Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 windshield replacement $$$

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 05:46 PM
BlueAngelVet
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:Originally Posted by premier333 [img]file:///C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtml clip1\01\clip_image001.gif[/img]Got 3 quotes last week. I have a small scratch from a broke wiper. If you have hud like me the prices started at $1500 to $2340. Everyone I talked to said you needed to use GM factory glass and replace all the molding. I was told that the hud unit may not display properly with other aftermarket glass.(don't know if that's true or not) The only thing is that the factory glass is on back order with GM. Good luck..

Whoa, those quotes have some serious Corvette taxes imbedded in them!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++

OK, Let me provide some further answers from my perspective:

1. Do you need GM Factory glass?

Please note that all windshields have to be DOT approved and have a DOT reference stamp.

In a nutshell, when you buy GM glass they may have different contract now and you need to pay premium for GM stamp from “new manufacturer”. The “old manufactured” still has a right to produce that glass according to the same high standard they just cannot put GM stamp but they still have a right to sell it as OEM. You can research more on Internet OEM vs OEE etc.

2. Do you need to replace all moldings?

What is the function of a molding?

1. Practical: Align properly so there is no gap for water, dust, air etc. and also provide attachment for the seal.

2. Cosmetic: to look good and do not be “sore in the eye”.

If there are users who have additional Emotional or Spiritual needs to replace the molding(s) otherwise their object of worship gets desecrated then fine go ahead and pay extra money.

There is a wisdom: “Money and Fools are easily separated”.

If you are interested in other wisdoms you can search for my book and read 30% of it for free online and if you decide it is worth paying ~$10 to download it, it is your choice.

Book title is: “Wisdom of the Sages and ordinary folks from around the world”.

Back to the topic.

3. Will HUD display properly with None GM glass?

Yes it will, but there are rare cases that you will have double vision (double reflection) reported by other user in Corvette Forum.

The glass that was in my 1998 Corvette Convertible was not the original and the HUD was clear with single contours.

The glass that was just installed for the Total of $333.56 including everything. I mean final price including tax. Is also displaying properly.

For your reference I am providing you with both windshields details:

Old: E6 43R-009047 SHADED Solar Ray safety AP FLO-LITE AS1 Lamisafe Tech DOT-375 M334

New: FY FUYAO AS1 M854 DOT 459 Solartint DW 1325 7

Here are the actual pictures how my HUD display it now. Please note that I can see it clearly on my windshield, the tiny distortion comes from my camera that obviously could not use flash. There are no double contours reported by one user before.

Picture taken in my garage.

Little bit more closeup.

Last but not Least:

If someone has particular Emotional and Spiritual needs, I am not going to argue with that person.

If someone tells you something that you have to do it this way but not the other way, but does not provide you with facts, details, reasoning, you have a right to reject that advice.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:59 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by chevy guy
anyone have their windshield replaced in their c5? What did it cost? I have a very small ding in the windshield, a few scratches, and the normal highway pin marks. I really would like a new one. I was wondering what i'm looking at $$ wise.

The online places quote anywhere from $260 -$550.
do you have comprehensive insurance?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:37 PM
BlueAngelVet
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kh400
do you have comprehensive insurance?
I do have comprehensive insurance but my deductible is $1000 per each car I owe and in Washington State this also applies to windshield replacement as well. Only some states like Florida require Insurance companies to cover windshield replacement for free despite of deductible like mine.
I did check a while ago with my Insurance Geico and that was their answer. I also Checked Washington State law and there is nothing specific about Windshield coverage requirement for Insurance companies.
Please note that in Some States Insurance Companies offer windshield coverage separately outside of Comprehensive Insurance. Some other users in this forum said few $ per month extra it cost them and it is a good value.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:59 AM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
11 year old thread
What's yer point? Should the OP have started a new thread about the exact same thing?
Old 11-30-2018, 01:03 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorny
Had my HUD windshield replaced last year to the tune of $0.00 thanks to my zero deductible glass coverage. The insurance company, however, shelled out almost $1500 for it. The way I look at it, the extra $1/month for no deductible glass coverage is money well spent.

Sorny
Until they raise your premium due to the claim/large claim.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:50 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

Originally Posted by grampi50
What's yer point? Should the OP have started a new thread about the exact same thing?
Um....
Old 12-01-2018, 07:55 PM
grampi50
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by knewblewkorvette
Um....
That's stupid...

Quick Reply: C5 windshield replacement $$$