Techron Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 09:00 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Techron Question

I am going on a 1000 mile trip in a few weeks. I always add techron in my tank and it sits for a few weeks, Before I have to fill up again. If I put it in on that long trip and drive the first tank of gas off in the same day. Would it be a waste for the use of that Techron? Does it work better if it sits in the tank longer?

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-08-2006, 09:37 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by screw991le
I am going on a 1000 mile trip in a few weeks. I always add techron in my tank and it sits for a few weeks, Before I have to fill up again. If I put it in on that long trip and drive the first tank of gas off in the same day. Would it be a waste for the use of that Techron? Does it work better if it sits in the tank longer?

What are your thoughts?
Mine cleaned up on a 1,000 mile trip. It took two bottles same as everyone has been saying (fuel level sensors). The injectors well I wasn't having any problems with them, but it needs to go through them to clean them so I'd say driving works better
Old 07-08-2006, 10:00 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03

I put it in via Chevron gas and then it's driven about every other day or so. I say it's probably better for the fuel system driven and it doesn't matter either way for the gas guage problems.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:04 AM
screw991le
Race Director

I do not have the gas gauge problem, I was thinking what would be better, letting it sit or using it up all in one trip.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:13 AM
eddie44
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by screw991le
I do not have the gas gauge problem, I was thinking what would be better, letting it sit or using it up all in one trip.
My point was if you're looking for the Techron to clean your fuel system then it's best put it in and drive the 1000 mi. If you had the guage problem then letting it soak in a full tank of gas w/ Techron would probably be best. Depends on what you're looking for the Techron to do.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:15 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Thanks that is what I was looking for, people's opinons.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:20 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

The additive is designed to be run through the system not to sit. Theres a logic to letting it soak but I'd run it through.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:33 AM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion, you are wasting your money to put it in and then drive 1000 miles. You are better off putting it in and doing normal daily driving or a lot of short trips. You want the fuel with additive to soak into the carbon on the backs of the intake valves and tops of the pistons. I heard this advice from a radio automotive talk show host here in the Northern VA area who is also hosted on the PBS TV show Motor Week. You guess the name. Certainly not going to hurt anything by running it through on a long trip, just may not be as effective at cleaning up the deposits. I use the BG44K product in my car every 7500mi or once per year. I know the Techron product is also good. Good luck with it.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

IMHO using a top tier gasoline like Shell is the long term answer but I put Tectron or Red line in my tank occasionally to clean the system/injectors.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:11 AM
tnarg
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06-'08

Default Size Matters...

Rich:

Techron comes in two (2) sizes. 12 oz. and 20 oz. I had the sensor problem and used the 12 oz. size several times. Didn't really do much good.

A couple weeks ago, after I realized there were two sizes, I used the 20 oz. and the car sat for a few days. For the first time in almost a year, the gauge went to full. Previously it didn't quite make it all the way to full. Also, the gauge would go to empty after 30-40 miles. I just finished driving about 1,000 miles, 400, 400 and 200. No problems so far.

I'd recommend running tank low, add 20 oz., fill with top tier gasoline, allow to set for a few days and then see how things look.

Obviously didn't hurt anything. Drove from Missouri to Indiana, speed limit plus (July 4th weekend with LEO's) and with air conditioning on. Get this, 34.1 MPG.

Good Luck,

Grant

Last edited by tnarg; 07-08-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Yello95
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,227 Likes on 874 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I use BG44K every 4K miles....so far I have used it 2 times..and I just run it through...no soaking.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:25 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by jcs712
In my opinion, you are wasting your money to put it in and then drive 1000 miles. You are better off putting it in and doing normal daily driving or a lot of short trips. You want the fuel with additive to soak into the carbon on the backs of the intake valves and tops of the pistons. I heard this advice from a radio automotive talk show host here in the Northern VA area who is also hosted on the PBS TV show Motor Week. You guess the name. Certainly not going to hurt anything by running it through on a long trip, just may not be as effective at cleaning up the deposits. I use the BG44K product in my car every 7500mi or once per year. I know the Techron product is also good. Good luck with it.
I pretty much take anything Pat Goss says with a grain of salt. I've seen enough of him over the years to know he's a little full of himself.
I agree with the others about using the Techron up on the 1000 mi. drive. I think that amount of relatively steady state driving would give a good chance to do a good job.
I've been using Red Line SI-1 (3.5-4oz) in each tank since I've owned mine. I carry 6 pre-measured containers with me. That's good for approx. 1900-2000 miles before re-stocking my containers. I use a full bottle at oil change time. When I installed my Z06 intake manifold a couple years ago, I got a good look inside several cylinders and saw valves that were pretty clean. Just a little reddish-brown dis-coloration, which is normal. Happy with it.
HTH,
Robert
Old 07-09-2006, 10:08 AM
SUPERCRUZ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I pretty much take anything Pat Goss says with a grain of salt. I've seen enough of him over the years to know he's a little full of himself.
I agree with the others about using the Techron up on the 1000 mi. drive. I think that amount of relatively steady state driving would give a good chance to do a good job.
I've been using Red Line SI-1 (3.5-4oz) in each tank since I've owned mine. I carry 6 pre-measured containers with me. That's good for approx. 1900-2000 miles before re-stocking my containers. I use a full bottle at oil change time. When I installed my Z06 intake manifold a couple years ago, I got a good look inside several cylinders and saw valves that were pretty clean. Just a little reddish-brown dis-coloration, which is normal. Happy with it.
HTH,
Robert
Respect your opinion. The CF is a great place to get information, but to be honest, there is a lot of misinfomration and bad advice mixed in with the good. As I said, putting in the additive and running a thousand miles is not going to hurt anything.

As for taking Mr. Goss' advice with a grain of salt, you be the judge. He has run a repair shop in MD for well over 30 yrs, been on TV and radio for over 20yrs, has access to industry insiders, marketers, and engineers, writes columns for the Washington Post and the Corvette Club of America, and has owned over 50 Corvettes in his lifetime. Yeah, I will take his advice with a grain of salt.

To be honest, you are spending a lot of money putting in the Red Line additive at every fill up. Great for your car, bad for your pocket. In my opinion, it does not make economic sense just as adding Techron and running it through on a 1000 mi trip does not make sense to me where you may not realize the full benefits of the additive. Only offering my opinion here based on information from an expert. Good luck with it.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:14 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Interesting discussion

Take your point about misinformation jcs712 but this is a Discussion Forum. You get opinions. In my experience here, when someone chimes in with bad information its corrected pretty quickly.

I'm not sure there's a hard answer to this question. It's ultimately speculation based on soft facts.

How about a good old British compromise. Run a bottle through on the trip and then let one sit on his return. $14 and the best of both worlds

Last edited by DeeGee; 07-09-2006 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:37 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Interesting discussion

Take your point about misinformation jcs712 but this is a Discussion Forum. You get opinions. In my experience here, when someone chimes in with bad information its corrected pretty quickly.

I'm not sure there's a hard answer to this question. It's ultimately speculation based on soft facts.

How about a good old British compromise. Run a bottle through on the trip and then let one sit on his return. $14 and the best of both worlds

It's a good idea one thing about the fuel gauge issue is that it's not just a question of the sensors as there are two of them and the computer (not sure which one) tells the dash what to display. So I'm sure its not always the senders. Yesterday I filled up the indicator said 1/8 tank it took 16.5 gallons to fill so it was right before the fill. Switch on and go and it says 3/4 tank I know it's full so switch off and back on bingo! says full now.. There was an upgrade to the PCM program which was supposed to adress this issue but I have the latest and it still doesn't always work correctly. Almost makes one believe that Microsoft did the programming.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:19 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Techron is corresive and recommended at each oil change. I would be cautious running it more often then that.

Get notified of new replies

To Techron Question

Quick Reply: Techron Question