Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 05:58 PM
mph1972
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

I have the SW C5R headlights with HIDs (low beam only) and I love mine too!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:13 PM
jrpedraza
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mcgiles
jrpedraza, all I can say is wow! what a difference! it should be illegal to have lights as dim as the stock ones. I've gotta get HID's

I know it, I love mine. You just can't imagine the difference until you see for yourself. I should have waited for it to get darker out but I just happen to think about it when I took the pictures.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:18 PM
jrpedraza
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mph1972
I have the SW C5R headlights with HIDs (low beam only) and I love mine too!
I would love to get the C5R lights, but they're a bit more than I want to spend at the moment. Are yours body colored, black, chrome?
Old 08-20-2007, 07:08 PM
~Maverick
All Men Die, but Few LIVE
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I have the HID conversion in both my Low beams and in the Fogs lights as well...BEST Mod I've EVER done to any car yet...To anyone that has NOT done so yet, you'll be amazed! I can't outrun my lights now and it is sooooo nice to be able to actually SEE whats in the road ahead...saved me from hitting some lumber and a recap that peeled off a truck, THAT alone made it worth EVERY penny it cost!

~Maverick
Old 08-20-2007, 09:17 PM
cmeflyby
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Alhambra Calismognazifornia, in the country everyone comes just to complain but won't go back home!

could you guys point me to what you're using for your fogs? any idea if it will work in PIAA 1100X housings? not that it really matters since i kept my stockers but the easier the job the better
Old 08-20-2007, 09:22 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
I never heard of two HIDs being illegal either.

Usually, when you have seperate low and high beam lights, and the low beam are HID, the high beams are halogen. This is because it takes a while for HIDs to light up AND it shortens their life when they are used for short periods of time (like high beams are). The C6 has this setup, BUT to prevent lower light on high beams, the low beam HIDs stay on all the time and the high beam halogen provide additional light.

Where HIDs use one light for high and low beams, they have a mechanical "shutter" in them that moves to allow more light out up high for high beams. These are effective, my Nissan Murano has them.

BTW, I ran aircraft landing lights as high beams on my 1964 VERT, they were bright.

They are only illegal because they are not the same as the lights they replace. If GM would come out with two HID's in the same housing, it would be fine. It's the change from the standard we are issued from GM to the HID's that is not truly legal. The "bi-xenon" kits you hear about are just as Oldvetter describes above - a single lamp with a shutter. And he is correct about there needing to be a halogen or filament type bulb for short usage, such as flash-to-pass and such - HID's will not stand that kind of abuse.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:00 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 180 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by cmeflyby
could you guys point me to what you're using for your fogs? any idea if it will work in PIAA 1100X housings? not that it really matters since i kept my stockers but the easier the job the better

I hear that there are no bulbs available for the PIAA's (other than what you have).

PM me if you want info on the ebay vendor I got mine from.

Toque
Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Suprfun
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Are there any high beam bulbs that match or come close to the color of the 6000k HID's?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:33 PM
~Maverick
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The 'type' bulb you need to get if you are going to convert the stock corvette Fogs to HID are the 880/881 type. HID's will not tolerate for very long being turned on and not allowed to achieve max. brightness..it takes the lights a few seconds to warm up and get 'brilliant', thus they are bad for High beams because they are often on and off for short periods when on coming traffic is being blinded..the filaments will wear out being treated like this. I'll post some pictures in a second of the kit...I bought mine off the "auction site" for $98. and it came VERY well packaged...Just as with the other HID's, you can get them in whatever brightness you wish...I stayed with 6000k so they would match my 6000k's in the low beams..and boy, do they!! The PIAA's are made in a manner which will allow you to use their bulbs only...these kits will not work in those housings, the 880/881 type bulbs are the ones you need to fit into a stock corvettes Fog light housings...I bought an extra set that I used to make sure before I touched the car, the lenses are like all Corvette Fog light lenses..a little chipped and worn, but they work GREAT! I've actually wondered what to do with the extra housings and think i may buy another kit to go with these housings and mount them on my C4, sort of bring her into todays technology. When I drive the C4 to work I get a reminder of how bad those lights are, and when I drive the C5, I'm still amazed.

Here is the kit as it comes boxed..

Here is the stuff out of the box, it also had some zip ties and 2 sided tape as well..

The type Bulb for the Fogs..as you can see then have alot of different ones available..

And the wattages...I chose 6000k, it is closest to a pure white...

~Maverick
Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Suprfun
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ~Maverick
The 'type' bulb you need to get if you are going to convert the stock corvette Fogs to HID are the 880/881 type. HID's will not tolerate for very long being turned on and not allowed to achieve max. brightness..it takes the lights a few seconds to warm up and get 'brilliant', thus they are bad for High beams because they are often on and off for short periods when on coming traffic is being blinded..the filaments will wear out being treated like this. I'll post some pictures in a second of the kit...I bought mine off the "auction site" for $98. and it came VERY well packaged...Just as with the other HID's, you can get them in whatever brightness you wish...I stayed with 6000k so they would match my 6000k's in the low beams..and boy, do they!! The PIAA's are made in a manner which will allow you to use their bulbs only...these kits will not work in those housings, the 880/881 type bulbs are the ones you need to fit into a stock corvettes Fog light housings...I bought an extra set that I used to make sure before I touched the car, the lenses are like all Corvette Fog light lenses..a little chipped and worn, but they work GREAT! I've actually wondered what to do with the extra housings and think i may buy another kit to go with these housings and mount them on my C4, sort of bring her into todays technology. When I drive the C4 to work I get a reminder of how bad those lights are, and when I drive the C5, I'm still amazed.

<SNIP>

~Maverick
Maverick, What are you using in the high beams (non HID) for bulbs? Do they match or come close to the color of the HID's you have in your low beams and fogs? I know halogens won't match the output (lumens) of HID's but I'd like the color of all the lights to match. Highs, lows and foglights.

Mark

Last edited by Suprfun; 08-21-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:03 PM
cmeflyby
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Alhambra Calismognazifornia, in the country everyone comes just to complain but won't go back home!

Originally Posted by Suprfun
Maverick, What are you using in the high beams (non HID) for bulbs? Do they match or come close to the color of the HID's you have in your low beams and fogs? I know halogens won't match the output (lumens) of HID's but I'd like the color of all the lights to match. Highs, lows and foglights.

Mark
i have PIAA Xtreme White bulbs in my high beams and thought they were pretty white and bright before i put in the 6000k low beams... not even close...yes i know 6000k is actually beyond white and slightly into the blue spectrum, but the PIAAs actually look yellow when they're both on
Old 08-21-2007, 03:06 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

what kind of life expectancy can you get out of an HID bulb? and when they do fail can you replace the bulb itself for a reasonable price or are you looking at buying a whole new kit with ballasts and everything?
Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 PM
~Maverick
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by Suprfun

Mark
I have the Super Blues by GE in there...and No, they don't even come remotely close to looking like the fogs or the Low beams..they USED to look bright, but I've not touched them in MONTHS now..even High beams look all pale and yellowey...uggh! I THOUGHT about getting the HID's for the Highs, but the lows were MORE than enough, & now that I have the fog HID as well the only thing I'm going to go is clip the wiring so that the Fogs will remain on even if I DO have to switch to Highs....in the last 3 months that has not happened, but this way I'll not suddenly be blind from lack of light to see! I don't know of ANY bulb that is going to come even close to comparing to how the HID's look....sorry bro!

~Maverick
Old 08-21-2007, 09:41 PM
BSiegPaint
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by mcgiles
what kind of life expectancy can you get out of an HID bulb? and when they do fail can you replace the bulb itself for a reasonable price or are you looking at buying a whole new kit with ballasts and everything?
Several years, easy. If you get the full projector kit (I can't speak for the other setups discussed here) you get the same D1S bulb that is used in the C6 and other cars. Just replace the bulb. Ballasts can also wear out over time, but should outlive several bulbs.

Quick Reply: Comparing HID's