Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How Has Your Battery Performed?
My AC Delco is still performing well
34.45%
My AC Delco died but caused no damage
21.34%
My AC Delco died and damaged my car or resulted in problems
4.63%
I now have an Optima Red Top and it has performed well
27.51%
I now have an Optima Red Top but it has given problems
6.68%
I now have an Exide and it has performed well
3.60%
now have an Exide but it has given problems
0.77%
I now have another type of battery and it has performed well
14.65%
I now have another type of battery but it has given problems
1.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 778. You may not vote on this poll

Whats Your View On Battery Performance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 03:29 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by bestvettever
Hello, The above conclusion is a bit skewed because the Delco's would on average have had more cumulative years of use than the replacements, so by virtue of that fact, saying that the delco's are worse would not be statisticly sound if taking in to consideration the length of use of each brand, which should be included in the factoring. In essence the original batteries ,(Delco), were used longer than the replacements were up to this point in time, and should have had more failures by now because of that. Eventually every battery will fail leaving a 100% failure rate.
My experience has been good with Delco's, I replaced the OEM in my 03 Anniv Vert in Aug 07, But since I bought the car used I don't know if the original owner used a Battery Maintainer, as we all should on low mileage cars, the oem was 3 1/2 yrs old and failed without warning, but caused no damage. I replaced it with a new Pro series Delco and now use a maintainer, and I fully expect 6 to 10 years of use from it. I have a Delco that I've used in a few cars and now sits on my workbench and is used for other things, I bought it in 1999, it still holds a charge and will start a car, I have a;ways used a maintainer on it. I had a Motorcraft battery in my 89 Mustang that I used for 13 years and it still started the car when I sold the car, I always used a maintainer on it to. I think you can see what my point is. Almost every battery will last and give good service if it is maintained properly. I like Delco more than most because they are clean and barring the few unfortunate leakers which were due to improper consideration of the amount of tightening that would be used on the terminals,( and has subsequently been corrected by Delco engineers by buttressing the terminal areas), I'm positive that they will give me as good as or better service life than others and be cleaner doing it.
Luck to All.
Lies and da$£6D statistics

You just pulled a quote I made in September 2006

I think I just agreed with what you said just today. The poll will probably run its course soon because even the best original batteries will be about to die after 5 years plus.

Even so, I think the OEM Delcos, for whatever reason, had a problem. There were way too many failures. I had a leaker and a premature failure and both cars were DDs. That said I had an Optima Red Top die too but it sat idle for 8 weeks.

I don't intend to preach on the topic but anyone who is sitting on an OEM AC Delco is playing with fire in my view. Just look at the many threads on the damage caused by leaking batteries. JMHO

Last edited by DeeGee; 02-17-2008 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 03:54 PM
craig04c5
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Lies and da$£6D statistics

You just pulled a quote I made in September 2006

I think I just agreed with what you said just today. The poll will probably run its course soon because even the best original batteries will be about to die after 5 years plus.

Even so, I think the OEM Delco's, for whatever reason, had a problem. There were way too many failures. I had a leaker and a premature failure and both cars were DDs. That said I had an Optima Red Top die too but it sat idle for 8 weeks.

I don't intend to preach on the topic but anyone who is sitting on an OEM AC Delco is playing with fire in my view. Just look at the many threads on the damage caused by leaking batteries. JMHO
Not everyone! My 2004 came with top post and is 4 years old. I am having a problem finding any battery except a Delco type 86 or Red Top Type 25. The Red Top is $171.00 and the Delco is $134.....ouch. Because mine is a top post I am looking for any battery that does not have side post and fits my car and doesn't cost so much.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:29 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Justy do the Big 3 upgrade and everone is happy
Old 02-17-2008, 04:36 PM
e6bailey
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What should my Bat. Volts being running at?
Old 02-17-2008, 05:25 PM
CJR2
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Big 3 upgrade?

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
Justy do the Big 3 upgrade and everone is happy
What's the Big 3 upgrade?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:04 PM
oaks99
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

my 99 was on my 2nd delco when i bought it in 05 it died in 06 replaced with red top and it went bad last winter and they replaced it free .

oak
Old 02-17-2008, 06:20 PM
vettelover84
Melting Slicks

Not sure how old my Red Top Optima is but its looked great here in the VERY VERY COLD Colorado weather!!!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:39 PM
CJR2
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by CJR2
What's the Big 3 upgrade?

Big 3 upgrade?

Quick Reply: Whats Your View On Battery Performance?