Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is why the paint color didn't match your car.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Korvette Kat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is why the paint color didn't match your car.

I bought a 2004 Coupe, Arctic White with a glass top. I bought a red top and took it to get it painted. This guy is really top notch and does alot of vettes and muscle cars. I ask him about painting my front tag because it has a slight blue tint to it and didn't look right. The color was just off a little.

We went into the shop and he pulled up acrtic white and it gave him 7 different color codes for the same paint. He then pulled the paint chips out of a file and we walked out to my car. One of the paint chips matched my tag and another of the chips matched my car. This guy does his own paint there at the shop so he can control this mass confusion.

This does not make sense to me. How does anyone get a car painted the right color?

So if you go to the average paint and body shop, he goes to a supplier with your paint code and comes back with 1 formula out of who knows how many for that color and hopes for the best, I guess.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:30 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by Korvette Kat
I bought a 2004 Coupe, Arctic White with a glass top. I bought a red top and took it to get it painted. This guy is really top notch and does alot of vettes and muscle cars. I ask him about painting my front tag because it has a slight blue tint to it and didn't look right. The color was just off a little.

We went into the shop and he pulled up acrtic white and it gave him 7 different color codes for the same paint. He then pulled the paint chips out of a file and we walked out to my car. One of the paint chips matched my tag and another of the chips matched my car. This guy does his own paint there at the shop so he can control this mass confusion.

This does not make sense to me. How does anyone get a car painted the right color?

So if you go to the average paint and body shop, he goes to a supplier with your paint code and comes back with 1 formula out of who knows how many for that color and hopes for the best, I guess.
You are correct.There are several "variances",and many shops do not take the time to shoot their own paint chips.
A high end shop will start with the basic paint code,and adjust from there,shooting different formulas.Once the chip formula is recorded,it is matched to the subject paint for a sound match.Which could include a milkier or muddier version,a bluer version and so on.

It is not as easy as it could or should be...Now if your painting the entire car,you of course would have no worries.Patching and blending are their own animal

Fwiw, I have heard white is the hardest color to match...
Old 02-05-2008, 12:52 AM
SebringSixSpeed
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my targa top painted they computer matched my paint to the roof bow. Turned out to be a perfect match to a 98 Isuzu silver?!? Who can tell? I would just suggest always getting a computer match. Silver is one of the hardest colors to match and mine came out absolutely perfect.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:59 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

black is also extremely hard to match.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:34 AM
drivestwin
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last time I went to get paint, they asked for both the paint code and the VIN....they must have some records of the paint variances from the factory or something....anyway the paint was a perfect match.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:43 AM
Mac11
Racer

Originally Posted by LT1driver

Saw a custom El Camino a year ago that was painted to perfection and looked GREAT in the shop. One sunny Saturday we rolled it outside and it turned dark chocolate brown. PPG admitted having tint problems and paid for the repaint.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 343 Likes on 282 Posts

That is why I went with BLACK there is no shade variences or pigment changes between any BLACK colors!

Plain and simple BLACK is BLACK!

I must admitt though that I wanted the CE blue color, that is an awesome color!

Thanks,Matt
Old 02-05-2008, 09:47 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

Thanks for the info, I guess I got luck with my after market hood we used the paint code and it came out great
Old 02-05-2008, 10:07 AM
Drewstein
Melting Slicks

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

When matching paint on a new hood for example, what do they do about the orange peel? Wouldn't it be obvious when such a big piece doesn't have orange peel in it?
Old 02-05-2008, 11:19 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,361 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by Drewstein
When matching paint on a new hood for example, what do they do about the orange peel? Wouldn't it be obvious when such a big piece doesn't have orange peel in it?

If the painter is really good, and uses the proper gun with the right air tip, he'll get the factory "orange peel".
Old 02-05-2008, 12:04 PM
SunDevil C5
Burning Brakes

The best place to match color is outside in the sun. Different types of lights will give a different hint of color. Incadescent compared to flourescent will almost be a totally different color. The sun is the only light that has the entire spectrum of color and only way to get a proper color match.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:05 PM
flynbya2
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
That is why I went with BLACK there is no shade variences or pigment changes between any BLACK colors!

Plain and simple BLACK is BLACK!

I must admitt though that I wanted the CE blue color, that is an awesome color!

Thanks,Matt
Sorry Matt,but that is not true at all.
I have black also,and there are just as many variances for black as many other colors

I know this from first hand experience
Old 02-05-2008, 01:34 PM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by flynbya2
I have black also,and there are just as many variances for black as many other colors

Me too!
Old 02-05-2008, 02:53 PM
jmc12
Team Owner

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by flynbya2

There are 3 differnt blacks for a 03 Z..
Old 02-06-2008, 05:59 PM
kww
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone know how many variations there are of 2000 Millennium yellow?
Old 02-06-2008, 06:06 PM
C5 KIDD
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by kww
Anyone know how many variations there are of 2000 Millennium yellow?
yellow is a whole new can of worms!!!

its not as much about matching the paint EXACT as it is to blend out the paint into the other panels. a good painted will get a good match just based on how he/she sprays and blends. blending is the only really RIGHT way to paint something on a vehicle.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
GRUNIE
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom/99
Me too!

I have seen some blacks that had a brownish tint or muddy look to them Paint is just be a PIA to match. Even some brand new cars right out of the factory can have mis-matched colors. Especially the plastic/urathane bumbers. A lot of time the bumpers are painted at one facility and shipped for final assembly at another plant that painted the body. The only way around this is to use the same batch of paint to do the entire car. If you notice, the bumbers or other plastic parts even fade differently in the sun.

Get notified of new replies

To This is why the paint color didn't match your car.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:15 PM
kww
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5 KIDD
yellow is a whole new can of worms!!!

its not as much about matching the paint EXACT as it is to blend out the paint into the other panels. a good painted will get a good match just based on how he/she sprays and blends. blending is the only really RIGHT way to paint something on a vehicle.
My paint guy is pretty good with the blend-did wonders for me last year and the year before-right on the money but this year he's having a hell of a time getting the correct paint. Went through 5 different cans-had the district rep take with him a stock quarter panel and even had one of their top guys blend the paint on the spot and they're still working on it.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 PM
travelingypsye
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by drivestwin
Last time I went to get paint, they asked for both the paint code and the VIN....they must have some records of the paint variances from the factory or something....anyway the paint was a perfect match.
Same thing here & my painter had to "custom" match it anyway. Once he did, he documented the formula for future needs like maggie hoods.......
Old 02-06-2008, 09:57 PM
max'svette
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by LT1driver
You guys ever hear of tri-coat?

White and Black are piece of cake.

Quick Reply: This is why the paint color didn't match your car.