Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5R Style "DEPO" Projector Headlight Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:11 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,686 Posts

ssmith512
AH HA!!!!!!!

i knew i wasn't crazy!!!

i knew i saw those blue lights before. thanks, ssmith512

Last edited by jdmvette; 01-15-2008 at 01:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:16 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

LOL!!

You are crazy. I just took those pics and uploaded them this evening. see post number 58.

Anyway, I have been called crazy for many years, so welcome to the club! LOL!

I think most would like these lights.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:21 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by JB666
I REALLY like the looks of these, and of course the cost is very appealing.. Chrome/Black doesn't do it for me, either, so painting would be a must.. For those that have taken these apart, do you have any problems with moisture once they are back together??
Somebody might have a better suggestion, but it seems to me that Clear Silicone Sealer would offer an efficient seal. This way the body color can still show through. I think to get the perfect look, they should be painted all the way to the edge, rather than just the inner housing bucket.

Richard
Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking forward to your trial run Richard

Chuck
Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

There appears to be an O-ring around the perimeter that is used to seal theh upper and lower housings. I suppose if you removed the o-ring, you could still use clear silicone. Keep in mind though that clear silicone is not very "clear". It will not just dissappear and you may end up with the nasty looking caulk job that I portray in my pics (not as bad as mine I am sure, but once you press the two housing together, the caulk will just mush out wherever it wants not leaving a clean caulk line and you will still be able to see the caulk) I am wanting to get rid of the silicone and still use the o-ring for sealing purposes. I have an idea on how to mechanically re-fasten the two housing together from the bottom.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:43 PM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ssmith512
There appears to be an O-ring around the perimeter that is used to seal theh upper and lower housings. I suppose if you removed the o-ring, you could still use clear silicone. Keep in mind though that clear silicone is not very "clear". It will not just dissappear and you may end up with the nasty looking caulk job that I portray in my pics (not as bad as mine I am sure, but once you press the two housing together, the caulk will just mush out wherever it wants not leaving a clean caulk line and you will still be able to see the caulk) I am wanting to get rid of the silicone and still use the o-ring for sealing purposes. I have an idea on how to mechanically re-fasten the two housing together from the bottom.
Point taken ... sounds like there may be a better way of resealing. Maybe I'll be able to come up with a solution when I get dissecting one of these pups. Thanks again for your input Steve, you've been very helpful
Richard
Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
Somebody might have a better suggestion, but it seems to me that Clear Silicone Sealer would offer an efficient seal. This way the body color can still show through. I think to get the perfect look, they should be painted all the way to the edge, rather than just the inner housing bucket.

Richard
Clear silicone is a PAIN to make it dry clear. In order to do this, both surfaces must fit flat against eachother and be held together with pressure (A "C" clamp will work) for the duration of the cure time.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

How is the fit and quality of these lights, other than the painting issues ?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:07 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Old 01-14-2008, 10:18 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Lau
The ones NemesisC5 has are L5 ones, which are very good, but they have screws on the outside which detract (is that the right word?) from the look. Teh ones Deop has have no screws.......just so you all know
Mine are actually from Specter Werks. They originally came with black fasteners which literally showed rust from one evening outdoors after initial install. I replaced with stainless fasteners which I personally think look a bit "race-like", but definetely not clean like oem

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
....If you paint on the inside, you get a high-gloss appearence and never have to worry about paint damage (somthing to think about since i doubt the plastic has a same paint adhesion qualities as primered fiberglass.
Painting on the outside is no different that body panels on your car. In fact paint can be waxed, glazed, etc., where the clear outside cannot be doctored so easy if (when) you get scratches from flying rocks etc....6 of 1, half dozen of the other

Originally Posted by jrprich
....If the plexi is properly prepared and primered it should hold the paint well and will look more OEM painted on the outside than on the inside, IMO

[QUOTE=Cozmo;1563620090]I have seen Nemisis's car before. It is bad azz!

I think the black with the top painted gray would work with my car. but I think the whole thing painted like the pics above would look best. The previous owner had this set on it and offered to sell them to me, but I didn't like the looks in this pic.

Thanks Cozmo
Old 01-14-2008, 10:47 PM
PFMC3
Instructor

Originally Posted by C5VetteLS1
Jason, do you know who owns this C5? I'd like to find out how he opened the sealed unit. I'll bet he used heat.
Thanks,
Richard
I think I have seen that same car in person with the white lights.
Met the owner a few times.
I sent him a email pointing to the thread.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:06 PM
dsg049c
Pro

I would be interested in black when there is a group purchase..
Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 PM
snide
Team Owner

Received 172 Likes on 74 Posts
CI 4-5-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Are they DOT approved? Are they legal in NH? They've recently changed the laws regarding after market parts, including exhaust and lighting.

Are they brighter than the stock lamps? Pictures of the output compared to the stock lamps?

Old 01-15-2008, 12:21 AM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PFMC3
I think I have seen that same car in person with the white lights.
Met the owner a few times.
I sent him a email pointing to the thread.
Thanks Jason
Richard
Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 AM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by dsg049c
I would be interested in black when there is a group purchase..
If they check out well, the GP is on
Richard
Old 01-15-2008, 12:32 AM
C5VetteLS1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by snide
Are they DOT approved? Are they legal in NH? They've recently changed the laws regarding after market parts, including exhaust and lighting.

Are they brighter than the stock lamps? Pictures of the output compared to the stock lamps?

They are DOT, but I have no clue as to the laws in NH. Maybe you can ask a local LEO. Personally I thought if they met DOT, that they would be legal anywhere within the U.S. Sorry I wasn't more helpful. We don't have these lights yet, so the only photos we have access to, are posted on this thread. Once I get mine installed, I'll be glad to post pictures.
Richard

Last edited by C5VetteLS1; 01-15-2008 at 12:34 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Mr. Lau
Pro

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Mine are actually from Specter Werks. They originally came with black fasteners which literally showed rust from one evening outdoors after initial install. I replaced with stainless fasteners which I personally think look a bit "race-like", but definetely not clean like oem

Thanks Cozmo
Ohhh...sorry sir!! The L5 ones and the SpekterWerkes look extremely similar....actually, didn't the guy who originally deisgend the Spekter ones go to L5 to make a massive improvement? That's what I have been hearing..but anywho It's prolly cause you got L5 rear quarter flares that I thought you got the same manufacturer headlights. Sorry!!

Get notified of new replies

To C5R Style "DEPO" Projector Headlight Opinions?

Old 01-15-2008, 01:14 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,288 Likes on 1,686 Posts

LOL!!

You are crazy. I just took those pics and uploaded them this evening. see post number 58.

Anyway, I have been called crazy for many years, so welcome to the club! LOL!

I think most would like these lights.
i see in your original post you say that you've only owned this car for a month or so. i think the original owner (who did the nasty caulking job) may have posted some pics on here before because i know i've seen these headlights in blue before.

also, i'm going to vader your pics so i can post them to the thread in full size instead of thumbnails on post #62.

Last edited by jdmvette; 01-15-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:49 AM
DRKMATTER
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I'm following this thread VERY closely...If you start a new thread regarding the install and fit/finish please PM me the link to the thread or paste it in this thread. At this point I'm 80% sure I'll be in on a GP for this product.

-Jason
Old 01-15-2008, 09:32 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Lau
Ohhh...sorry sir!! The L5 ones and the SpekterWerkes look extremely similar....actually, didn't the guy who originally deisgend the Spekter ones go to L5 to make a massive improvement? That's what I have been hearing..but anywho It's prolly cause you got L5 rear quarter flares that I thought you got the same manufacturer headlights. Sorry!!
No worries Mr. Lau You are absolutely Correct about Scott Lewis leaving SW quite some time ago to go into business for himself & making improvements on the C5R lights that definetely needed some refinement. Happy Motoring

Quick Reply: C5R Style "DEPO" Projector Headlight Opinions?