Sponsored by:

Is someone trying to rip me off?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 PM
FUN LS1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I'm just amazed there is a Johndoetown and a Maryjanetown.
Old 12-29-2007, 12:53 AM
DavzC5
Drifting

Location: Houston, TX www.djmotorsportaccessories.com Specializing in C5 & C6 Accessories. DJ Motorsport Accessories.
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by FUN LS1
I'm just amazed there is a Johndoetown and a Maryjanetown.
I thought he was making those up to protect the innocent.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:23 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Received 411 Likes on 280 Posts

Well im gonna agree with some on here get him the money back and sell them locally or someone in the states. I know for a FACT, that he can still get his money back from Paypal. Im actually in the same situation. I sold something on ebay and the buyer contacted paypal and said it was defective (when its new and I tested it) and wanted their money back. I said there was no refunds and Paypal still paid him back when I had a $0 balance in my Paypal account. It now has a negative balance and I cant use it until I pay Paypal back. So in short it sounds like a scam to me, you should have made them bid on it then and completed everything by their rules (e-bay/paypal) Even then it doesnt guarantee anything, but if you shipped ot an unconfirmed address your not insured. What Im thinking is they will wait until the seats are shipped then file a claim and try to get the money back. I dont know but i'd be leary.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:34 AM
largeitalian
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Well im gonna agree with some on here get him the money back and sell them locally or someone in the states. I know for a FACT, that he can still get his money back from Paypal. Im actually in the same situation. I sold something on ebay and the buyer contacted paypal and said it was defective (when its new and I tested it) and wanted their money back. I said there was no refunds and Paypal still paid him back when I had a $0 balance in my Paypal account. It now has a negative balance and I cant use it until I pay Paypal back. So in short it sounds like a scam to me, you should have made them bid on it then and completed everything by their rules (e-bay/paypal) Even then it doesnt guarantee anything, but if you shipped ot an unconfirmed address your not insured. What Im thinking is they will wait until the seats are shipped then file a claim and try to get the money back. I dont know but i'd be leary.
Yes but your item was on ebay, this was an off ebay deal. So if he gets the seats which im going to make sure he does...and then claims he didnt, its going to be a word vs. word in paypal and I will provide the tracking number which would probably sway it in my favor I would think.
Old 12-29-2007, 01:58 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Ah, but here is the problem. He paid you with Paypal, and I would assume he had a confirmed shipping addy correct? If you didnt ship to that addy, then you are the one screwed. If a seller ships to an unverified addy, he is at his risk. I would call Greyhound and have them resend them to the correct addy only. To protect yourself.

Paypal sides with the buyer 95% of the time BTW. even when I sold on e-bay it was my word vs his and he still got a refund.

Last edited by Quik Z06; 12-29-2007 at 02:35 AM.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:34 AM
largeitalian
Pro

Yes the paypal shipping address was his Norway address and unconfirmed and ineligible for seller protection...this sounds like one I should get out of ASAP...
Old 12-29-2007, 02:38 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by largeitalian
Yes the paypal shipping address was his Norway address and unconfirmed and ineligible for seller protection...this sounds like one I should get out of ASAP...
I agree, better safe then sorry. Because you could be out seats and the money. Lol, believe me Paypal is not safe at all. Have you seen this site?? http://paypalsucks.com/ When you have some time browse through there and see how bad people have been ripped off by Paypal.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:49 AM
largeitalian
Pro

and why would he want this 3rd party shipping company involved...why not just have me ship them overseas directly? this sounds like a rotten egg to me, I will most likely call greyhound and get the seats rerouted to my house, return the money, and try to sell them again.
Old 12-29-2007, 02:56 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by jdmvette
well you got paid...so he's not scamming you. he just needs a little more help.

but yeah he should have been more clear on where the seats are going.
but I wonder why he couldn't just get it shipped to his address in Norway. It's what I do all the time
Old 12-29-2007, 02:57 AM
largeitalian
Pro

oh and another thing, the ebay name he used to contact me from was created 12/07...or this month with 0 transactions
Old 12-29-2007, 02:57 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

and why would he want this 3rd party shipping company involved...why not just have me ship them overseas directly? this sounds like a rotten egg to me, I will most likely call greyhound and get the seats rerouted to my house, return the money, and try to sell them again.
Maybe he had negotiated a good deal on shipping a large item or had someone at the shipping company he could trust.

The Big 4 shippers charge vastly different rates as I know from experience. I've had variations of $100+ between USPS and UPS.

Ask him for a phone # and talk to him direct. International rates are low nowadays. A broad generalization I know but in my experience the Norwegians are an honest Nation.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:00 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Get your seats back and refund the money. If it was a few bucks, no big deal, live and learn. But with this amount of money I would not be messing around.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:02 AM
largeitalian
Pro

thanx quik you've been a big help
Old 12-29-2007, 03:03 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Get your seats back and refund the money. If it was a few bucks, no big deal, live and learn. But with this amount of money I would not be messing around.
But then the OP would be out on the shipping costs. Maybe the forwarding freight agent would collect them from marydoetown?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:06 AM
largeitalian
Pro

Originally Posted by DeeGee
But then the OP would be out on the shipping costs. Maybe the forwarding freight agent would collect them from marydoetown?
I would be out on the shipping costs correct, I would be out $94, but I would rather be out $94 then $1200 and a pair of vette seats worth that much.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:14 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

I agree, I would rather lose shipping than everything. Im serious check out that site you wont believe what paypal has done to some people. They have so many lawsuits against them right now its not even funny.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:10 AM
VRROOOM2
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

This will be best because of too many errors in judgement when you were trying to do the right thing from the start, then he got you going down a bad road... to where he MIGHT rip you off and then you'll be out of the seats and the cash... Better to lose $250 if you sell them locally than 1250 AND the seats...

I say judgement errors but that's not to say you were wrong, greedy or trying to scam anyone, he is the one that started the suspect activity... and lured you in... spit that hook out now and get your seats back!! My .02 cents... Better safe than sorry!!

Good luck and let us know how it comes out!!

Get notified of new replies

To Is someone trying to rip me off?

Old 12-29-2007, 05:34 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

All good points

I guess I feel somewhat on the defensive being in the same situation quite often. I need to get parts and accessories shipped from the US and it requires an element of trust on both sides. I often look for the best shipping deals because it can double the cost of an item if not. There again, the thought of ripping someone off never even enters my mind but I guess there are scam artists on every street corner.

I'd still try to speak with him personally but maybe cutting your losses is the safest.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:41 AM
0Quik Z06
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DeeGee
All good points

I guess I feel somewhat on the defensive being in the same situation quite often. I need to get parts and accessories shipped from the US and it requires an element of trust on both sides. I often look for the best shipping deals because it can double the cost of an item if not. There again, the thought of ripping someone off never even enters my mind but I guess there are scam artists on every street corner.

I'd still try to speak with him personally but maybe cutting your losses is the safest.
I can see where your coming from, im sure it's a PITA sometimes. However having him ship to an unconfirmed address, having a new e-bay account, asking to break e-bay rules to buy the seats etc is to suspicious for me
Old 12-29-2007, 08:02 AM
tbaker1964
Instructor

What if they were YOUR seats and you just turned loose of a grand? I'd track the seats down and ship to the correct address.....

Quick Reply: Is someone trying to rip me off?