Rolling back the mileage odometer

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:31 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rolling back the mileage odometer

Howdy 'all;

Question as to how easy is it to 'roll back' the C5's odometer. While searching for my next Vette I've run into several dealer cars that look like they have a lot more miles than what's on the odometer. I'm old school when rolling back an odometer was a ten minute job for most anyone without ethics. I do plan on only buying from a private party but would like to hear if odometer mileage can be altered.
thanks, dD
Old 02-25-2007, 02:38 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

It can be altered, it's a computer chip in the guage cluster that needs to be re-programed. I do beleive many dealerships have the tools to do that. Check a carfax type report to see if there's any discrepencies in the mileage.

Chris
Old 02-25-2007, 11:07 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

It's a federal and state offense to do so, but anything made by man can be altered by man (bent on fraud)...
Old 02-25-2007, 11:22 AM
VinnyT
Le Mans Master

Funny this was brought up. I bought mine from a dealer that was 140 miles away. They advertised it with 50,420 miles. They had a driver drive it to me (140 miles) and guess what was on the odometer? 50,420 miles.

Hmmmmmm......
Old 02-25-2007, 11:39 AM
VetteLag00
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess that trick in Ferris Bueller's Day Off doesn't work
Old 02-25-2007, 12:40 PM
dajael

Originally Posted by Stangkiller
It can be altered, it's a computer chip in the guage cluster that needs to be re-programed. I do beleive many dealerships have the tools to do that. Check a carfax type report to see if there's any discrepencies in the mileage.

Chris
Checking the CarFax should be LAW imho. So much you can learn. Some people won't spend the petty amount they charge for the report and yet they'll roll the dice on a vehicle for 10's of thousands of dollars based on "trusting" the seller. Lunacy, pure lunacy

Old 02-25-2007, 12:45 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep in mind these cars look pretty damn worn out pretty damn quick unless very good care is taken of them.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:34 PM
HellBent
Racer

I've been wondering the same thing.

I'm in the market for a C5 and looked at several. They all looked like they had more miles than the odometer displayed.

One in particular was listed as a perfect 10 of 10, low miles, and original paint. When I checked it out it had a clean car fax. When I actually went to look at it, the car had been repainted (badly)! WTF! Paint was peeling in a few areas too!

I don't know how some S.O.B. figures a bad paint job = 10 out of 10! The car also had some badly done cosmetic mods and appeared very worn out and dirty underneath for unde $50k and a CA car.

Buyer always beware I guess.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:21 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kale
Keep in mind these cars look pretty damn worn out pretty damn quick unless very good care is taken of them.

Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Default Concours has different definition......

Hellbent;
Exactly my thoughts. Concours must mean something other than the definition I was tought. Barrett -Jackson has done good and bad for collector cars and cars in general. Everybody things they can get a million dollars for what ever junk they have. The defining word though is Barrett-jackson quality of car.
1/4 mile drag cars have low miles but what a beating they take. Buyer beware.
I always check Carfax or Autocheck.
thanks for the responce, dD
Old 03-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Lady K
Burning Brakes

Definately check carfax. Carfax is required to produce mileage when the title is transfered. I used to work at a Chevy/Dodge Dealership. It is very easy to turn back an odometer!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:38 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Very easy, if someone swapped the gauge cluster, that would alter the mileage too.
Old 03-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Classic-Chevy-Guy
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

When you get to the final stages, you might want to have someone on the forum pull the service records. This might give you additional information coming from a slightly different direction.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Stealthy4
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by ericdwong
Very easy, if someone swapped the gauge cluster, that would alter the mileage too.

I changed the gauge cluster in my car to add HUD...i never updated the chip though...fortunately i wrote down the old cluster mileage and the new cluster mileage so i can calculate if need be...fortunately, i never plan to sell so it doesnt bother me...

Regardless, you can have this programmed very easily or even disconnect the cluster and drive if need be. I'm not sure if the mileage is stored anywhere else in the vehicle though...

In my old lumina, i could hook up a autotap and it would read the mileage (it was slightly different from what the gauge cluster odometer read too (only a couple hundred miles)...i hooked up my vette to my autotap but it could not read the mileage....hmmmmmmmm
Old 03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
keanucosmo
Advanced

Chris
Actually the dealers have to send it to a service center to have it done. I had a dealer send in the cluster I used for a HUD retrofit and got my mileage programmed in. There are a few places that have the equipment. I know a guy on this forum who was doing HUD retrofits & had the equipment.

Carfax has my mileage at each annual emissions check, but unless there is some annual state document about a vehicle, Carfax may be worhless.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:52 AM
HellBent
Racer

I'm very skeptical about carfax. It seems like so many vehicles have only a few records. Especially vehicles being sold by dealers?

I've seen a few Vettes that were disasters and had a clean car fax. CARFAX cannot tell if a car was repainted, abused, in a non-reported accident, or if the engine or tranny has had serious issues.

The other troubling thought is, you don't see many salvage Vettes, although they seems to be plentiful at auctions. Hmmm...

Perhaps someone has found ways around CARFAX?

-AL
Old 03-15-2007, 12:05 PM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Chris

Get notified of new replies

To Rolling back the mileage odometer

Old 03-15-2007, 12:10 PM
B-rent
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

I was able to call my local dealer, give them the vin and they ran a full history of the car before I bought it. Granted it only shows when it was serviced by GM but it does have the milage and issue at each visit Were pretty good friends with them (it was the Caddilac dealer my parents know) so Im not sure if that is some thing a GM dealer would normally do but its work a try
Old 03-15-2007, 12:19 PM
C5Tommy
Heel & Toe

Actually there are many ways CarFax reports can be "incomplete". Cash for any body repair with no insurance company or LEO reports will fly under the CarFax radar. Friend of mine bought a vette that CarFax said was clean. Took it to a guru of Corvettes and he found it had major repairs. Story goes less than scrupulous repair shops north of the border buy US wrecks, rebuild them and send them back south again. This also escapes the CarFax net. If you have a CarFax report that covers all the mileage with no gaps, you're probably in good shape. But CarFax isn't perfect either. Before laying down coin for any used car it is a good idea to take it to somebody you trust and have them look at it if you are not sure or suspect something. It is all about buyer beware. If an odometer can be altered, bureaucracy can be circumvented also. Another example of why there are so many lawyers.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:17 PM
Humy
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

also, some DMVs enter in the milage in kilometers like azzhats

Quick Reply: Rolling back the mileage odometer