Sponsored by:

\\HELP// Car hit today in the 757

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 04:10 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
Charlie- I will call bullsh!t on that statement from personal experience. I had a 95 3KGT VR4 and was backed into with very similar results tot he front bumper. My car was silver and a used red bumper showed up. With the bodyshops support the bumper was returned and a BRAND NEW bumper was put on the car. This was in 99. Not sure why this situation would be any different. My car was PERFECT and had a clear bra which was also reinstalled at over $700
YOU can call it whatever you want - give your agent a call and ask him about NEW OEM parts on a 9 year old car!!! Come on get real - you got lucky, he may as well - sometimes you can yell and scream and get your way IF the car is LOW mileage, only driven infrequently and looks it to the adjuster when he examines the car for wear and tear.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:13 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 425 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishJoker
YOU can call it whatever you want - give your agent a call and ask him about NEW OEM parts on a 9 year old car!!! Come on get real - you got lucky, he may as well - sometimes you can yell and scream and get your way IF the car is LOW mileage, only driven infrequently and looks it to the adjuster when he examines the car for wear and tear.
Your right. I must just have great insurance. Wait it was his. HAHAHA I assure you my 8 year old car will not get a used bumper if ever hit. It will have a tigershark and I am waiting for that day.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:19 PM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your right. I must just have great insurance. Wait it was his. HAHAHA I assure you my 8 year old car will not get a used bumper if ever hit. It will have a tigershark and I am waiting for that day.
Only if you PAY the difference between the "USED Bumper" and the Tigershark.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Dans97
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok . . .

I received a call from HIS insurance company saying that they will pay for the damages. His insurance company is State Farm. They gave me two options to get this taken care of.

1. Go through State Farm approved Repair Facility.

2. Go through a Drive-In Estimate Facility-- which happens to be the local GM Dealership by my house. She mentioned that they would look at it and write me a check for the damages the same day.

Now what would be the best option if I wanted to upgrade to a Tigershark/or new paint job ?

Thanks

Dan

BTW who sales the Tigershark ??
Old 10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 425 Likes on 322 Posts

dan- Charlie is almost there. HAHA I am kidding buddy. Take that car to the dealer. They will quote with new parts "I think" you will then have to come out of pocket for the tigershark difference. Find a good bodyshop
Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
rcarl
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How the heck did that lower valance damage result from getting hit by a Tundra? I would expect tire marks on your hood, not a hole 3 inches off the ground.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Dans97
Racer

Originally Posted by rcarl
How the heck did that lower valance damage result from getting hit by a Tundra? I would expect tire marks on your hood, not a hole 3 inches off the ground.
I have no idea. . .good question though
Old 10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
OIF2XVET
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Just FYI if you were looking for a chance to upgrade the front to a tigershark front now is the time. I have seen many posts here where it is even cheaper to get that installed with the insurance money than a stock front end. Just giving you a heads up if you were thinking about it.

ooops i just noticed someone beat me to it.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:39 PM
97C5driver
Melting Slicks

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

dan- Charlie is almost there. HAHA I am kidding buddy. Take that car to the dealer. They will quote with new parts "I think" you will then have to come out of pocket for the tigershark difference. Find a good bodyshop
i don't think the dealer deals with used parts. they will quote maximum price!!!!! which means a NEW bumper and whatever other new parts they think they can squeeze out of the insurance co. because they think they will be doing the repair work. and the insurance company will say " No problem".

then you take your money and do what you want.

I have had seen this happen on numerous occasions. And another point, when i damaged all my right side suspension, the insurance co. sure as hell didnt request used suspension parts, or used brake parts, or 2 used wheels, nor did they depreciate value on these things. only on brake pads and tires.

Last edited by 97C5driver; 10-23-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:02 PM
DefenderC5
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I read the title to this thread and I thought your car was hit by an airline.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/757family/

Sorry for your misfortune, but at least the person who did it stuck around. Many aren't so lucky.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:02 PM
jacks996
Jacks996
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Sorry about the damage but you are really lucky he confessed about the damage. 99 percent of these threads are people that got a hit and run
Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 PM
C6NRED
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Busarider
Looks like a great time for a Tiger Shark
Old 10-23-2007, 05:45 PM
C5'S LS1
Drifting

Go do some homework yourself. Don't wait for any insurance company to look out for your best intrest. Aint gona happen.

Get some estimates on an aftermarket fascia plus paint.
Or custom fix your original one with chin spoiler.

Just get an idea what it would cost, so you can compare with what the insurance is willing to offer you. You may find a shop that will do what you want, with the insurance company writing a check directly to that body shop.

Sorry about your misfortune.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:52 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jacks996
Sorry about the damage but you are really lucky he confessed about the damage. 99 percent of these threads are people that got a hit and run
Good luck
Old 10-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Dans97
Racer

This is what I'll do. . Can't do a Tigershark in the front because my driveway that leads to the garage is to steep for that. I'm going to take it to the State Farm adjuster at the local GM dealer and also have them do the repair as well. I have a big scratch on the hood from when the past owner had a bad experience on the highway. That way the dealership will find as many things wrong with the car and get the insurance company to approve of it also.

What do you guys think ?

Dan
Old 10-23-2007, 10:29 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by IrishJoker
A. YOU don't file a claim with YOUR Insurance company! All you do is call them and let them know your car was hit.

B. The other guy hit you - his insurance company is going to pay for all the damages to your car - I agree it was nice of him to stop and identify himself. At least it was not a hit and run.

C. If you got all of his information - his insurance company, his name, etc. YOU call his insurance company and ensure that he has notified them of the accident. They will arrange for an adjuster to come to your house and look at the vehicle. Usually they will then give you a list of "approved" repair facilities in your area that they deal with. Most likely a Chevy dealership collision repair center will be on their list.

D. Go over what the adjuster has estimated the damages to be - usually for a vette they are very careful about ensuring that only GM parts go back on the car. The only time during this whole process that you may have to get YOUR insurance company involved is if you and his insurance company adjuster have a disagreement over damages. Then you have a choice - you either go along with what the adjuster has written up and get it fixed or you say "NO" and go with your insurance company doing the estimating of repairs, paying your deductable and then wait around for about 2 yrs while your insurance company sues the other guy's insurance company for the repairs and maybe just maybe you will get your deductable back then. It's not a fun process.
I got my vette hit on the interstate - during stop and go traffic during rush hour - the other guys adjuster did a good job of estimating the repair of my back bumper cap - what I did not like was the Chevy repair facility not following the write up to the letter. They were suppose to remove the cap, check for hidden damage - strip and re-paint the complete cap - they did not do this - how do I know? They did not remove the chrome letter inserts on the cap that's how I knew they cheated and did a touch up job. When questioned they admitted what they did but the touch up is guranteed for life - so if the clear coat peals at some future date they will re-do it. So hold onto all of the paper work you get on the repairs.

I have not read every post in this thread, but I do agree with this one. CALL HIS INSURANCE COMPANY and tell them everything. They should take care of the rest. This recently happened to me as well and my Vette is all fixed now. Good Luck.

EDIT: I've got some more to add:

Ok . . .

I received a call from HIS insurance company saying that they will pay for the damages. His insurance company is State Farm. They gave me two options to get this taken care of.

1. Go through State Farm approved Repair Facility.

2. Go through a Drive-In Estimate Facility-- which happens to be the local GM Dealership by my house. She mentioned that they would look at it and write me a check for the damages the same day.

Now what would be the best option if I wanted to upgrade to a Tigershark/or new paint job ?
This is EXACTLY what happened with me. The lady that hit me had State Farm. I chose to go to the drive up facility. They did an estimate and made a check out to me for more than $1200. I asked them what would happen, being that I was going to a shop of my choosing, if the repairs cost more than their estimate. They said that the body shop would need to contact them and talk things over. The shop did this and the shop was then sent a check for more than $600. (My repair was the rear though)

Again, good luck.

Last edited by 91LSMAN; 10-23-2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Dans97
Racer

Originally Posted by 91LSMAN

This is EXACTLY what happened with me. The lady that hit me had State Farm. I chose to go to the drive up facility. They did an estimate and made a check out to me for more than $1200. I asked them what would happen, being that I was going to a shop of my choosing, if the repairs cost more than their estimate. They said that the body shop would need to contact them and talk things over. The shop did this and the shop was then sent a check for more than $600. (My repair was the rear though)

Again, good luck.

Wow. . Then that is definitely the course of action I'll take. Go to the drive in Insurance Adjuster at the GM Dealership and have them get a quote. Then figure out a good place to get the repairs done.

Thanks for All the Help and Replies

Dan

Get notified of new replies

To \\HELP// Car hit today in the 757

Old 10-23-2007, 10:50 PM
AFRob
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd add one more thing to some of the good advice you got here:

So you don't have to sweat it out in the future, get your insurance policy updated.--If you're the primary driver, have your policy reflect that. That way, if you're ever dealing with your company it will be straightforward and you'll have nothing to worry about.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:04 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I agree as someone else said, DON'T file a claim with your insurance, Let his pay for it, Plain and simple. My WS6 got hit and the other party paid 100% to fix the car, You can let your insurance company know about it, But don't file a claim at all. Also if the police didn't come out you should file a report just in case.

Last edited by Mr.Bill; 10-23-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:25 AM
RedRiderZR1
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Having worked with body shops in the past. Make sure you get a good one (references). State Farm WILL get you a new OEM bumper. My 7 year old truck just got a new left side skin on the bed from a Hit and Run in a parking lot (turned it into swiss cheese). State Farm will fix it right. Just have to be sure of the body shop. Why, I have seen body shops order New OEM parts and then put on reproduction parts. Then send back the New OEM part to the dealer and turn in the New OEM parts invoice into the insurance company. That shop no longer exists. Wonder why?

Quick Reply: \\HELP// Car hit today in the 757