Sponsored by:

Tire advice, please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire advice, please.

I'm a little tired of the bump steering on my '99 when driving at higher speeds. The run-flats just don't handle well. I'd like to get some input on a moderately priced non-run-flat that will handle better and perform quieter.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:02 PM
3318C5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just recently bought 4 brand new Toyo T1-S from www.onlinetires.com I know that some here have had problems with this retailer, but I got a great price and some really nice tires.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:04 PM
lanceg1041
Instructor

GS-D3's
Old 05-31-2005, 10:08 PM
army2000
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by 3318C5
I just recently bought 4 brand new Toyo T1-S from www.onlinetires.com I know that some here have had problems with this retailer, but I got a great price and some really nice tires.
Yup, I got the same tires from the same retailer a few months ago before the whole "Tire Fiasco". Great tires and I love the tread pattern. Good luck. These guys also have great deals www.tiresavings.com.
Old 05-31-2005, 10:16 PM
jdee702
Intermediate

I am new to this forum stuff, so hopefully I dont get yelled at....
You opened a real can of worms with that question, everyone has there own opinion. You have to look at your weather/driving conditions, and the way you drive. Do you drive in any water (I am in vegas, so I am looking for better tires that are designed for dry roads only). Is also hot as hell here which is different than New England winters. I personally have Goodyear F1 supercar tires, which blew my doors off compared to my old runflats. However, I also have some tires for the track, BF Goodrich G-Force T/A drag radial. Those also kick ***, but they are a totally different tire for a totally different thing.
My advise it to look around this website and see what other people are saying. I saw a thread the other day were people were just listing all the mods they have done (tires included), that was awesome. The guys on here have so much freaking knowledge all you have to do is read it.
at any rate, good luck.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:05 AM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

I have the Toyo T1-S on all my vehicles except the C5. They stick very well, drain superbly in the rain, and live a long long time ...GREAT tires! On my C5 I run BFG G-Force KD, they drain OK- surprisingly well, and stick VERY well. I am considering T1-S for my stock rims to use in the wet season, as I have the G-Force on Speedline Italy modular wheels.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:52 AM
c5firstimer
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Kumho ASX, worth looking at

After about 6 weeks of research which included reading opinions about tires on the Corvette Forum and others, finding the best pricing, and finding the best outfit with the "right" equipment to dismount and mount new tires, I purchase the Kumho ASX. These are worth a look.

First, for very comprehensive information keep searching here on the Corvette Forum. Do a search in C5 Tech, General, and Wheels and Tire Sections.

Second, try the Tirerack.com for more information regarding lots of tires for your driving style and environment. Look at all the information thats available with them, dig deep and look at reviews and testing. Pricing is hard to beat.

Third, with the Tirerack seach for reputable outfits that have the equipment to dismount run-flats without damage (run-flat certified) to your rims and or tires. Also someone who has the balancing equipment such as the Hunter Road Force.

I chose the Kumho ASX Ultra Performance All Season, non-runflat Tires for my '02 C5 and setup a compressor and tools for fixing a flat.

The Kumho ASX Tires look great. After about 250 miles and adjusting the air pressure up to 33# now, I find that these tires are very good with handling (did give up a little handling over the GY RF's) and are very very quiet. My GY Runflats had 15K miles and were getting very noisy. Kumho's difference is like night and day. I feel like I'm driving a car again, not a 4x4. I highly recommend Kumho.

Also, my experiance with the Tirerack.com has been terrific. I made my purchase thru them and saved about $250 over purchasing locally. I had them shipped to a "Recommended Installer" here in Massachusetts and my experiance has been terrific.

Good luck with your search,

c5firstimer
Old 06-01-2005, 08:10 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 AM
gsmileyoh
Advanced

Originally Posted by lanceg1041
GS-D3's
Put them on after runflats, World apart in Ride Handling & Noise, Great on wet surfaces and bite hard on dry pavement...You'd LOVE THEM
Old 06-01-2005, 09:58 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I did my homework for a few months and researched them all.......came down to a set of Goodyears F1's or Pirelli PZero Nero.

The Pirelli's were over $400 cheaper, so that what I got.
They are much softer, smoother, quieter ride and I've got 17,000 miles on them and I've still get well over half the tread left.
Old 06-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Batmbl
Burning Brakes

Default Thanks to all on the forum. You've been a tremendous help!

Thanks for all the insight and thanks for relating your experiences with different tires. I now can make a more informed choice. Thanks again!
Old 06-01-2005, 03:04 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by gsmileyoh
Put them on after runflats, World apart in Ride Handling & Noise, Great on wet surfaces and bite hard on dry pavement...You'd LOVE THEM
The Goodyear GSD3s are among the very best on dry AND wet surfaces, are very quiet, reduce bump-hop very well, last longer than most super-high performance tires, weigh 24-26 lbs less than runflat tires (set of 4), are competively-priced and best of all, are proudly stamped "MADE IN USA"!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:15 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

i just ordered gs-d3's today, discount tire has free shipping thru today. they were the same as the kuhmo's shipped from tire rack.

couldnt pass it up!
Old 06-01-2005, 06:49 PM
jman1
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get notified of new replies

To Tire advice, please.

Quick Reply: Tire advice, please.