Sponsored by:

GEICO Claims Adjustor says Aftermarket instead of OEM

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:32 PM
aus10cop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GEICO Claims Adjustor says Aftermarket instead of OEM

Yes, it is sad to say, my C5 was involved in a minor accident just before Christmas (not my fault and everyone is okay). There was minor damage to the drivers side door and the left front wheel. I took it to the Geico Claims Adjustor this morning for a damage estimate, and he said that he's going to write up the estimate to reflect that the wheel could be reconditioned. If for some reason the repair place cannot recondition the wheel to its original condition, he ok'd for them to replace my wheel with an aftermarket equivalent and NOT the OEM wheel. This is the first time I have been personally involved in an accident, but this is raising a RED FLAG with me.

Can anyone tell me if this is an acceptible practice, and is the aftermarket wheel just as good as an OEM one? I don't know much about this, but doesn't an aftermarket wheel weigh more than the OEM? Better yet, how is my car going to perform with 3 OEM wheels and 1 Aftermarket? Please tell me what I should do before I potentially get screwed on this deal. Thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:34 PM
jon c
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I dont know what normal is but I think I would put up a fight....
Old 01-04-2008, 03:47 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

If it's in your policy, then they can do it. If one of my oem polished Z16 wheels got damaged and my carrier wanted to replace it with an after market, off shore made/heavier wheel, I'd be upset. I'd also contact the state insurance department.
Unfortunately, most insurers use after market replacement parts to reduce their costs.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

There's no way one aftermarket wheel and 3 OEM wheels would be safe on a 180 mph sports car.

Raise the flag
Old 01-04-2008, 04:03 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,309 Likes on 13,980 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Might want to check what your policy says - some do say they can use aftermarket parts on the car. IMO, it depends on who makes the aftermarket wheel as to whether it is as good or better than OEM. Personally, I'd be fighting for an OEM one.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:06 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Tell them you are not happy and your neck is hurting

That might help them to stop being a cheap ***.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I used to be an adjuster at GEICO... ask for his manager and it will be taken care of. As an adjuster one of the things he gets reviewed on is aftermarket parts usage percentage. So where applicable he's technically supposed to write for an aftermarket wheel.

Personally I'd have never bothered writing for aftermarket parts on higher end cars.

All you have to do is explain/show that the aftermarket wheel is different in form and weight. The repro wheels have thicker spokes and are heavier.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:40 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 440 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Might want to check what your policy says - some do say they can use aftermarket parts on the car. IMO, it depends on who makes the aftermarket wheel as to whether it is as good or better than OEM. Personally, I'd be fighting for an OEM one.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:44 PM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Typically, most insurance policies attempt to return your vehicle in to the condition that it was in prior to the accident.

This can mean a lot of things. For example - if you have a ten year old car, they have no obligation to replace your part with a brand new part. They might replace it with a good quality used part. In the case of a wheel - I don't think there's much you can say if they found you a good quality used OEM wheel, as long as it's appearance was as good if not better than what you had. But there is no way I would accept an aftermarket wheel - since that is not what I had prior to the accident.

I agree - contact the adjuster's manager and attempt to reasonably reach a conclusion. If you call up screaming and yelling you will probably get no compromise. Be reasonable and rational, as well as informed, and I would think a satisfactory compromise could be reached. The suggestion of reading your policy to familiarize yourself with the verbiage and what the company is required to provide is a good one. Do a little homework before you call the manager.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:56 PM
PostShawn
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blacksedan87
I agree - contact the adjuster's manager and attempt to reasonably reach a conclusion. If you call up screaming and yelling you will probably get no compromise. Be reasonable and rational, as well as informed, and I would think a satisfactory compromise could be reached. The suggestion of reading your policy to familiarize yourself with the verbiage and what the company is required to provide is a good one. Do a little homework before you call the manager.

Good luck.

too
Old 01-04-2008, 05:26 PM
tellefan
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy, I have Geico. I truly hope if I ever have an accident they won't try that on me. Reading your post it sounds like the person that caused the accident is the party with Geico. If that is the case, I'd call your insurance company and explain how they're trying to screw you.

Also you might start talking about diminished value to your car. It makes a difference when you go to sell or trade in. Hope it works out for you. David
Old 01-04-2008, 05:28 PM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tellefan
Oh boy, I have Geico. I truly hope if I ever have an accident they won't try that on me. Reading your post it sounds like the person that caused the accident is the party with Geico. If that is the case, I'd call your insurance company and explain how they're trying to screw you.

Also you might start talking about diminished value to your car. It makes a difference when you go to sell or trade in. Hope it works out for you. David
Thats why I don't insure with companies that are cheap.

State Farm - you get what you pay for. You can't normally talk about diminished value unless its like 25% of total value of car.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 01-04-2008 at 05:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:36 PM
American Hydrocarbon

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Old 01-04-2008, 06:31 PM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I would definitely fight to get them to replace it with the oem version. They are just trying to keep their costs down, even though you've been paying them probably 10x the cost of what they will pay out for your accident.

I would argue to them that it's a safety issue. that you don't feel comfortable from a safety standpoint with having 3 oem rims and one with inferior build quality.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
My99Vet
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not at fault and there was another car involved, it should be the other driver's insurance that is paying for repairs. If your insurance is repairing your vehicle, they will get reimbursed by the other driver's insurance company. They shouldn't try to keep the cost low if they are getting reimbursed. Just my .02
Old 01-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by aus10cop
Yes, it is sad to say, my C5 was involved in a minor accident just before Christmas (not my fault and everyone is okay). There was minor damage to the drivers side door and the left front wheel. I took it to the Geico Claims Adjustor this morning for a damage estimate, and he said that he's going to write up the estimate to reflect that the wheel could be reconditioned. If for some reason the repair place cannot recondition the wheel to its original condition, he ok'd for them to replace my wheel with an aftermarket equivalent and NOT the OEM wheel. This is the first time I have been personally involved in an accident, but this is raising a RED FLAG with me.

Can anyone tell me if this is an acceptible practice, and is the aftermarket wheel just as good as an OEM one? I don't know much about this, but doesn't an aftermarket wheel weigh more than the OEM? Better yet, how is my car going to perform with 3 OEM wheels and 1 Aftermarket? Please tell me what I should do before I potentially get screwed on this deal. Thanks.
Tell your agent you will refuse any aftermarket tire due to the manufacturing process being different that the speedline wheel. If he still causes problems go over his head.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:44 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Demand OEM

Get notified of new replies

To GEICO Claims Adjustor says Aftermarket instead of OEM

Old 01-04-2008, 06:52 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
Thats why I don't insure with companies that are cheap.

State Farm - you get what you pay for. You can't normally talk about diminished value unless its like 25% of total value of car.
State Farm took me to the cleaners on a really nice car when I was a young man. I will never trust them again.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:56 PM
cartop2
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

If worse come to worse, ask for the money for the after market wheel and then pay the difference to get the OEM wheel so that you have a matched set of wheels. That or negotiate a compromise where you pay some precentage of the difference.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Cozmo
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
CentralTX Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

I hate Geico. I had a minor accident in my C4 back in 2001. They were real jerks about getting it fixed to my satisfaction. I would fight it then switch next time your renewal comes up. I saved a lot by switching from them to Progressive.

Quick Reply: GEICO Claims Adjustor says Aftermarket instead of OEM