Sponsored by:

[Z06] corvette VMU ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 04:30 PM
jmp9982
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default corvette VMU ?

Been having trouble with the door locks lately, I know this is a fairly common problem. Called the dealership and they said I might need a new VMU (?), which controls everything electrical in the car. I think he said VMU, couldnt really hear him too well. Anyone have any guess as to how much this will cost, or if it's even necessary. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Post on www.corvettemechanic.com

Old 08-14-2007, 08:08 PM
jmp9982
Instructor

I read some things on that forum, I think the BCM is what i should have heard. Anyone have any issues with theres
Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 PM
DIXZ
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jmp9982
Been having trouble with the door locks lately,
Can you elaborate a little on this and tell us the exact problem? This is pretty vague!
Old 08-14-2007, 11:21 PM
jmp9982
Instructor

Originally Posted by DIXZ
Can you elaborate a little on this and tell us the exact problem? This is pretty vague!

Sure can...

passenger door won't unlock using key fob or door switch.

driver door won't lock with key fob, occasionally will with door switch.

that's the only problem mechanically the car has so i'm not sure about replacing the BCM
Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 AM
DIXZ
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I bought my Corvette, the drivers door would not lock or unlock with the FOB or the switch. I replaced the door control module and all has been well since. There are plenty of posts on the subject, but I don't remember the BCM being the answer to any of the door lock problems.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:16 AM
FRC Z
Advanced

Sounds like the very common problem with the relays on the door control modules that control the door locks. I just bought my Z06 about 10 days ago and the driver's side door would not lock or unlock with the fob or with the door switch. I ordered new relays from DigiKey.com for a couple bucks each, removed the old(bad) relays and soldered in the new ones. Took me about an hour and a half of being lazy and taking my time. Worked like a charm. The power lock now works flawlessly. Not bad for $10 in parts. I even ordered extra relays for if this happenens again in the future.

Check out this thread for how to do it: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=door+module

I would bet it will fix your issue . Good luck.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,187 Likes on 1,587 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

You also need a Framit Flux Capacitor. I have one I can sell you for 50 bucks! The dealer will try to sell you the most expensive part for the most expensive price that they can charge you.

I have seen cases where just un-plugging the module and reconnecting it fixed the problem. Do you think the dealer would say. "Oh the good news sir, it didnt need a new module. We just found a bad connection!!!! NOooooooooooooo! You getting a new module if you needed it or not! $1200. dollars later, your on the road.

If you need C5 electronics, contact Gene Culley at GM Parts Warehouse. He will beet that price by 1/2 if not better!

Read your DTC's and post the results. If we can see what DTC/s your throwing, we can help you!

This is the absolute best C5 Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) web site!!!

http://www.corvettedoctor.com/Code_Main.html
http://www.corvettedoctor.com/index.html

www.corvettedoctor.com

Go to “technical data base” and then to “Corvette ECM Computer Codes”. Then select your year car. Read the instructions and then scroll down to the "READ MORE" window to view the code definitions.\

Here is another very good site:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_cod...d-ii-codes.php

Make sure to include the H or C suffix!!

Hope this helps

BC

Get notified of new replies

To corvette VMU ?

Quick Reply: [Z06] corvette VMU ?