Old 10-23-2006, 07:31 AM
btchn99
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "Never play games with a bitch who can play them better" NE PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII & IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Found a 98 on autotrader that had no pictures. I was very interested---low miles---close and decent price. That was on a Saturday. I called the guy and placed a $250 deposit to hold th car for me. On monday he said the car hadn't reched his lot yet but would be there that day---I was looking for some pics.. Tuesday, Wednesday same thing--Thursday I finally got pics AFTER I called again. I was still interested. Friday I got a VM at home saying that there were two parts bad that his mechanic discovered and that the parts would not be in til Tuesday (we were going to see the car on Saturday) He asked if we still wanted to make the trip and we decided it was in our best interest to do so and really check out the car. So Saturday---a 3.5 hour trip one way--and on our way we were.. We got there it was raining. He gave us the keys to check it out---ok--crap!!! There were **** missing all over the car, some crap blew out of the vents when we tried the air and heat, their was glue all over the inside where they had the wood glue on crap and peeled it off, the top leaked, the body lines were off badly and the fender was not even bolted to the car on the bottom front. We could not take the car for a ride because the windshield wipers didn't work. His attitude was---well it's not inspected yet---then he wanted an additional $500 to help HIM cover the cost of the repairs. We decided on the way home that we did not want this car---then he gave me a hard time about refunding our deposit. He even had the ***** to say that we didn't ask to take the car for a ride---uh---hello---no wipers + pouring rain = I DON'T THINK SO!! We made a discput with out CC company and I sent him a registered letter explaining the law to him---so far--a refund, nothing from him and he still has the car for sale---at least it is still listed on autotrader. I then found another one on autotrader in Jersey---this one we went to see first and ended up buying it.

If you can see it and inspect it in some form---be it you or asking a forum member or finding a reputable garage that will do it for you---do that before you hand any money over.

BTW---the new lot was Ramsey Corp (ramseycorp.com in Jersey) What a great place to deal with---not to pleased with their choice of warranty companies but they were great---even sent me a card thanking me for my business---the rotten lot was South Point Auto (NY)--I wouldn't wish them on anyone..

Last edited by btchn99; 10-23-2006 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:35 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by VLVETTE
Basically I did. I ordered it over the phone, Then drove 100 miles to pic it up.
Same here except 200 miles. I bought a new 04 CE vert with every option, so it wasn't too tough to know what I was buying. I know I wouldn't be able to buy a used car sight unseen.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:24 AM
...Mark...
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine in the heart of winter from Palantine Chevrolet outside of Chicago, and got a smoking deal too. I had an independent inspection company check it out for me and flew out on a Saturday morning and drove it 750 miles straight home all in one looooooong @ss day..

5am - woke up
6:30 - arrived at Hartfield/Jackson
8am - flight departed
10am - arrived at Midway
10:30 -sales rep from the Chevy dealer picked me up
12:00 - got done w/ the paperwork and hit the road
11pm - 750 miles later i was at a carwash under the flood lights cleaning the bugs off 3 miles away from my house.
11:30 - crashed out..
Old 10-23-2006, 09:45 AM
coujac
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Bought mine from Rogers Corvette Center. I flew down from Maryland and drove it home that weekend. They were great to deal with!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:18 AM
6 Shooter
Melting Slicks

Received 1,211 Likes on 684 Posts

Yep, but I did have a friend from the forum go look at/drive it for me!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:39 AM
blacksofttop
Instructor

Found mine on Autotrader.com at a Chevrolet dealer in north Chicago, made a deal on the phone, sent a $2000 deposit by email, drove there and picked it up a week later. With only 10k miles on a 2000, I wasn't worried about any surprises, and there weren't any! Car was perfect, just as they described, and I've put 7000 miles on it this summer, (bought it in April of this year), with no problems at all.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:47 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 731 Likes on 464 Posts

Yup. Bought my 02Z brand new from a dealership in Manhattan. I live close to Pittsburgh. The wife located it on the internet, we called the dealership, fed ex'd the paperwork, and they delivered the car right to my front door. Perfect condition with 6 miles on the od. Would I do it again? Absolutely.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

I have purchased 2 vettes without seeing them in person. The first one I bought through ebay. It was an 01 Speedway White coupe. The second car is an 02 MY Z06 bought from a fellow corvetteforum member. Of the 2 experiences, I was most happy with the second experience. Not sure exactly why. Could be I had finally figured out the right vette for me and I got everything and more that I expected. Also, the people on corvetteforum are generally vette fanatics and take good care of their cars. They also gain a reputation if they make a reasonable number of posts. People with good reputations have integrity, which gives you confidence to buy sight unseen. That is how it worked for me when I bought from RandyVettes.

I don't like the ebay experience because in my view it is all tilted toward the seller. He knows the car and there is little time for you to do your homework because of the time limitation. You also don't know anything about the seller.

Before buying any car sight unseen I would recommend driving a similar car in your area to see that you like the car. I think if I had followed this advice, I would not have bought my first car. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but because I like having a manual transmission and it has an automatic. Had I test drove both, I would have gone with a stick.

To close, know what you want and deal with people of integrity and you won't go wrong.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:56 AM
stock c5
Instructor

Just found mine on Craigslist, it was local but I was ready to buy before I even touched the car. By his description alone I felt it was a good deal. Turned out to be ok afterall.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:09 AM
Z06-Gator
Instructor

Located mine on Ebay, watched it until the end of the auction and when it did not sell I called the dealership and started the deal. Turns out it is a very reputable automotive group in the Cincinnati Oh area who bent over backwards to get me all of the info and pics needed to close the deal. They even helped me arrange enclosed transport to get her to Florida. Did the deal in the winter so there was snow on the ground which I wanted no part of driving in. Still was very nerve wracking but I would not hesitate to deal sight unseen with this particular dealership again. No hidden suprises at all.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:12 AM
Fredjackson
Intermediate

Bought my '97 two months ago, 6,000 miles on it in perfect condition, original tires. Only saw pictures on internet through Corvette Palace.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:39 AM
rickko
Drifting

Found mine in AutoTrader. I was in southern CA, car in MN. Had it trucked to my home.

It was sold by Matt at Country Chevrolet in Annandale MN. Excellent experience.

The whole process seemed to take about a month from day of deposit (used VISA card) to date of delivery. Making the deal comprised of a few phone calls, emails, wire transfers and some photos taken for me by Matt.

Car left MN on a snowy day in Feb. Arrived in CA on a rainy day in Mar. Since then its become a garage queen. It gets driven about 300 mi/mo. and never sees rain.

Pics of its departure and arrival can be seen by clicking on My Corvette Photos under my Avatar. Unfortunately they got loaded in reverse order so they should be viewed from botton to top.

Car has been perfect.

Aftermarket mods since delivery
Z06 swaybars
Z06 titainium exhaust
Hurst shifter
Delco drilled & slotted rotors
Complete interior sound/heat insulation kit
Window Valet
Vette Net
LoJack
Aluminum gas pedal
Blackwing a/c
Velocity stack
Stainless steel Debris screen
Other miscellaneous do-dads

Last edited by rickko; 10-23-2006 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:22 PM
ChefBoy
Instructor

Originally Posted by VFM
I bought mine from Corvette Palace, sight unseen. Had it shipped to <Altadena, CA>. The Car is Perfect. No problems and the people were great.
Same experience, different shipping location. I couldn't agree more. I would buy from them again in a second ...

CB
Old 10-23-2006, 01:05 PM
almondted
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by VFM
I bought mine from Corvette Palace, sight unseen. Had it shipped to BC, Canada. The Car is Perfect. No problems and the people were great.

I'm third in line for Corvette Palace! Was delivered to my door in perfect condition as they described it to be. Easy transaction and still love the car. Now it's a California car...
Old 10-23-2006, 01:08 PM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

I found mine on E-bay. It was located in Overland Park, Ks where I have family. So I had my Dad and brother in law run by and check it out. It was flawless and still under full warranty, so I bought it. I've been pleased as punch since, and I got a great deal.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:11 PM
stlvette
Instructor

Default I did

I live in St. Louis and bought mine from a guy in Chicago.....The car was in pristine condition just as he described....I also got 8 pics from him to.....I got such good deal and the car only had 16,350 miles on it...I don't regret a thing......I love it everyday!
Old 10-23-2006, 01:25 PM
BadAV
Race Director

Received 2,711 Likes on 1,720 Posts

I bought mine sight-unseen on an eBay listing from Five-Star Motors in Olathe, KS. There were a ton of pictures on the listing; it only had 1550 miles on it. I checked out the BBB listings, all of their feedback, and talked to the owner for a while prior to buying.

When I got there the car was exactly as described; it was a great experience. You have to do your homework before doing something like this or, as suggested, try to find a local forum member to look at the car for you.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone buy their C5 sight unseen?

Old 10-23-2006, 01:34 PM
MiamiCowboy
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by VFM
I bought mine from Corvette Palace, sight unseen. Had it shipped to BC, Canada. The Car is Perfect. No problems and the people were great.
Ditto.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:35 PM
DONSMARVET
Instructor

I also bought mine from Corvette Palace, sight unseen. Had it shipped to NJ. I would also buy from them again...'03 50th Annie. 6740 miles then-25500 miles now...loved every mile...

Don
Old 10-23-2006, 01:36 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Bought my 02 Z sight unseen

Quick Reply: Anyone buy their C5 sight unseen?