Sponsored by:

Help Me Decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:41 PM
03Z06GUY
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Decide!!

Hey guys! i'll get to the point. I have a 2000 vert c5 that i purchased for aprox. 21,000 after trade in. I have owned the car for about a year. Car has 33,000 miles on it and is in mint condition. The car is worth aprox. 30,000 dollars. Ok, what would you suggest. I have aprox 9- 10,000 equity in the car. I am thinking of trading up for a c6. What can i get a new/newer c6 for? Would it be worth it money wise to trade up or should i just keep what i have and drive it till it dies? I was thinking my equity may help soften the blow on the price jump. Anyone help me do some figuring?? Thanks so much!
Old 02-16-2007, 10:58 PM
korte
Pro

Originally Posted by 2000c5guy
Hey guys! i'll get to the point. I have a 2000 vert c5 that i purchased for aprox. 21,000 after trade in. I have owned the car for about a year. Car has 33,000 miles on it and is in mint condition. The car is worth aprox. 30,000 dollars. Ok, what would you suggest. I have aprox 9- 10,000 equity in the car. I am thinking of trading up for a c6. What can i get a new/newer c6 for? Would it be worth it money wise to trade up or should i just keep what i have and drive it till it dies? I was thinking my equity may help soften the blow on the price jump. Anyone help me do some figuring?? Thanks so much!
At best, the dealer will give you a good (but not great) offer on your trade-in, if you really break their *****. Negotiate the value of your C5 trade in before you even start talking about the price of the C6. Otherwise, they'll sit behind their little computer and try to fool you. Your equity will help, if they have to pay off the loan on your C5. They'll say they'll give you a lot for your C5, but then they'll add money somewhere else like on the financing. They'll manipulate the numbers using their computer and confuse the hell outta ya. Make sure you have KELLY BLUE BOOK values for each vehicle printed out and use em!It's reasonable to offer the dealer $500-1000 profit on the deal. Let them know youre willing to give them a profit. But don't let them fool you into giving up way more money than you should, which they're constantly trying to do.

Never purchase credit life insurance (or any other insurance), rustproofing, scotchguarding, or any of that crap from the dealer. They're worthless and overpriced. Extended warranties are iffy at best.

You'll probably have to do some BALL BUSTIN! They'll bring the pressure for sure...
Old 02-16-2007, 11:01 PM
oldschoolvette
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the C5, thats my vote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:02 PM
korte
Pro

The C5 looks better, I think!!

Old 02-16-2007, 11:10 PM
2 GRUMPY
Safety Car

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by oldschoolvette
keep the C5, thats my vote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:11 PM
03Z06GUY
Burning Brakes

my wife likes the c5 because its a vert. If i got a c6 i would only be able to afford a coupe.I was also thinking of looking around for a used (not too used) c5 z06. Maybe i should just keep the c5 and put some money into the engine. What ya think??
Old 02-16-2007, 11:12 PM
boyblue97
Pro

stick with the c5 i dont know how accurate it is but someone on here said somethin about GM changing the stock motor to a more powerful engine if this is true then im sure the c6 prices will drop... just a thought
Old 02-16-2007, 11:14 PM
JC5DK
Advanced

I don't have a Corvette myself but I like the C5 much more than the C6. I think think the C5 has a lot more "soul", if you will. The C6 looks *too much* like other vehicles of its age (obviously it's still a standout) but the C5 is a lot more exotic if you can put it that way. If price were no object, I'd get a 04 Z06, no question. I'd feel that's a much better value than any C6 Corvette, regardless of it being the regular C6 or the Z06. Besides, doesn't it suck to get a bigger payment (or much longer) if you already have a 2000 Convertible? Just my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:16 PM
JC5DK
Advanced

my wife likes the c5 because its a vert. If i got a c6 i would only be able to afford a coupe.I was also thinking of looking around for a used (not too used) c5 z06. Maybe i should just keep the c5 and put some money into the engine. What ya think??
Ha. Didn't see this post until after I had replied. I think that's exactly what you should do. Get a C5 Z06.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:22 PM
fmuto42
Instructor

Korte....Sounds like your pee-o'd cause u got ripped off by someone....Dont let ur experience influence someone else! I work for a dealer and at best 10% of what u said is accurate.....Anyway to the thread owner here is what u do....FIRST go drive the C6 and decide if you like the car! SECOND do some research on prices for new or used C6's with the eqiup. u want.....THIRD u have a unique car which im sure would sell privately and u would make out better $$$$$$ wise....FOURTH with cash in hand go seek out and make a deal on the car u want remember this is ur money so do what u need to do to feel like U got the best deal u could and if u feel u like ur not ---- walk away....FIFTH aftermarket products are only as good who backs them and what they do for u! Like a car do some research on what they have to offer! Credit life ins is expensive but in the event u lose ur job or become injured it pays off ur car or the payments u cant pay / No one offers rustproofing anymore! Scotchgaurding is no more than a can of spray on fabric to prevent stains ----- well since most vette owners dont eat or drink in their vettes, oh and its leather except the floors no need to worry there! The vette isnt prone to mech. breakdown but if u feel that its something u need, do it thats what ins. is all about! Ive seen people save $$$$$'s b/c of an extended warr and on the same token some people buy it and never use it......GAP ins is important if u finance most of the cars' value but in ur case ur putting most of it down so thats a none issue....One thing that isnt a bad idea is Tire and Wheel or Roadhazard protection.....Basically if u get a flat or need a tire and or rim from a roadhazard they pay for the tire and or rim! Ok i think thats most of it.....Hopefully this helps and not someone elses opinion to make u feel bad when buying a car should be FUN!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by korte
At best, the dealer will give you a good (but not great) offer on your trade-in, if you really break their *****. Negotiate the value of your C5 trade in before you even start talking about the price of the C6. Otherwise, they'll sit behind their little computer and try to fool you. Your equity will help, if they have to pay off the loan on your C5. They'll say they'll give you a lot for your C5, but then they'll add money somewhere else like on the financing. They'll manipulate the numbers using their computer and confuse the hell outta ya. Make sure you have KELLY BLUE BOOK values for each vehicle printed out and use em!It's reasonable to offer the dealer $500-1000 profit on the deal. Let them know youre willing to give them a profit. But don't let them fool you into giving up way more money than you should, which they're constantly trying to do.

Never purchase credit life insurance (or any other insurance), rustproofing, scotchguarding, or any of that crap from the dealer. They're worthless and overpriced. Extended warranties are iffy at best.

You'll probably have to do some BALL BUSTIN! They'll bring the pressure for sure...
Old 02-16-2007, 11:25 PM
fmuto42
Instructor

C5 Z06 is a great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im partial to the Comm. Edition Z06 I think its awesome but then again i have a 04 C5 Coupe in the Comm. Edition!!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 11:27 PM
DaDuck
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Default KEEP Y2K vert

I have a 2000 vert with 25 K miles so I feel qualified to answer this.

KEEP the C5!!!!!!!!!!!

If you are asking our opinion you are not committed to the C6 idea.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:32 PM
shortbus57j
Instructor

If the wife likes the vert keep it. Mine is faster than a stock z06 and I can drop the top. You can make the vert as fast as you want. Unless you really like the look of a fixed roof your wasting money. You can do just about everythign to your car that you could get out of a z06

AND private sale you could probally get $26k out of it if it's in good shape

the only reason you should sell it is if it's an automatic

Last edited by shortbus57j; 02-16-2007 at 11:35 PM.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:34 PM
Ettev01
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

$30K sounds surprisingly high for a 2000 Vert. I'd imagine the dealer might get you in the lower end of 20's, but no deals on the new one. Are 2000's going for that much? That might eat up the equity you were planning on.

I say that because I picked up my MY2001 vert. last Summer for $30k and it only had 9800 miles on it. (From a dealer)

Maybe you just ask yourself if you'd pay today for your 2000 for what you owe. If it's a deal, then keep it. If not, then time to trade.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:38 PM
03Z06GUY
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys! All of your points are well taken. My thought in the beginning was to keep it and put a nice exhaust on it and just drive and enjoy it. I have already put new chrome z06 rims on it as well as tinted the windows,put the corvette lettering on the front and back and put the rear taillight flush kit on it, along with a chrome exhaust plate. Also added a nice set of corvette floor mats from loyds. I am just not sure i would enjoy the c6 any more then i enjoy this one. There is just something about dropping the top on it and feeling the breeze blow by me on a nice sunny day.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:41 PM
shortbus57j
Instructor

Thanks guys! All of your points are well taken. My thought in the beginning was to keep it and put a nice exhaust on it and just drive and enjoy it. I have already put new chrome z06 rims on it as well as tinted the windows,put the corvette lettering on the front and back and put the rear taillight flush kit on it, along with a chrome exhaust plate. Also added a nice set of corvette floor mats from loyds. I am just not sure i would enjoy the c6 any more then i enjoy this one. There is just something about dropping the top on it and feeling the breeze blow by me on a nice sunny day.
wait till it's warm again to decide. Then you will be sure.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:47 PM
zTrek
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Even though it would be nice to have some of the upgraded engineering tweaks of the C6, I still love the smooth lines of the C5. I don't know that I could ever enjoy looking at the more angular C6 as much. To me, the C6 isn't enough of an upgrade (certainly not in the looks department) to warrant the financial sacrifice. And...the average person on the street doesn't know the difference because the cars because they are so similar. At the end of the day, the C5 is still one of the finest sportscars on the street. That's my take...

Get notified of new replies

To Help Me Decide!!

Old 02-16-2007, 11:47 PM
korte
Pro

Originally Posted by fmuto42
Korte....Sounds like your pee-o'd cause u got ripped off by someone....Dont let ur experience influence someone else!
What you mean? I didnt get ripped off by no one. What did I say that isn't true? Dealers are out to make the most money on each car, bottom line.

THIRD u have a unique car which im sure would sell privately and u would make out better $$$$$$ wise....
That's true, if you want to put up with the extra hassle of selling it yourself. It might take a while for someone to offer you a decent price for your vette. Then you have to deal with the tire kickers.. trading it in with the dealer is a great convenience, if you want to go that route.

Credit life ins is expensive but in the event u lose ur job or become injured it pays off ur car or the payments u cant pay
No, it pays the bank the remainder of the loan in the case of your death. Hence, it's so-called name "Croak and choke" insurance. But think about it. If you're dead, do you really care about the bank? Why should YOU pay to insure THEM? It's not a good deal, except for the bank. The price of the insurance is also marked up by the dealer so they can make more profit on each vehicle, which they think about constantly.

No one offers rustproofing anymore!
Priority Acura of Chesapeake, VA did. (where i got my vette). Of course I declined!

GAP ins is important if u finance most of the cars' value but in ur case ur putting most of it down so thats a none issue....
True, but insurance should never be purchased from a dealer. If you want gap insurance you will get a better deal elsewhere.

buying a car should be FUN!!!!!!!
Are you CRAZY? Buying a car is a huge hassle, unless you're just paying cash. To get the best deal you've gotta go round and round with them.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:59 PM
NOWUCME
Melting Slicks

Received 459 Likes on 324 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C6 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Keep the C5 and enjoy it. It has more power than you can probably use except for racing and braging rights. Save the difference in payments or pay off the C5 faster. Then you will have the equity and/or cash when you want to buy a newer used C6. And you get to let the wife enjoy the convertible a little more.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:03 AM
03Z06GUY
Burning Brakes

A couple quick things, Yes my c5 is a six speed. I did purchase the extended warranty from the dealer (he threw in the tire hazard one for free) only because i figured it was a used car and i just did not want to have any problems if something went wrong with the car. I actually raced an automatic c6 (my car is stock) last summer from one light to the next and beat him by about 3/4 car length (his was a 2005 c6). As far as keeping up with a c6, i think i can hold my own. I have also handed a 300c srt8 his *** about a month ago. The performance issue of my c5 is no problem. I think i really came across a gem. I am the 2nd owner and got it with 25,000 on it. It was owned by a 60 year old man that only drove it on hot days (i have talked with the original owner). SHORTBUS,,, What would you sugest i start with to get me closer to that c5 z06 mark??

Quick Reply: Help Me Decide!!