Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIC: "service ABS", code C1243 - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:26 PM
Dr_PimpRide
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default DIC: "service ABS", code C1243 - Advice?

I've checked the codes, and this is what I get:

TCS - C1243 C - BPMV Pump Motor Stalled

I've been getting the "Service ABS/TCS..." DIC code on startup for weeks now, even after clearing the history of the above-mentioned code.

Anyone know what BPMV is, and if there's a fix so I can avoid the whole dealership repair shop nightmare?
Old 06-06-2005, 05:15 PM
WhiteC5Vette
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

BPMV is the brake pressure modulator valve. It is a component that contains valves that are controlled by the EBCM (electronic brake control module). Together, they control the operation of the brakes when in ABS braking mode by releasing pressure to the caliper on a locked wheel; or traction control by applying pressure to a caliper to prevent a wheel from spinning, and during active handling (if so equipped). The BPMV and EBCM are attached and mounted in front of the engine, but to the rear of the steering gear (if my memory serves me right). Kind of a pain in the rear to change.
It is an expensive part, and since to replace it and bleed the lines correctly, you must exercise the internal valves to bleed air out of the chambers; therefore, hard to bleed without a Tech 2.

There is something you can try and that is to pull the fuses and let it sit for a few minutes, then install and see if the code and message returns. If it does, it probably requires replacement, if not it should be ok.
In the underhood junction block pull fuse 52 (40 AMP power feed to Pump motor), fuse 55 (20 AMP solenoid power feed). Fuse 5 (10 AMP) labeled ABSTRANS does not require pulling, since this is ignition On voltage and there will be no power with the ignition switch off. Fuses 52 and 55 are battery positive; therefore, hot at all times that the battery is connected.

As you probably know, normal braking is usually not affected by a malfunctioning BPMV or EBCM; however, ABS braking will be; so be careful.

Last edited by WhiteC5Vette; 06-06-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Mallory
Instructor

I didn't do a code check but I got Service ABS, service traction sys and service Active Hndling. Goes into the dealer tomorrow.

E
Old 05-26-2015, 01:53 PM
SirKnite
Intermediate

Default Frustrating attempt to solve this same problem

Originally Posted by WhiteC5Vette
There is something you can try and that is to pull the fuses and let it sit for a few minutes, then install and see if the code and message returns. If it does, it probably requires replacement, if not it should be ok.
As you probably know, normal braking is usually not affected by a malfunctioning BPMV or EBCM; however, ABS braking will be; so be careful.
Hi,
I have been facing this problem for months now and I have read many threads about this problem. I get the C1243 - BPMV pump stalled also.
It was only happening on first start up and then rarely.I decided to try to solve this and did do all of the grounds, new brake fluid, replaced ignition switch as recommended, and lastly a new Optima Yellow battery. It now does it all the time on first start and doing a restart does not correct the problem until I have driven it some. My previous battery seems to have worked better, however a complete test (including load and conductivity) shows the Optima to have much higher cranking power then the other battery. I notice that it is in the low 11 volt range on the display when turning the ignition on, but I do not remember what it was with the Delco that I had. I really suspect that it is something to do with the voltage/current available during the start up. Only thing left is the relay in the EBCM and the battery ground and positive connections.
Having said all of that, I am wondering how removing the fuses you mention above (with the ignition switch off and car not running?) could have any effect on this problem as no current or voltage should be flowing through it - correct?? can you explain this procedure more fully. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:59 PM
73Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 463 Likes on 374 Posts

Old 05-26-2015, 06:47 PM
99mike
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

Originally Posted by SirKnite
Hi,
I have been facing this problem for months now and I have read many threads about this problem. I get the C1243 - BPMV pump stalled also.
It was only happening on first start up and then rarely.I decided to try to solve this and did do all of the grounds, new brake fluid, replaced ignition switch as recommended, and lastly a new Optima Yellow battery. It now does it all the time on first start and doing a restart does not correct the problem until I have driven it some. My previous battery seems to have worked better, however a complete test (including load and conductivity) shows the Optima to have much higher cranking power then the other battery. I notice that it is in the low 11 volt range on the display when turning the ignition on, but I do not remember what it was with the Delco that I had. I really suspect that it is something to do with the voltage/current available during the start up. Only thing left is the relay in the EBCM and the battery ground and positive connections.
Having said all of that, I am wondering how removing the fuses you mention above (with the ignition switch off and car not running?) could have any effect on this problem as no current or voltage should be flowing through it - correct?? can you explain this procedure more fully. Thanks.
I was getting the same code and started exercising my ABS motor. Last time was back in March and haven't had any TCS codes since. I plan on doing this every 3 months.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-weekend.html
Old 05-26-2015, 09:33 PM
I dream of vettes
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also intermittently getting the ABS and TC lights, usually accompanied by code 1243, 1225 and 1255. I know 1225 is the RF wheel speed sensor so i will have to check on that. 1255 is EBTCM internal malfunction. I've had the issue for about a year but I haven't really investigated the problem yet. I am pretty sure it will be an expensive fix tho. I will try exercising the system as mentioned above and see where it leads me.
Old 05-31-2015, 09:51 PM
fsuforever
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another archive pulled out of the woodwork 1243 is an issue I'm having as well

Get notified of new replies

To DIC: "service ABS", code C1243 - Advice?

Quick Reply: DIC: "service ABS", code C1243 - Advice?