acknowledging other Vettes. I think this may be many of the same people who never join a Corvette club or go on car club cruises, but this is a generalization. I still find it difficult to see inside an approaching C5 and I'm sure when I wave through the front window it often goes unnoticed.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:29 PM
VA CORVETTE 757
Pro

60-70% of vette drivers i'd say here in va wave. A lot of the older guys like someone mentioned earlier c1-c4 wave. Women never wave!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:34 PM
400hp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AC54ME
It's funny, I was wondering the same thing this past Saturday.

Our club (LSCC) met at 21st Century on Saturday (great food, talking Vettes, meetings, dynos run, etc. - it was WONDERFUL).

During the meeting, a 21st Century detail guy waxed, cleaned, etc. both my Verts.

Anyway, after the meeting broke up I stayed around for another hour while the detail guy attempted to finish the S/O Vert.

It was taking to long, so I left first (the S/O would follow about an hour later). I stopped at the Big Mac for a cola, and there were three (3) C6's there. They came over and we talked for a few minutes while my order was being filled, and then I left.

I waved at the C6'ers on my way out - not a one waved back

They followed me out of the parking area, and to the TollWay where they attempted to show their 'stufff'.

They will not be doing that anymore - at least with my Vert. It is the one with the 427.

As I proceeded along the TollWay they came along side. I gave the wave, and again all ignored it.

What I cannot figure out is why they don't wave. The new C6 owners package references the wave, so either they do not/ cannot read, or are too stuck up since they have "400HP" (damn, I only have 519, and that's at the rear wheels ).
Lighten up, sounds like you have issues. I also own an Audi A6, but I don't wave at other Audi drivers and if I did and they didn't wave back, I wouldn't care. Sounds like a stalker mentality to me. Why go so far out of your way? Whats the big deal? Just because you have the same car as someone doesn't mean you'll be taking long soapy showers together.

Last edited by 400hp; 02-07-2005 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:39 PM
JiminFL
Racer

Oh no!! Not this thread again.

I wave. I'll admit that at first I thought, "Do they (incorrectly) think I'm some guy from their club or something?", but I figured it out in about 1-2 days of getting my first vette, and unless I've got both hands busy at the time, if I see ya and we're both in a vette, I'm wavin.

Sometimes people wave back, sometimes they don't. I choose to wave, and they can choose for themselves if they'll first or even back. Seen it both ways across all generations, and it doesn't matter. I'll still have my PermaGrin, and probably have the XM turned up, too.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:40 PM
400hp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JiminFL

I wave. I'll admit that at first I thought, "Do they (incorrectly) think I'm some guy from their club or something?", but I figured it out in about 1-2 days of getting my first vette, and unless I've got both hands busy at the time, if I see ya and we're both in a vette, I'm wavin.

Sometimes people wave back, sometimes they don't. I choose to wave, and they can choose for themselves if they'll first or even back. Seen it both ways across all generations, and it doesn't matter. I'll still have my PermaGrin, and probably have the XM turned up, too.

Finally, a rational reply.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:41 PM
doug doo wop
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It's nice to be part of an elite group that acknowledges each other for over 50 tears, so why let it go down the tubes. Corvette owners are no better then other owners but it's been a tradition since the beginning and we should pass this along to new vet owners. I think Chevrolet dealers should pass it on to their buyers or corvettes.It's not as important as our servicemen/women losing lives but let's keep it goin' anyway. Doug
Old 02-07-2005, 06:47 PM
WolfeBros
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 400hp
Lighten up, sounds like you have issues. I also own an Audi A6, but I don't wave at other Audi drivers and if I did and they didn't wave back, I wouldn't care. Sounds like a stalker mentality to me. Why go so far out of your way? Whats the big deal? Just because you have the same car as someone doesn't mean you'll be taking long soapy showers together.
No......he doesn't have issues.
Your response is part of the problem.
The wave was part of the tradition / heritage of owning a great American sports car.....the Corvette. Unfortunately it is dying out because of the way people seem to be so damned wrapped up in themselves these days. I think the C1, C2, and C3 guys know what the wave is about. There are some C4 and C5'ers but not many. Can't speak for the C6'ers but I doubt it.

Lighten up ?? You don't have a clue pal........but you do have an Audi.

Last edited by WolfeBros; 02-07-2005 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:53 PM
400hp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WolfeBros
The wave was part of the tradition / heritage of owning a great American sports car.....the Corvette. Unfortunately it is dying out because of the way people seem to be so damned wrapped up in themselves these days. I think the C1, C2, and C3 guys know what the wave is about. There are some C4 and C5'ers but not many. Can't speak for the C6'ers but I doubt it.

I didn't know the "Corvette Wave" was big problem. You can stamp your feet all you want. The point is I don't need to wave to you just because you drive a Corvette. I will if I feel like it. I was on the fence about this, but you have convinced me even more that you are not the kind of person I need to wave to.

I would also like to add:

Last edited by 400hp; 02-07-2005 at 06:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:57 PM
gpotski
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JiminFL

Old 02-07-2005, 07:01 PM
keen02
Instructor

I wave simply because that's how I was brought up. I've been around Corvettes all my life. My first was a 79, then a 96 CE...now my 01'. I think it's more tradition than anything. It reminds you and other owners that you are lucky enough to enjoy the experience of owning a Corvette.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:12 PM
Rob'sC5
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '05

Old 02-07-2005, 07:13 PM
400hp
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WolfeBros

How old are you anyway?
Old 02-07-2005, 07:15 PM
VA CORVETTE 757
Pro

Can't we all just get a long, it's like we are on the Honda tech forum.

Get notified of new replies

To Is the wave dying?

Old 02-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Dually Driver
Instructor

Here in West Texas everybody waves to everybody no matter what you're driving. Just a polite way of saying Howdy..

Mike
Old 02-07-2005, 07:16 PM
keen02
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2young2driveavette
Can't we all just get a long, it's like we are on the Honda tech forum.
Honda Tech Forum
Old 02-07-2005, 07:16 PM
sxeC7
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'09-'10

[QUOTE=400hp]I didn't know the "Corvette Wave" was big problem. You can stamp your feet all you want. The point is I don't need to wave to you just because you drive a Corvette. I will if I feel like it. I was on the fence about this, but you have convinced me even more that you are not the kind of person I need to wave to.

It's a free country, so don't wave if you don't feel it's a part of the Corvette tradition. But, if you really feel that way, why do you bother posting on this Forum? It could be construed as wanting to associate with others of similar interests, where as you seem to express a non-social attitude.

Quick Reply: Is the wave dying?