Sponsored by:

Need some help from lawyers and or military types about sales tax

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 08:06 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Received 2,368 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Default Need some help from lawyers and or military types about sales tax

Ok...I need to register the Z I just bought. In theory, there are 3 states I can get away with registering the car in. Florida...state of legal residence, Virginia...where I currently live, or Texas....where Im moving in less than a month. Tax rate for FL is 6%, VA is 5%, and TX is 6.25%. Question is, what state am I better off registering the car in? Also, Ive heard that in some states, Military is exempt from paying sales tax when registering cars. Any truth to this?? Other things to consider....FL....no state inspection, no front plate. VA....state inspection, yearly fees?? TX....state inspection. Any thoughts or help would be much appriciated. Im trying to minimize the amount of cash I need to shell out to register this damn thing. Oh, yea, one more thing...I still have the plates from my 2002 Z06 in FL....can I just transfer those to the new car and register it without having to pay sales tax on the new one??
Old 02-07-2006, 08:37 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

ttt
Old 02-07-2006, 08:38 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

TTT
Old 02-07-2006, 08:42 PM
AJLEVI
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yess some states military is exempt california is one but you need to contact dmv in each state dmv is not connected via all states each is independent . check it
Old 02-07-2006, 08:49 PM
Silver98
Burning Brakes

When I was in the Navy, I bought a car in Florida while holding a PA driver's license. I was later assigned to Idaho. That would have put me under the "3 state law". Operating a vehicle in a state, with quasi-legal residence, plates from a 2nd state and Dl from a 3rd.
The other item of note, I paid 5% sales tax in FLA, the sales tax in PA was / is 6%. In order to register the car in PA, I had to pay the state 1% of the sales slip's value.

Good Luck Navy
Old 02-07-2006, 08:56 PM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

Greg, i registered mine when i bougth it in VA since it was the cheapest sales tax, comparied to IL Cook County which is like 6.75% i am excempt from the yearly VA tax since im in the military and i just send them a copy of my LES and im excempt for that year, i plan on switching back to my home of record, IL in a few months. the only thing im waiting on is the tax deprecsion to equal out. so when i switch over i wont have to repay sales tax their. IL has a form you fill out and it tells you how much you still own or dont depending on how long you have owned the car, theres a forumal you follow. anyway after a year and a half i would still pay IL like $375, so ill just wait a few months ill just pay to swap the tags and reg. Anyway i would reg. it here and look into FL dmv and see if they do the same thing for the military and registering in FL with the excemption of taxes. i hope im making sense right now...im in psych class and am trying to type and pay attention at the same time.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:58 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

ahhhhh...this whole thing is a royal pain in the ***...I think Im under the 3 state law as well......license from Massachusettes, legal resident of FL, currently living in VA, moving to texas....someone shoot me
Old 02-07-2006, 09:08 PM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

ok heres what ya do, reg in va. move to tx. get a license their and insurance there. FL will still be your home of record, its just tx will be where you reside. when the time comes swap your plates to fl if you want since you dont have to run a front plate. you will be within the 3 state law, ufcorse this is all if you want to do that, hope this helps.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:09 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by illmac77
Greg, i registered mine when i bougth it in VA since it was the cheapest sales tax, comparied to IL Cook County which is like 6.75% i am excempt from the yearly VA tax since im in the military and i just send them a copy of my LES and im excempt for that year, i plan on switching back to my home of record, IL in a few months. the only thing im waiting on is the tax deprecsion to equal out. so when i switch over i wont have to repay sales tax their. IL has a form you fill out and it tells you how much you still own or dont depending on how long you have owned the car, theres a forumal you follow. anyway after a year and a half i would still pay IL like $375, so ill just wait a few months ill just pay to swap the tags and reg. Anyway i would reg. it here and look into FL dmv and see if they do the same thing for the military and registering in FL with the excemption of taxes. i hope im making sense right now...im in psych class and am trying to type and pay attention at the same time.

sounds good Mike, thanks for the info. Ill just go ahead and register it here if military is at least exept from the yearly fee. That'll make things simpler any way. On another note....why the hell do you guys get internet in your psych class and we cant even get onto NMCI to check our email in this damn ISSM class? At least youre making an attempt at paying attention, which is more than Ive been doing
Old 02-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Armadillo
Racer

Unless you're hung up about where you have your D.L., it shouldn't be a big deal to get a TX license. I think most states recripocate on that. You will have to pay the tax if you register the car here I believe. But, if you can prove you paid the tax elsewhere, they won't charge you for it here.

Last edited by Armadillo; 02-07-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:39 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Armadillo
Unless you're hung up about where you have your D.L., it shouldn't be a big deal to get a TX license. I think most states recripocate on that. You will have to pay the tax if you register the car here I believe.

what advantage would there be to switching my drivers license to TX?? The only time the 3 state thing has ever come into play....I got pulled over while living in TX w/ TX insurence, FL plates, and MA license.....the trooper was so confused as to where to start the paperwork, he let me go with a warning
Old 02-07-2006, 09:58 PM
konish
Instructor

I'm AD Navy and a LOT of guys (inclduing myself) would register and title in Oregon...no sales tax at all, and plates cost a few bucks. Being in the military, I didn't even have to have an Oregon address. I didn't pay a dime of taxes to register and title my Harley in Oregon...saved me something like $600 if memory serves.

I fly with TACAMO out of Tinker AFB, OK and they have a military registration fee which is pretty cheap...I think $20. But they still stick it to you for vehicle purchases that need to be titled in OK.

R/
D
Old 02-07-2006, 10:02 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by konish
I'm AD Navy and a LOT of guys (inclduing myself) would register and title in Oregon...no sales tax at all, and plates cost a few bucks. Being in the military, I didn't even have to have an Oregon address. I didn't pay a dime of taxes to register and title my Harley in Oregon...saved me something like $600 if memory serves.

I fly with TACAMO out of Tinker AFB, OK and they have a military registration fee which is pretty cheap...I think $20. But they still stick it to you for vehicle purchases that need to be titled in OK.

R/
D

woa......so how exactly do you go about registering a vehicle in Oregon if you live on the other side of the country??
Old 02-07-2006, 10:30 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Bought 3 cars in Tx and didn't pay sales tax. Cost me a fortune in NV but I get the annual rebate for registration fees
Old 02-07-2006, 11:03 PM
soccerguy59
Intermediate

Default flynavy30

sidenote from a fellow nmci person, OWA will be available in the near future.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:17 PM
FLYNAVY30
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by soccerguy59
sidenote from a fellow nmci person, OWA will be available in the near future.

sorry, but youre gonna have to spell that one out for me Im somewhat less than computer literate which is why Im wondering why they decided I was the best candidate for the ISSM job. Ive been scribbling notes like a mad man during this class and trying to pick up as much as I can but its a definate struggle
Old 02-08-2006, 12:09 AM
illmac77
Melting Slicks

CI 7-8 Veteran
CI 8 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '07

owa outlook web access, i think thats what it is called, this will allow you to check your navy.mil account from home. but the ban on outside personel email accouts will still be inaffect for all nmci computers.

Get notified of new replies

To Need some help from lawyers and or military types about sales tax

Old 02-08-2006, 03:50 AM
freemanjc
Racer

Also,

Don't forget that you do not have to pay sales tax for active duty military in South Carolina. You just need to have a residence and address! I have done twice, and to only transfer the tags to VA. I know it's shady, but the money they are making of of the taxes in Virginia (COMMONWEALTH), screww them!

R.

Free
Old 02-08-2006, 07:23 AM
dunbindun(tov)
Safety Car

I'm a retired Navy submariner now living in GA. SC is good to military folks if you are not a SC resident. Sales tax is capped at $300 and you get an exemption from paying personal property tax.

You did not mention if you were married. If so, do not register car jointly as spouse is not protected (I learned this the hard way in VA). Also do not lease the vehicle as the military protections do not extend to leased vehicles.

Do an internet search of these atates dmvs for current accurate info.

Don't have specific knowledge of other questions. Enjoy your ride!

DBD

Last edited by dunbindun(tov); 02-08-2006 at 07:41 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:39 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 569 Likes on 346 Posts

Default toying with disaster?

i know that its FUN to try to beat the system. why bother when you can get burnt on a problem i.e. accident, insurance claim, etc.,etc., etc.?????

Quick Reply: Need some help from lawyers and or military types about sales tax