Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just venting, parking lots

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 02:36 PM
99mallett
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: The line waiting to see Santa Claus stretched all the way back to Terre Haute, and I was at the end, Indiana
Received 73 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by rcs128
Yea, it always seem to be something like a 170,00 mile, beat-to-death Corolla that seems to park next to me. I look inside and see crap all over the interior, torn seats, parts on the floor... Man, it just kills me.
Around here it's usually a POS pickup with "BILLYJOE JIMBOB'S LAWN CUTTIN' & TRASH HAULIN'" or something similar.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:37 PM
Vampyre
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah this is a common occurance, and sometimes I stick around to witness the idiot who parked his POS next to me.

I'll agree with a parking lot that is empty, why do people do this?

I had something like that happen to me two years ago.

7:00am in a parking lot that was empty, I still parked off in the distance and sure enough someone in a mini van parked so close to my Vette, I could not open the driver side door.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:38 PM
jarsdad1
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rws.1
I don't worry about the Mercedes, or other "executive cars" they are just as concerned about door marks as we are....

I worry about those that are obviously owned/driven by people who don't car about the appearnace of their car... that are already showing signs of parling lot scrapes, dings, rust duct tape, primer paint etc etc..
Sometimes I'll park next to a Mercedes, BMW or Lexus before I'll park in an open area.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:44 PM
6pac
Racer

What is your thoughts on taking up too spaces? IMHO it is not worth it because it would attract too much hatred and increase the chance of death (ie key).
Old 06-12-2007, 04:02 PM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rcs128
Yea, it always seem to be something like a 170,00 mile, beat-to-death Corolla that seems to park next to me. I look inside and see crap all over the interior, torn seats, parts on the floor... Man, it just kills me.
I think that was me? Oh wait, mine is a 160k mile mazda... but the rest of the description is similar. My interior is still in good shape, but the outside looks like it tried to squeeze through two telephone poles... and failed.

I've been known to park next to the guys who like to take two spots with it. Never have I touched another car with it, there are some lines I do not cross.

Their car was probably safer with my beater next to it than some other guys beater

If you want to park next to an owner who is as concerned about their car as yours... find a lowrider or tricked out ricer...or another vette. Best place though, find an end spot. It reduces your chances of door chips by 50%, and then you know it will only be on one side.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:29 PM
RatedX
Drifting

Location: Spring Hill, Florida Life is all about new beginnings;...TRY ONE!
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

I parked way out in a parking lot one time waiting in the car for my wife to come out of the plaza and some dippity-do with a rusty Chrysler made an extra effort to avoid all the available spots in front of the store just so that he could park next to me. He pulled in so close that my driversdoor would't have been able to open! I stared at him with my mouth open then pulled out and parked exactly one space away from him....He looked at me like I was nutz!
Old 06-12-2007, 04:29 PM
BADMFR
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

I park my Z as close to the front door of walmart possible! 9 out of 10 people are couteous and wont' smack you car. And that 1/10 has to really swing the door open to make a mark that won't buff out.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:42 PM
Ralphyboy
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The same thing happened to me the other day. I parked away from everyone, and came out of the store to find a woman dragging her kid out of her SUV that she parked right next to me.There were still plenty of spots, but this moron had to park right next to me. I looked my car over, and gave her a dirty look to get the point across. I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but if you see that someone has made an effort to park AWAY from everyone else, show some respect. Too many people now have no respect for themselves, others, or anything in society. It's that damn Rap music. Get Rev. Al Sharpton on this. I bet no one parks next to his Escalade with the spinners.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:44 PM
GS Ron
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big-Red
They are also old and retired folks with canes and walkers that require
the doors be swung wide open!!!

That's what handicapped spots are for
Old 06-12-2007, 06:47 PM
jbauch357
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought working at a place where the majority of cars are BMW, Porsche, Mercedes, etc that people would take better care of and pay more attention to parking with care... Exactly the opposite is true and the majority of people driving expensive cars don't give a crap about them and are the biggest violators of door dings and fender swipes...

Also there are numerous people here who truly drive by brail. I'm not kidding, it's common to see people attempt a maneuver until they hit something then go the other direction till they hit something and so on until they are parked!!!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,878 Likes on 14,335 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Perhaps the person that owned the Mercedes had the same idea you did - park away from the masses so the car will hopefully avoid door dings. They may have thought that parking next to a nice car like a C5 would help them keep their car safe.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 PM
PAvetteguy
Instructor

I always seem to attract the most rusty beat-to-death POS in the county to the parking space next to me. Never fails. Another thing to watch out for is the Soccer Mom mobiles with half a dozen sugar crazed rug rats piling out of it.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:29 PM
77Vette4S&J
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Perhaps the person that owned the Mercedes had the same idea you did - park away from the masses so the car will hopefully avoid door dings. They may have thought that parking next to a nice car like a C5 would help them keep their car safe.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:35 PM
always717
Pro

Ya know, that thought occured to me, but he coulda/shoulda parked 100ft away somewhere else. The truth is, some people are just plain a-holes.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:31 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 85 Ford Tempo so I would not have to park in a parking lot and possibily do any jail time.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:06 AM
Virtual Geezer
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts

Remember: All matter is damaged in direction proportion to its value.

And

The only reason some people are alive is that it's against the law to kill them.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:40 AM
ledsnake
Racer

Best place though, find an end spot. It reduces your chances of door chips by 50%, and then you know it will only be on one side.[/QUOTE]

I will take an end spot if I can. Too many A-Holes out there just looking to mess with your ride.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Kamil
Burning Brakes

It's probably only someone who as they walk out of the store wants to look cool walking towards a vette, while everyone around him thinks it's his. Let them enjoy at least that. hehehehe
Old 06-13-2007, 03:38 PM
mag red vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by rws.1
I don't worry about the Mercedes, or other "executive cars" they are just as concerned about door marks as we are....

I worry about those that are obviously owned/driven by people who don't car about the appearnace of their car... that are already showing signs of parling lot scrapes, dings, rust duct tape, primer paint etc etc..
I would have to disagree. Here in Southern California, Mercedes and most other "executive cars" are all over the place and a good many have multiple dents and door dings. My guess is that many of them are leased and will be returned in 36 months or less. Besides, the kind of car you own doesn't necessarily indicate how careful you are going to be around someone else's car. I will change my plans before I park my vette in a tight situation.

Quick Reply: Just venting, parking lots