C5 Audio Upgrade Help??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:25 PM
Logg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Default C5 Audio Upgrade Help??

This may have been covered but I could not find it. I have a 99 coupe with Bose audio. I would like to keep the stock head unit and changer but replace everything else with aftermarket. I have a 50Wrms X 4 channel alpine amp and one set of 6.5 polk audio speakers already from a past car. I would like to run one pair of 6.5 polks in the doors and another pair replacing the rears. All 4 polks would be used as stereo mid bass and tweets. I would then like to run a single 10" sub in the rear compartment for lower end. My question is, can I run two pairs of 6.5's using channel 1 & 2 off the amp ? Would I bridge 3 & 4 for the single sub ? Can this configuration be done with the stock head unit? What type of wiring adaptor do I need to use for this set up? Can the amp handle the parallel speakers on front channel 1 & 2 ? What is the best location for the amp in a C5? I'm looking for clean and clear not loud and thumping. Any help or suggestions with this would be greatly appreiated. Thanks
Old 10-12-2006, 12:37 PM
RedY2K
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jeff, you might get a better response if you put this in the Audio Forum. Under "Forums" go to "General Corvette" and then you'll see a forum named "Audio/Electronics". Some of the folks that hang out there really know car sound systems well.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Sundevil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The audio forum is great. But a quick answer on some of your questions is that the head unit is very limiting (what you can do with it) and amplification of the front speakers is done at the speaker, not at the head unit. As for the amp, putting two four ohm speakers in parallel results in a 2ohm load on that channel of the amp which will result in higher current flowing through the amp...possibly damaging the amp. Bridging the sub across channels 3 and 4 is a common setup on amps IF the amp is bridgeable (usually says right on the amp housing if ok to do that), otherwise, again you risk damaging the amp.

Lots of things to consider.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Audio Upgrade Help??

Quick Reply: C5 Audio Upgrade Help??