Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance money and sales tax.

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 12:54 PM
unionlandlord
C5 General
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Boosted in Manhattan & Round Rock TX. President of the Non Club Club of Kansas and Round Rock , Not the flat part.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance money and sales tax.

If a car is totaled out and the insurance gives you lets say 20k.
You buy a 20k car to replace it do you have to pay sales tax on the
replacement car?

If so that would be close to $1,400 out of pocket you need to make up.

I was just wondering my car is fine, I saw a post that made me think about this.

Thanks,
Paul G.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In Missouri, If you replace a car thats been totaled, or that you have sold privately, within I believe it's 6 months, then there is a form you complete to get back part of the sales tax you paid on the replacement car. You should be able to get the form at a license office or on the internet from the state DMV. Call the license office. They can tell you if this applies in your state and what the guidelines are.

Last edited by PierEagle; 02-05-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,335 Likes on 13,996 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The sales tax you pay is on the difference between what your old car was worth/sold for and the price of the new car. If no difference, you shouldn't have to pay any tax. A local Motor Vehicle Office should be able to verify exactly what that state's policy is.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:09 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,115 Likes on 988 Posts

If the insurance co totals your car and the they determine the replacement value is $20K they should add the sales tax and any other acquisition costs to that. Then they will take off you deductible and pay you the balance. Don't let them tell you different.

The other method about paying the difference people have mentioned does not apply. That's only works in some States where you are trading in a vehicle and you pay tax on the added value.

Last edited by Vega$Vette; 02-05-2007 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
cb5300
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your question got me thinking and I called one of the "P&C" agents that work for me and asked them what the answer was. The answer was NO, they will not pay the sales tax. Insurance companies are only required to pay you the ACV (actual cash value) for your loss. You could take that money and buy anything that you wanted.

Here is something else I had never thought about, but if you pay MORE than what a car is worth, ie "dealer mark up," you could have a problem if you had a total loss. Insurance would pay what the NADA, or Kelly blue book says the value is, NOT what the dealer charged you over the MSRP. Keep this in mind as the new "Blue Devil" hits the dealers and you pay 50k to 100k over the MSRP. If you have a loss the insurance co. will pay value not what you may owe. That could be a very hard leason to learn.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:31 PM
robert123
Drifting

My motherinlaw's car got totaled and they gave her bluebook without the tax ,minus the 1,000 deductible!
Old 02-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,115 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by robert123
My motherinlaw's car got totaled and they gave her bluebook without the tax ,minus the 1,000 deductible!

When I totaled a Ford Explorer a couple of years ago. AAA paid me replacement value plus sales tax. They insisted on giving me $8500 + tax even when I told them I only paid $6800 for it and could replace it for $6500. Said they should not benifit because I got a good deal. Then the guy says have you done any recent work on the vehicle. I told him I put new shocks and brake pads on a couple of months ago and he gave me another $400. ended up with a check for almost $9K.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:35 PM
BlueDream
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had two vehicles "sold"to State Farm and in both cases they paid the value plus sales tax on the transaction.
Old 02-05-2007, 05:36 PM
bc2738
Intermediate

Originally Posted by cb5300
Your question got me thinking and I called one of the "P&C" agents that work for me and asked them what the answer was. The answer was NO, they will not pay the sales tax. Insurance companies are only required to pay you the ACV (actual cash value) for your loss. You could take that money and buy anything that you wanted.

Here is something else I had never thought about, but if you pay MORE than what a car is worth, ie "dealer mark up," you could have a problem if you had a total loss. Insurance would pay what the NADA, or Kelly blue book says the value is, NOT what the dealer charged you over the MSRP. Keep this in mind as the new "Blue Devil" hits the dealers and you pay 50k to 100k over the MSRP. If you have a loss the insurance co. will pay value not what you may owe. That could be a very hard leason to learn.
If you have a loan, this is what GAP insurance is for.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:01 PM
unionlandlord
C5 General
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Boosted in Manhattan & Round Rock TX. President of the Non Club Club of Kansas and Round Rock , Not the flat part.

Thanks for the info., and glad some people found out too what to watch out for.

Paul G.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:04 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by unionlandlord
If a car is totaled out and the insurance gives you lets say 20k.
You buy a 20k car to replace it do you have to pay sales tax on the
replacement car?

If so that would be close to $1,400 out of pocket you need to make up.

I was just wondering my car is fine, I saw a post that made me think about this.

Thanks,
Paul G.
The insurance should include it in the settlement if not go request it
Old 02-05-2007, 11:06 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
If the insurance co totals your car and the they determine the replacement value is $20K they should add the sales tax and any other acquisition costs to that. Then they will take off you deductible and pay you the balance. Don't let them tell you different.

The other method about paying the difference people have mentioned does not apply. That's only works in some States where you are trading in a vehicle and you pay tax on the added value.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:08 AM
PierEagle
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette

You're not quite right. In Missouri if I trade a vehicle in at the dealer then yes I only pay sales tax on the net difference. But if I don't trade-in then I pay sales tax on the full buying price of the car purchased. THEN, if within I believe it's 6 months, I sell my other car privately (the one I didn't trade in) I can complete a state DMV form and get a refund of sales tax based on the selling price of the car I just sold. Last year Missouri also passed a law requiring both the private seller and buyer to complete and submit separate forms to the state re date of sale/purchase and amount sold/paid for. There is a $200.00 fine if you don't do it in a timely manner. I am sure you can imagine their reason for doing this.

Cheers

Last edited by PierEagle; 02-06-2007 at 01:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Insurance money and sales tax.

Quick Reply: Insurance money and sales tax.