Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats your opinion on a leased vehicle??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2005, 08:58 PM
napacruzerc5
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Bought my '01 as a lease return from a dealer who bought it at auction. Car was barely a year old with 17k in Sept '01 (original in-service date was 9/18/00). Have just a little over 30k on it now. Normal maintenance with what I consider "normal" C5 issues: gas gauge/sender, headlight gears, rock hard OEM run-flats. Bought extended warranty from CF vendor and replaced run-flats with GY F1 GS-D3's. I may have been lucky because I have not have had any major problems. Not may miles but driven fairly hard when driven including several autocrosses. May be luck of the draw (or lease ).
Old 12-20-2005, 09:14 PM
rgtkst
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

most leased cars in 2000 had actual owners not companies. they where leased for $$$$$ reasons. in 2000 there was several lease banks. such as B.O.A, KEY BANK, and WELLS FARGO actively trying to compete against each other. they had HUGE residual values, low money factors and great get in fees not to mention advances available to attract customers their way. what this boiled down to the consumer was instead of say a $650-$900 purchase payment. they would have a $450-$650 lease payment. most people that lease cars are just like people buying cars. they have a payment and they have a car. they only at the end of the lease decide to keep or give back. i have leased 8 cars/suv's as a new car purchase/lease. all of them for my wife to drive. only for the purpose of a lower monthly outgo. she has traded her purchased burb's in every 6-18 months since leases stopped being such a great deal. now G.M. and others are starting to hit the lease market again as sales slumped. our next might well again be a 24-36 months lease. what i am telling you is. LEASE/PURCHASE the same thing could have happened with the car. check it out. have a mech look at it. it is more than likely fine. A RENTAL VETT, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! a leased vette was more than likely just a way for the original guy or gal to have the car of their dreams for less monthly payment. as you can see we hate our cars!!!!!!!! if you pm me your vin i will tell you what the general knows about this vettes life. warranty, delivery, recalls, ect.,
Attached Images  

Last edited by rgtkst; 12-20-2005 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:15 PM
JackTsDBG
Racer

My 2001 was a leased vehicle. The lessor leased it in September 2000 and turned it in 42 months later. He/she put 5400 miles on it during that time. Right car, right color and condition. GM check and CarFax showed nothing, so I bought it. No problems.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:06 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I am on my third lease vehicle at work. Each of them has been as well cared for as my Corvette. The company pays the lease and maintenance costs. They are all dealer maintained and all recommended service is done. I would not hesitate to buy a previously leased vehicle.
Now as to the price. $25K tops.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:48 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 518 Likes on 315 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 thru '24
Oldtimer

I've had good and bad experiences with leased car purchase. I think it depended on who leased the car and how well they were able to follow the servicing on the car.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:46 PM
Gofasterdad
Racer

Originally Posted by MAJ Z06
Lease rhymes with fleece.

Don't do it -

Quick Reply: Whats your opinion on a leased vehicle??