Sponsored by:

preparing for a 3000+ mile roadtrip

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:48 PM
ls1vette97
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preparing for a 3000+ mile roadtrip

A month from now I'll be taking a trip from south florida all the way to Connecticut and back in my vette. I have a few concerns though, first being the clutch. The clutch itself never slips, but sometimes it will stick to the floor! I'm guessin it will be alright seeing it will be all highway miles with little clutch abuse, correct? Second of all I'm going to be making the trip on a set of half worn Nitto 555R drag radials.... I know it's probably not the best idea, but again it should be alright? Hopefully all goes well, and I will have many cool photos to post from the trip!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:00 PM
badwhitecorvette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 1999 w/auto tranny so I know nothing about the clutch. But as far as everything else goes. I do alot of traveling in my Vette. I've done a couple of trips from DC to Orlando to Houston and back up to DC. And I've done DC to Michigan a few times.

Just make sure your routine maitnance is up to date and you and the Vette would be fine.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:02 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the drag radials would be a little problematic if you run into any rain....
Old 04-11-2006, 01:02 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1vette97
A month from now I'll be taking a trip from south florida all the way to Connecticut and back in my vette. I have a few concerns though, first being the clutch. The clutch itself never slips, but sometimes it will stick to the floor! I'm guessin it will be alright seeing it will be all highway miles with little clutch abuse, correct? Second of all I'm going to be making the trip on a set of half worn Nitto 555R drag radials.... I know it's probably not the best idea, but again it should be alright? Hopefully all goes well, and I will have many cool photos to post from the trip!

You will be riding that clutch around NYC; it will potentially get a lot of use because traffic going into CT can be at a standstill or very slow. I've been known to shut the car off trying to get into and around the city. It took me 1 hour to travel 1/2 mile to the George Washington Bridge one night.

As far as the drag radial tires: I am not familiar with those, but it was my experience a long time ago that the sidewalls would not hold up to the continual flexing of prolonged highway speeds. Maybe someone else can comment on that.

If you are heading that way, enjoy the trip, wish I was heading that way myself.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:16 PM
Billdog350
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Vettesmith might be right about the drag radials....make sure they can handle the extended highway travel.

Also, take the NJ tpke to the Tappan Zee and then go up the Merrit Pkwy to wherever you need to go in CT...unless you need western CT, then you can go up to 84....either way avoid NYC like the plague!
Old 04-11-2006, 02:28 PM
KidCid
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

From Florida to DC is not bad but once you get to DC things change dramatically. My family lives in CT and I've made the DC to CT run at least 25 times in the past couple of years due to my dad's failing health (he has since passed). I know all the workarounds as far as traffic goes, please PM me if you'd like details on how to minimize (you can never remove it anymore) the pain of this ride.

Get notified of new replies

To preparing for a 3000+ mile roadtrip

Quick Reply: preparing for a 3000+ mile roadtrip