Six speed torque management?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 01:10 AM
LV Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 161 Likes on 108 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Six speed torque management?

Is it true that C5 six speeds also have torque management from the factory? I thought only autos had that.

Thanks,

Clayton from Las Vegas
Old 08-23-2007, 09:23 AM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Yes it's there. You can change this during the tuning process. I had mine done a couple of years ago. Don
Old 08-23-2007, 11:20 AM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Runs in conjunction with the TC and AH programs. Most time it is working invisibly, other times you CAN tell.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:33 PM
Jstockton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
FedEx Bowl 4 St. Jude '09
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

any more info on what this does... Interesting.. for some reason it feels in 2nd gear like my clutch slips a little, but yet in first & third through 5th nothing slips... tried the stomping on it at low speed in 5th and pulls fine.. but for some reason something happens in 2nd.. could possibly be driver??
Old 08-23-2007, 02:37 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Torque management in a C5 manual? No I dont think so, or it is very very mild, I can spin my rear wheels in four gears, with or without TC on.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:43 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

this is interesting. can someone please explain what torque management is and what it does?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 PM
dwjz06
Dogface

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 120 Likes on 60 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Torque management in a C5 manual? No I dont think so, or it is very very mild, I can spin my rear wheels in four gears, with or without TC on.
If you say so. I sat there and watched my tuner edit the table using hp Tuner software. In my 2002 Z06 If you leave traction control on, and start spinning the car will adjust the spin and light up in the DIC AH/TC so not so sure what your saying works in all C5's. JMHO
Old 08-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Torque management in a C5 manual? No I dont think so

Torque Management is the act of pulling timing when a calculated
"MAX TORQUE" value of the drivetrain is being breached. Please don't confuse TM will all the other systems on a C5.

Active handling and Traction control are different systems, and not to be confused with Torque Management.

torque management on the 6 speed C5 is never activated unless the abuse mode is invoked (which you couldn't do that if you tried).

Here's the truth: yep; there is a TM table in the 6 speed PCM program.

here's the rest of the story... it's never activated. Timing is never "pulled" from the 6 speed by the TM system because it calculates a torque maximum value will be breached (it's pulled for other reasons ... like knock sensor detection; but this is not the "Torque management" system).

Just bucause the TM table (in a 6 speed C5 pcm ) is altered by a programmer... doesn't mean anything changes in the operation of the car.

If I find a "4 wheel drive" activation table in the C5 PCM... does it then have 4wd ???

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 08-23-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:35 AM
JIMS SVT
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is a old thread but I think I'm having this issue with my 99frc. First time to the track with the new motor and clutch setup. Powershifted every gear and it feels like the car cuts out every time. Like its pulling timing or closing the throttle. I'm not lifting on the gas at all. This is on a mt drag radial. I know if the car didn't pause like this between shifts it would pickup a lot. What's the deal here?
Old 11-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Anthraxmm
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMS SVT
I know this is a old thread but I think I'm having this issue with my 99frc. First time to the track with the new motor and clutch setup. Powershifted every gear and it feels like the car cuts out every time. Like its pulling timing or closing the throttle. I'm not lifting on the gas at all. This is on a mt drag radial. I know if the car didn't pause like this between shifts it would pickup a lot. What's the deal here?
was the clutch broken in all the way? Maybe its slipping when you power shift.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:18 PM
JIMS SVT
Pro

Car had a 500 mile break in before it was tuned.Over 1500 on it now. Its not clutch slip at all. Its like the car just shuts off or pulls power for that split second on the power shift. Or like you lift off the throttle. And that didn't happen. Foot is flat on the floor soon as i launch. And no smell of clutch at all.
Old 11-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Anthraxmm
Racer

Ive noticed my car at high rpm will cut out how you described when ive got a low tank of gas. Ive thought it could be little issues with my tune but its very rare and ive only noticed it with a low tank. Is it only when you power shift and into the next gear or just before the shift?
Old 11-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Anthraxmm
Racer

Also just a simple thought, rev limiter?
Old 11-03-2014, 05:44 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have the car in "competition mode"? Even when you turn traction control off, the active stability control is still in effect, and can take off timing if it feels the car is losing traction in 1 wheel, or detects yaw.

I personally keep stability control on, because it could save your butt if you start going sideways, but it could be causing what you're describing.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:27 PM
JIMS SVT
Pro

Originally Posted by Anthraxmm
Ive noticed my car at high rpm will cut out how you described when ive got a low tank of gas. Ive thought it could be little issues with my tune but its very rare and ive only noticed it with a low tank. Is it only when you power shift and into the next gear or just before the shift?
Basicly as soon as you shift and let out on the clutch it just pauses for a split second. Kinda like you lift off the gas. But im not lifting at all.I never noticed it untill I was at the track on drag radials. When it was getting traction. Not rev limiter either because I tried different rpms.
Old 11-03-2014, 06:29 PM
JIMS SVT
Pro

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55
Do you have the car in "competition mode"? Even when you turn traction control off, the active stability control is still in effect, and can take off timing if it feels the car is losing traction in 1 wheel, or detects yaw.

I personally keep stability control on, because it could save your butt if you start going sideways, but it could be causing what you're describing.
My car doesnt have competition mode or anything like that. Just one button for traction control. And it was off.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:25 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

My car doesnt have competition mode or anything like that. Just one button for traction control. And it was off.
Competition mode is activated by pressing the T/C button for 5 seconds right?

Get notified of new replies

To Six speed torque management?

Old 11-03-2014, 11:02 PM
c4_4ya
Pro

My 2000 did the same thing when shifting to where the tires would start breaking loose- mine would start to spin then fall flat on its face for about a second. It did this with TC/AH on, TC/AH off, and in comp mode. I used HPT to mess around with TM and other related settings a few years ago so I don't remember exactly what I set. I do remember setting the torque mgmt from its default to whatever the max value was. Seems like I also messed with fuel cutoff somewhere. One other thing I remember checking was the clutch pedal switch, I think I may have tightened or adjusted it. Again all this is going from my admittedly pathetic memory of 2-3 years ago but hopefully you have some ideas of what to look at. Might want to talk to a tuner about these settings, or post in c5 scan/tune and maybe the HPT forums for advice.

End result is now as long as I'm either set in comp mode or TC/AH off its all good, I can power shift and roast the tires if I really want to. But if both TC/AH are on it will fall on its face when the tires start to break loose.

HTH
Old 11-04-2014, 04:46 AM
JIMS SVT
Pro

I never noticed it on regular radials because the car just kills those. But at the track is when I noticed it on a drag radial. Talked to my tuner and he said we will have o take a look at it. Sounds like you had the same issue so we can look where you did .Thanks
Old 11-04-2014, 07:37 AM
c4_4ya
Pro

Would be interested to know what you guys find so I could go back and compare. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Six speed torque management?