Sponsored by:

Bend Pak HD-9

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 PM
powellrb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bend Pak HD-9

A buddy and I each just purchased one each of the above. Have them in our respective garages but need assembling. I'm old and he's even older but it was our intentions to install these ourselves. Got a bad back and don't want to chance it. Called ASE where we bought the lifts for a recommended installer in our area (Southern Maryland - 65 miles south of Washington, DC). Guy they referred us to wants $900 for each lift but said he could give us a "deal" and do both for $750 each if he did them on the same day. Doesn't seem like such a deal to me...

Anyway, was curious as to what others typically pay or have paid recently for an install of a 4 post lift in the Wash, DC area. I don't mind paying a reasonable price but I think the quoted price is a bit high To keep from getting in hot water w/the moderators, if you know of a quality installer that's reasonable, would appreciate a PM with the specifics.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:39 PM
BIG ATLANTA
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I just put together 2 propark 7's which are identical to yours First unit took 4 hours second took 2.5 for 1500 I'll fly up to you and do it. It's not that hard we used a floor jack and a funiture dolley if you can pick up 70 lbs its not a problem. Any questions just ask.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:48 PM
powellrb
Racer

Appreciate the insight, Brother. Been following your thread for those pearls of wisdom.
v/r,
RP
Old 12-03-2007, 09:56 PM
BIG ATLANTA
Racer

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

As much help as I have gotten over the years. I need to help out when i can. You can PM me and I'll give you my contact info and I can probably walk you through it as you go.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Wish you were closer - I'd be happy to help for a pot of coffee and some company. I installed my HD-9 last year with the help of a buddy for the heavy parts and the rest alone. I initially had a local installer quote me $450 for the job and decided to do it myself. Heck, why let him have all the fun? Glad I did it. I learned a lot about the lift itself and it was a fun project.

Here are a few threads I've posted about the installation.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1468748

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1658540

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1470876
Old 12-05-2007, 09:59 AM
OC1Dave
Instructor

I did mine (9000# AMPRO) by myself with a engine crane (The ~$150 kind that has wheels and a cantalevered boom designed to pull engines). Set up the four posts and lift the end rails over the posts one at a time with the crane all the way out. You can then lift each ramp into place with the crane boom moved in. No way would I pay that kind of money for what is a relatively easy do it yourself job (even easier with a couple of friends). The hardest part of the process is getting the lift delivered as it comes in one package that weighs 1500# and is 20 ft long by 4 ft square. I had it delivered to a friend's business who had a forklift that could lift it off of the truck and onto my trailer. When I got it home, I opened and unpacked the parts while still on the trailer and moved them one at a time with my engine crane. Be careful and let the crane do the heavy lifting.
Old 12-05-2007, 11:29 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I also have a BEND PAK HD9 lift in my shop. I bought it directly from a BEND PAK's recommended list of installers. He ordered it w/o any money up front, delivered it and installed it in three hours.
His delivery (from 125 miles away) and installation cost was $250...he's been installing commercial lifts for 40 years, @ 69 years old and 140#.
He said he travels out of state for work...
Old 12-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Novat_99
Drifting

I used a factory authorized installer for my Rotary Revolution & paid about $900 as well. The factory reps were apologizing to me...they said the Northeast / NY / NJ / PA area is typically higher in installation prices than most of the country

It was still worth every penny to me...for the piece of mind to know it was done right.

Good luck....post up some pics when completed.
Old 12-05-2007, 07:31 PM
oaks99
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

i hear tell a engine hoist works pretty nice to pick up the rails , when i got mine i had it on a trailer , my son-in-law and my best buddy were going to help , but by the time they came out to the building i had it off the trailer , and i have a real bad back , you just need to leverage them around . $250.00 would be ok to pay but any more than that is a freaking rip off .

oak

good luck you'll love it afer it is done
Old 12-05-2007, 07:37 PM
tellefan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Wish you were closer. My two son's and a friend put mine together in two hours for 2-30 packs of Busch. The deal was no beer until it was together. David
Old 12-05-2007, 08:13 PM
bobzap
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

We were going to install our own but as luck would have it we stopped at a local gas station where the lift company installers were installing a 2 post lift and asked if they would put ours in as a side job they said sure for $400.00 and we each took out $200.00 and let them put it in. They did a great job and saved us older guys probably 2 days work, a sore back, countless adjustments and got their home phone for any problems. We've had none! And I just love how my vette rests on the top in the heated humidified garage waiting for spring.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:42 AM
MY64
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
I also have a BEND PAK HD9 lift in my shop. I bought it directly from a BEND PAK's recommended list of installers. He ordered it w/o any money up front, delivered it and installed it in three hours.
His delivery (from 125 miles away) and installation cost was $250...he's been installing commercial lifts for 40 years, @ 69 years old and 140#.
He said he travels out of state for work...
I live in the Phoenix area, would you mind sharing the name and phone number of your installer?

Thanks
LEC
Old 12-06-2007, 11:05 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Originally Posted by MY64
I live in the Phoenix area, would you mind sharing the name and phone number of your installer?

Thanks
LEC
I sent you the information via reply to your PM.
I need to make a correction on the labor charge that the installer charged me. I should have dug up the receipts before typing away. :o :o
The labor was $350, still less expensive than others mentioned here and others that have installed lifts for me in the past.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 12-06-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:21 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

This might be of interest to someone in the metro Phoenix area.
It's a new ad on Phoenix CRAIGSLIST for a "like new" BEND PAK lift in which you have to move yourself. There is little information on the ad. I don't even know that the seller is in Phoenix. It's listed at $2,600.00.
I can't give the link, but the listing number is 500884397. I am not the seller and I cannot vouch for the seller...just passing on some information.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 12-06-2007 at 07:25 PM.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:13 PM
powellrb
Racer

Thanks for all the replies guys. Guess we'll tackle the install ourselves.
Patches - your photos of your install were excellent!

Hollywood FRC - not in SMCC any more. Was for a couple of years. 03 - 05. I'm the guy with the 50th Anny vert. Don't know when you joined. Just no time and travel too much for work. I live over in Bushwood if you want to stop by sometime, see the lift, drink a beer.

I'm taking some time off from work at Christmas - guess we'll put it together then.

Again - thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Happy Holidays!
Randy
Old 12-11-2007, 02:19 PM
American Hydrocarbon

I would contact the local Corvette Club and see if there is interest in a work party for beer and burgers. Good Luck!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:59 PM
HollywoodFRC
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Will take you up on it

Originally Posted by powellrb
Thanks for all the replies guys. Guess we'll tackle the install ourselves.
Patches - your photos of your install were excellent!

Hollywood FRC - not in SMCC any more. Was for a couple of years. 03 - 05. I'm the guy with the 50th Anny vert. Don't know when you joined. Just no time and travel too much for work. I live over in Bushwood if you want to stop by sometime, see the lift, drink a beer.

I'm taking some time off from work at Christmas - guess we'll put it together then.

Again - thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

Happy Holidays!
Randy
Randy, I'll also be off most of the holiday. I'll PM you for a good time to come over. Let me know if you need any help installing.

Get notified of new replies

To Bend Pak HD-9

Quick Reply: Bend Pak HD-9