Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:04 AM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Pros vs. Joe's

I did it myself. The tool looked like a blood pressure cuff... You just push it underneath the back side of the window almost half an inch in and squeeze the pump a few times and you have enough room to stick some type of poker tool right on in

A buddy at the firestation owns a tow company so he let me borrow it. Lucky me
Old 01-24-2008, 01:12 AM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,252 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Old 01-24-2008, 01:18 AM
Wethingtonvette8093
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxvalley
Fuel shutoff, GPS tracking and OnStar are good solutions if the bad guys can get access in 5 seconds.... there is one upside my .45ACP round travels 1750 ft per sec.....
Im with ya there !!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It may only take 3s to get it, but unless they flatbed it, the way I understand it starting the car is the real problem.. right?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:49 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I have a Vert so I'm resigned to the fact they can get into the car

If I was using it as a DD I'd be fitting a sat tracker and a kill switch
Old 01-24-2008, 02:49 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by maxvalley
Fuel shutoff, GPS tracking and OnStar are good solutions if the bad guys can get access in 5 seconds.... there is one upside my .45ACP round travels 1750 ft per sec.....
I know it gets called primitive, but that my man is my mode of thinking...

OnStar is probably the best bet. You can do what you have to in order to slow them down, but if they want it, they're going to get it. I remember back when the owner of Lowrider Magazine had his first signature ride. Everyone knew that truck and knew who it belonged too. He had an alarm on this thing that couldn't be defeated and keep it in his garage, which apparently had a sophisticated alarm on it to. What happened? They car-jacked him with a shot gun as he was leaving, get a load of this, a car show.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-24-2008 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:14 AM
WetteVette
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

All this great info on how to break into a C5 is just great stuff to be shared on an open forum. Although the pros aleady know how, we just made it easier for everyone else to break into our cars.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Mr. Lau
Pro

Originally Posted by WetteVette
All this great info on how to break into a C5 is just great stuff to be shared on an open forum. Although the pros aleady know how, we just made it easier for everyone else to break into our cars.
You know, or we could always look on the positive side that people here are presenting fellow members with good info on how to protect your Vette....

When I get mine first thing im going to do is not the tires, but the security. Putting everything I can to protect that beast.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rmbtowing
any towing company can be in your car in a matter of seconds and if the morons that drive tow trucks can do it anyone can

Im not sure i know how to respond to that.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

getting inside is one thing; starting the engine and driving off is another...
Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Richard Nogen
Instructor

I can have the entire car in 20 Seconds with my Repo truck.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:28 AM
WvCorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine is a repo guy, one nite he opened a blazer(to repo it) he started it up, began to drive it away and all of a sudden a 45 gets put to his head, the owner was sleeping in the back seat. After he stopped (to clean out his pants) he jumped out of the vehicle and the owner drove away. And he's still doing that job.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Slotcar
Racer

I am suprised nobody has mentioned LoJack. They accept the fact that a pro with a flatbed or repo truck can take a car in seconds but you can always track it with their system. Their latest gadget even calls you if the car is moved without the fob being in the car. It is common practice for thieves around Boston to park a stolen car for a day or so just to see if the cops show up. If it sets for 2 or 3 days they are in the clear.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Slotcar
I am suprised nobody has mentioned LoJack.
that's because of all the negatives and short-comings from relying on LoJack. There's web sites dedicated to this. I'm at work right now, but at home I probably still have links to those sites.
Not all it's cracked-up to be.

EDIT !!!

found some of it:

Quotes from others:

* "Lojack is a dinosaur. It works off of radio frequency and totally is dependent on the cops. The problem is that the clock to find your car does not start until you REPORT it stolen. If the car is stolen at midnight and you don't notice it missing until 8 am, the thief has eight hours to do whatever. Secondly, Lojack has limited coverage areas. If a car is stolen from Chicago and driven 60 miles north to Wisconsin you can say good bye. Lojack is not in Wisconsin presently."

* "I was at a restaurant with someone whose car was stolen from the lot while we were eating. After he called the police (this was in Houston) and mentioned he had LoJack, he was told that they only activate LoJack during regular business hours, Monday through Friday. "

* "The down side to Lojack is the fact that not every police car has the device. I work for Houston PD and i would guess only 10-20 % of the cars have the receivers. Couple that with the fact that not all of the cars are out there all the time. If my police car is a Lojack unit and I dont work that day it sits in the parking lot."

* "LoJack is only available in ceertain areas. If they drive anywhere outside those areas, your car is gone."

* "The gentleman came and installed my LoJack. I paid, he gave me the owners packet. After he left, I looked in the packet and noticed that the service isnt even offered in my county. They neglect to tell you that when you order ..

Anyway, after an angry call to LoJack and their sincere apologies, the tech is on his way back out to un-install and give me my check back.
I checked the LoJack website, and as for coverage they only list the state, no mention of counties. Then conveniently after the purchase, you see the actual coverage area."

* "Lojack uses radio frequencies and only certain police cars with special equipment can receive the signals. Therefore, if your local police department is equiped with lojack receivers, it is most likely not all police cars will have the equipment installed. Only a couple of units will have it on each shift. Not only that, the car with lojack has to be in range of a receiver unit. Even if it was in range, a police car will drive all around the city looking for it. What a waist of resource and police work. "
(agreed by the Police Chiefs themselves who eventually shout "pull the fuse")

* One thing about the LoJack is that you have to report it before the cops can even start looking. I live and work 30 minutes from Tijuana, and there have been several thefts in my structure at work. The LoJack won't help much is they're long gone."

* "The LoJack Early Warning System is an extra measure of protection, designed to contact the owner up to 5 different ways within 15-60 minutes after an unauthorized movement of the vehicle. The problem is, it falses (like all other alarms). When the Early Warning System activates, LoJack instructs the car owner to call it in immediately; and to not try and investigate anything themselves (so there's no eye witness to the fact the car is truly missing). It's rather silly when the police arrive, telling you your 'stolen' car is in your own driveway, engine still cold."
(after a couple of these false alarms, expect the Police Chief to instruct the city garage to "Pull the fuse on that thing")

* "LoJack is am implementation of a 1950's tracking tecnology with a great marketing plan but a lousy business plan, forcing cost reduced hardware and relying on assistance from police departments."

* "i have had 4 lojack systems installed in 4 different cars over the years. here is my story. never had a car stolen, never had to call lojack , and never had any problems with the device not working (i tested it often)
1. they work on (piece work). The more devices they install per day the more money they make
2. total install will take 15-30 minutes
3. make sure the antenna is fully expanded.

basically the installs will not be that long since they work on (piece work) and they do not have the time to spend 1-2 days putting the device in the most secure location.

installers tend to keep the antenna short and not expanded to their full 25."

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 01-24-2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:24 PM
sneakelman
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by dw99vette
hidden kill switch
That's called a trigger finger!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:51 PM
damilleniumboy
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My gt looked her car out when we went to the theather, and have you seen the little heavy gauge wired flag things they use to mark undergrownd cable, telephone, gas, etc. lines. those things do wonders.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:19 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rmbtowing
any towing company can be in your car in a matter of seconds and if the morons that drive tow trucks can do it anyone can
Be careful with your dispersions-Repo will tow your car, hide it for 3 months and sell it.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:41 PM
Storm Cloud
Racer

You need to get the security system on Mercedes in Saudi. Flames come out the bottom side of the car if entry is made while alarm is armed.

Here is what I found you can get in Africa..flamethrower!

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/africa/9812...e.thrower.car/

Here's another one but a spoof!

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne...2442728&size=o

Last edited by Storm Cloud; 01-24-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: How long does it take to slim jim a C5?