Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] Michellin PS2s as good at F1 Supercars in cold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 01:27 PM
tquinn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Twil1ght

Further - check your tire pressure... if Jed the tire mounting genius pumped them up to 36 pounds, they are over inflated.
Tire are inflated 33 front, 31 rear, same as I had the GY SCs.

I agree with the other comment made, there is more going on with the wiggle on the Michellins than just a couple of 32nds of tread depth. I'm not saying the Michellins are bad, but they do have this different characteristic.

tq
Old 11-17-2007, 08:04 PM
DrRich
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For someone who is considering replacement of the original F1 Supercars, this thread has become a little difficult to figure out for a recommendation. At first I felt that the Michelin PS2s were getting high marks; now I am not so sure. The reviews on the Tire Rack site are consistently better for the PS2s. Which is a better tire for the Z06, F1 or PS2?
DrR
Old 11-18-2007, 07:03 AM
DrRich
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ttt
Old 11-18-2007, 09:10 AM
SMR 67
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was researching this same issue (my F1s were toast at 15K and it was time for new tires) the consensus from the opinions I read on the forum from people who had in the past or now regularly track their cars generally concluded that the stock F1s are the best dry track/street tire (not 1/4 mile track), but the PS2s run a very close second on dry and are certainly a better all around tire since their grooves deal with the rain much better than the F1s.

That said, several on this forum will tell you that they've tracked their cars on F1s in the rain with no problems. I'm not as experienced on the track and wanted a little more protection from the tires in wet weather so I went with the PS2s.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:19 PM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrRich
For someone who is considering replacement of the original F1 Supercars, this thread has become a little difficult to figure out for a recommendation. At first I felt that the Michelin PS2s were getting high marks; now I am not so sure. The reviews on the Tire Rack site are consistently better for the PS2s. Which is a better tire for the Z06, F1 or PS2?
DrR
Often the case on this forum. Perhaps a good tool for figuring out who you should or shouldn't listen to would be to ask who has a professional racing license and who doesn't.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:08 PM
GeorgeZNJ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by SMR 67
When I was researching this same issue (my F1s were toast at 15K and it was time for new tires) the consensus from the opinions I read on the forum from people who had in the past or now regularly track their cars generally concluded that the stock F1s are the best dry track/street tire (not 1/4 mile track), but the PS2s run a very close second on dry and are certainly a better all around tire since their grooves deal with the rain much better than the F1s.

That said, several on this forum will tell you that they've tracked their cars on F1s in the rain with no problems. I'm not as experienced on the track and wanted a little more protection from the tires in wet weather so I went with the PS2s.

I've tracked my vette at Watkins Glen in rain, not a monsoon, but rain, standing water, and rain at Pocono with the F1's 100-125 mph in the straights with no problems. Turning in was ok also, just had use common sense. Never had a problem on the street in rain, again, just use common sense. The F1's are my rain tire choice on a road course.
Rain tire

Last edited by GeorgeZNJ; 11-18-2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:00 AM
tvlance
Racer

Often the case on this forum. Perhaps a good tool for figuring out who you should or shouldn't listen to would be to ask who has a professional racing license and who doesn't. ...yea...ok...what do I know...you're right... they're awful.
No one said they were awful. Is it possible to discuss a topic on this forum without at least one member posting replies in a jerkish, know-it-all kind of way? Seriously man. And if you know of anyone with a "professional racing license", then please let us know. It'd be good if that person also could explain in a civil way why different tires have different feels to them. That's what some of us are discussing... the different feels of these tires. You say it's simply tread depth, but it feels like more than that. Now if you or anyone else can explain that in further detail, great. Sorry if I'm ranting... had a bad day. I just get tired of people acting like they know it all, yet aren't civil or nice about it, nor explain any credentials or experience they may have to support their advice.

But back to the original topic, having owned both tires, I think they're both great. They just have slightly different feels that will be noticeable. I'm sure my PS2's will evolve as they're more worn in over time.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Twil1ght
Drifting

Originally Posted by tvlance
No one said they were awful. Is it possible to discuss a topic on this forum without at least one member posting replies in a jerkish, know-it-all kind of way? Seriously man. And if you know of anyone with a "professional racing license", then please let us know. It'd be good if that person also could explain in a civil way why different tires have different feels to them. That's what some of us are discussing... the different feels of these tires. You say it's simply tread depth, but it feels like more than that. Now if you or anyone else can explain that in further detail, great. Sorry if I'm ranting... had a bad day. I just get tired of people acting like they know it all, yet aren't civil or nice about it, nor explain any credentials or experience they may have to support their advice.

But back to the original topic, having owned both tires, I think they're both great. They just have slightly different feels that will be noticeable. I'm sure my PS2's will evolve as they're more worn in over time.
I have one. Most people here know that. I have also posted some rather long tire information gathered from various tire testing I have participated in. Search is your friend.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:18 PM
zulatr
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by striper
I had my alignment done at the shop that does performance suspension development for GM, and they actually change some of GM's alignment settings to improve handling, one of which surprisingly is to run slightly less camber in front. After their alignment my car's handling was so much better I am amazed at how much more nimble it feels.
Do you have the specifics of how they set up the front end?
Less camber, where did they set the toe?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:31 PM
ctusser
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zulatr
Do you have the specifics of how they set up the front end?
Less camber, where did they set the toe?
Yes we want details!

And the supercars are crap on cold pavement, last night I had a 90's buick century beat me off the line at a stoplight
Old 04-14-2008, 11:19 PM
HJZ06
Intermediate

Thanks guys, I read all the posts and going to replace my SC's with more SC's. #1917 will be happy!
Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 AM
tvlance
Racer

...let me try spelling it out...

The PS2 has a slightly softer compound (the rubber compound itself, not the sidewall, not the belts) than the F1 Supercar. The PS2 has more tread depth (and width to the channels) when new than a new F1 Supercar tire. The combination of these two factors will make the tire feel as though it squirms when it is new. This is because the tread blocks are flexing. Once a couple of 32nds have worn off, this will no longer occur. If you were to compare the two tires by shaving them both to 4/32nds right out of the box you would find the PS2 to generate a slightly faster lap time.

Further - check your tire pressure... if Jed the tire mounting genius pumped them up to 36 pounds, they are over inflated.

I see someone revived this old thread. I can say after about 3000 miles on my PS2's, I'm happy to report back that they're doing great. Treadwear seems to be fine so far, although the rears are more worn than the fronts (all the fun burnouts may have something to do with that). The squirm I spoke of multiple times is still there, so I seriously doubt that condition is caused by greater tread depth than the SC's. I'm betting the whole back end of the car springs at least 1/2" to the opposite side I jerked the steering wheel before springing back to center. I doubt the tread alone causes that much lateral travel. I'll report back after another 3000 miles have been put on the tires. Oh and my pressure usually stays around 32psi.

Other than that, they're still great tires! I'm still wondering though what a fresh set of SC's feel like, or perhaps I'll try another tire all together when it's that time again someday. I'd have no problem with buying another set of PS2's though.

Quick Reply: [Z06] Michellin PS2s as good at F1 Supercars in cold?