Sponsored by:

Axle problem...perhaps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 01:33 AM
BJ98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Axle problem...perhaps?

I'm getting a clanking noise from the left rear axle (usually at take offs and when changing directions at normal or low speeds). I've checked everything and am pretty convinced that it is the axle. Buuut, I checked other threads and could't find any discussions about axles. Is this a problem for 98 vettes or could I have mis-diagnosed the problem?......bj98
Old 09-13-2006, 11:14 AM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ98
I'm getting a clanking noise from the left rear axle (usually at take offs and when changing directions at normal or low speeds). I've checked everything and am pretty convinced that it is the axle. Buuut, I checked other threads and could't find any discussions about axles. Is this a problem for 98 vettes or could I have mis-diagnosed the problem?......bj98
Did you check the axle nut torque and the spline as discussed in the attached post?

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1422289
Old 09-14-2006, 11:16 PM
BJ98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Don't know how I missed this thread but seems to describe the exact problem I'm experiencing. Can't wait for the weekend to have my son do the work. Thanks a bunch (love this site)...bj98
Old 09-16-2006, 06:17 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ98
Awesome! Don't know how I missed this thread but seems to describe the exact problem I'm experiencing. Can't wait for the weekend to have my son do the work. Thanks a bunch (love this site)...bj98
Be sure to read all the way to the end of the thread. I started out convinced that I had a CV joint going out, and ended up fixing the problem by lubricating the CV joint hub and spline where it seats against the back of the bearing. The key is to get the hub lubricated and not just to spray lubricant on the spline. The spline is not actually causing the noise.

Get notified of new replies

To Axle problem...perhaps?

Quick Reply: Axle problem...perhaps?