Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why the paint color didn't match your car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by max'svette
You guys ever hear of tri-coat?

White and Black are piece of cake.
I would respectfully disagree....

If by tri-coat you are referring to the multi stage paint with tint in the clear coat(such as millenium yellow and a few other premium paints),sure that's even more difficult.
But a fellow I know who paints and matches bumpers on cars all day long,that's all he does day in and day out, stated he has the worst time with white than most any other color.

That doesn't sound like a piece of cake to me
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 PM
2001 Rag Top
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If anyone's interested...

Automotive paint companies produce "variant" color formulas when they determine there is a need for one. An example would be, body shops would contact thier paint manfacturer for a possible variants because the prime formula is not a blendable match. There are even paint reps out there that ask body men to cut out licence plate size pieces of of damaged panels so the rep can send them to the paint manfacturers color lab to determine if there is a need for a variant. There are some color codes that end up with 2-6 or more variants.

These days, paint techs know that time is money and they are taught that in order to match the color, they need to blend the adjacent panel/s in order to trick the eye into telling the brain that the color is a perfect match.

If a customer demands that only one panel be refinished, the shop will usually charge extra because the tech needs extra time to produce a "spray out card", determine if the color is a "butt match" then tint the color as necessary. After all that, the tech needs to do another spray out card. Oh by the way, after shooting the base coat color on the card, he has to mix a batch of clearcoat and spray over the basecoat before determining color match. A few tools needed to determine color match is to bring the car and the spray out card outside in the sunlight. Proper color match is always determined in the sunlight. Another tool in the technicians tool box is a sun gun (similar to a hand held spotlight) that puts out a bright white light that is sunlight corrected so the tech doesnt have to determine color match out side. This procedure is repeated until it's a perfect match.

In my opnion, black is the easiest color to match and white is one of the most difficult colors to match... Then there's tri-coat. When tri-coat colors first came out, the procedure was to refinish the entire side of the car for color match. Not an easy job if only the fender was repaired or replaced. If any one is interested, tri-coat is a 3 product color that is: 1)base coat color 2) a tinted translucent or mica (pearl) mid-coat, then 3rd, the clearcoat, hence "tri-coat"
Old 02-07-2008, 07:35 AM
DRKMATTER
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

If I'm interpreting all these posts correctly...the BC/CC "U XXXX" code on the Service Parts Identification label located in the glove box would not be the correct code to tell my body man?

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/gmlabel.htm

Last edited by DRKMATTER; 02-07-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Ask him to have the paint store scan the predominant color of the car, then they will mix the new paint to that tint, and everything will match.
It's really that simple today!

john
Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 AM
vette dan
Vette Dan
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Black 'n Tan
Ask him to have the paint store scan the predominant color of the car, then they will mix the new paint to that tint, and everything will match.

john
I disagree. MSG had 7 diff. shades and it also depends on how the metal flake lays in the paint. My paint guy reshot the front bumper six times.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:58 AM
2001 Rag Top
Advanced

Originally Posted by dajael
If I'm interpreting all these posts correctly...the BC/CC "U XXXX" code on the Service Parts Identification label located in the glove box would not be the correct code to tell my body man?

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/gmlabel.htm

The "U XXXX" code is the paint code of the vehicle. This code is looked up in the color chip books and then if there is a alternate or variant formula, the paint manfacturer will post the variant colors in thier variant deck for the tech to decide color match.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 AM
2001 Rag Top
Advanced

Originally Posted by Black 'n Tan

john
Paint jobbers(paint stores) have tools to identify colors on vehicles. These computerized paint matching tools are called spectrophotometers. They provide the tech with a "blendable match formula". This means the tech must blend the adjcent panel/s for color match.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:08 AM
DRKMATTER
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by 2001 Rag Top
The "U XXXX" code is the paint code of the vehicle. This code is looked up in the color chip books and then if there is a alternate or variant formula, the paint manfacturer will post the variant colors in thier variant deck for the tech to decide color match.
Thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 AM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
That is why I went with BLACK there is no shade variences or pigment changes between any BLACK colors!

Plain and simple BLACK is BLACK!

I must admitt though that I wanted the CE blue color, that is an awesome color!

Thanks,Matt
It sure is a great color!
Old 02-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by vette dan
I disagree. MSG had 7 diff. shades and it also depends on how the metal flake lays in the paint. My paint guy reshot the front bumper six times.
A good painter can blend a finish. My friend is not a pro. (but has worked 27 years PT at the craft) He blended a tri coat on a mustang for me in Laser red metallic. Red metallic base, pearl, plus clear, from fender into a door. Completely indiscernible. He had the cars finish scanned before he bought the paint. But Steve is a hot sh*t, he did a '62 'vette that won the bloomington gold.

John
Old 02-09-2008, 08:36 AM
chucks
Drifting

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by vette dan

Exactly what I was told about my 04 MSG. Had my headlight bucket lid painted by two shops and it's close but still doesn't match. They each shot it several times. Guess i'll just live with it. Chuck

Quick Reply: This is why the paint color didn't match your car.