Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Drive a C5 & Live at Home... OR Don't drive a C5, and have your own Apartment?
Drive a C5 & Live at Home (it's ok, because you're in college)
42.47%
Don't drive a C5, have your own place (because it's time to move out for good)
57.53%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Drive a C5 & Live at home... OR Don't Live at home, and don't drive a C5...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Originally Posted by quiCk paW 07
The cost of a mortgage would equal close to what I would have to pay if I owned 3 C5's.

Perhaps you're being sarcastic, but maybe it's just because I live in Maine, but you can't even buy a shack-sized house around here for less than $175,000... not even with today's lousy market. A decent home is going to run you between $200,000 - $275,000.
What, so all of this validates living at home rent free while you go out and buy a Corvette? Yup, time to grow up.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Sergio
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

drive a beater, stay with your parents, finish school, and save your money!! when you finish school decide what you want to do with it.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
Korvette Kat
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 02-07-2008, 10:36 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch, this rings home...although it has been some time since I was in college. Back when I was and was living at home I was seriously looking for a '67 BB coupe. My dad saw all the magazines and books piling up and he told me if I bought one to buy matching luggage. I started to correct him, "Dad, the Mercedes 300 SL had matching luggage, not Corve...oh, I see" as the lights came on. Although disappointed at the time, obviously in retrospect it was the right call, although I still don't have the '67. Unless you are living at home and paying realistic rent to help your parents out, and paying all your own expenses I don't think you should be driving a Corvette. I know my son wouldn't even be brazen enough to ask while he is living at home, in the Military and going to school full time.
Bruce
Old 02-07-2008, 10:48 PM
Quick 68
Racer

I live at home. I landed a pretty decent job a little over a year ago and bought my Z a few months ago. Im currently saving to buy a house and paying on the Corvette, because I refuse to waste money on an appartment. I figured I would get my toy while I can as I can't quite afford a house on my own and have no one to move out with. Was this the smartest move of my life?..........probably not but my parents and I get along and I'm having a damn good time with my Corvette. I can't tell you what to do, but the choice of staying at home to save money and have the Corvette is working out well for me.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:50 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

Get out and earn the whole thing on your own, I left at 18 and never looked back
Old 02-07-2008, 11:10 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

It depends on peoples situations and what thier goals are for the long term. A buddy of mine bought his C5 when he was in college (age 24). He graduated and found a decent paying job, had the chance to move out, but chose to live with his parents because he wanted to finish paying off his corvette and save up for a house. He does contribute monthly rent to his parents for letting him live there.

He moved out at age 35. He managed to down payment a significant sum of money for a $600,000 house in the Bay Area, paid off his C5 and is now living very happily with his girlfriend. And this is ALL thanks to living with his parents. It all depends on what your goals are.
Most guys just can't stand thier parents, so that is why they moved out and are in debt due to the high cost of living expense.

Make the decision base on what your situation are and do what is best for you.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:14 PM
PostShawn
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to live at home to afford the vette then you might not be able to afford the maintenance either. Maintenance isn't bad but it can get up there.

Have fun and enjoy your younger life. Wait and you will own it later. I'm only 26 and just got my vette last year. If I tried to get it earlier in life I wouldn't have had money to do anything else. I would have had a vette but no money to go anywhere with it. I'm glad I've had the experiences I did for the past few years and now I reached a point where I can continue having those fun experiences and have my vette. So I say maybe get something to hold you over for now and then get the vette later on. Living away from the parents is fun when you are starting out so go enjoy the fun.

Last edited by PostShawn; 02-08-2008 at 12:25 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 AM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Grow up

Time to move out and be an adult. Kids live at home and kids shouldn't drive CORVETTES!
Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,580 Likes on 14,126 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

For me, it would be move out and drive something else until I could afford the car on my own. I love my parents, but enjoy my independence too.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Young people today tend to live at home longer. To be honest, I don't think they're as self-sufficient as we were. When I was 18 years old I enlisted in the Marine Corps. By the time I was 19 years old I had been to Vietnam, wounded, and spent 6 months in the hospital. When I was 20 I was married, and by the time I turned 21 I was a police officer.

Today's generation seems to want everything now. I think we looked at things a little more realistically and didn't get the fancy cars or houses right off the bat.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:58 AM
gilbroyer
Instructor

Move out. No brainer
Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 AM
03whitecoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Vette will wait. Don't be a drain on your parents either. Although they may not say it, you're a big boy and it's time to cut the cord and be responsible for your own welfare.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 AM
crosstheline
Pro

Default Problem with this Generation

I'm 51 years young and and I would have never even would have had that thought when I was young. I just got my first vette (2004 C5 w/6,600 miles)and paid cash for it. My kid's wouldn't have even thought about this. Deal was, if you are in college, you stay for free, not in college? rent is not even an option. Get out, learn life, forge a future and become an asset to society. Tough love, this country needs more of it.

This generation (my kids) want what the parents have without making any of the sacrifices that we did. That is why this country is in the mess we are in with the mortgage crises and credit card debt. I see so many young people/couples buying homes and cars above their means and then eventually we the society end up paying for their mistakes in either increased insurance, taxes, interest etc.

Vette's don't pay bills.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:59 PM
quiCk paW 07
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DevilDog II
Young people today tend to live at home longer. To be honest, I don't think they're as self-sufficient as we were. When I was 18 years old I enlisted in the Marine Corps. By the time I was 19 years old I had been to Vietnam, wounded, and spent 6 months in the hospital. When I was 20 I was married, and by the time I turned 21 I was a police officer.

Today's generation seems to want everything now. I think we looked at things a little more realistically and didn't get the fancy cars or houses right off the bat.
You're comparing apples to oranges here.

First of all, today's economy is 100% different than it was 20, 30, 40 years ago. Minimum wage in the 60's could support a family of 3... Minimum wage TIMES 2 is Barely enough for 1 person to survive off of in today's economy. Inflation, Gas prices and everything else have sky-rocketed in the past 5 years. So don't just blame it on us and call us the young, selfish ****** just because people are living at home longer, because it's 10x harder to survive on your own without a degree, career job, etcc..

Like I said before, looking at the demographics in Maine, I make more money than probably 80% of those the same age as me that live in a 40 mile radius And I would barely be able to survive living on my own, even if i had a piece of turd for a car.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:08 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blackcoupe
The Vette will wait. Don't be a drain on your parents either. Although they may not say it, you're a big boy and it's time to cut the cord and be responsible for your own welfare.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:10 PM
quiCk paW 07
Intermediate

I'd like to see someone chime in and tell me what a typical rent is for a 2 bedroom apartment, with 1 bathroom, kitchen, living room.. standard stuff. Tell me what it costs where YOU live, and state what utilities it comes with, if any.

I'd really like to know where you can afford an apartment, a car, utilities, food, gas, insurance, college expenses, etc.. as easily as all of the old-timers on this thread are claiming, because i've been crunching the numbers for the past 2 years, and the only way I can figure out to be able to afford all of the above, would be to work 60-80 hours a week (while still going to school full-time) which is what I have been doing for the past year and a half.

Last edited by quiCk paW 07; 02-08-2008 at 11:12 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Drive a C5 & Live at home... OR Don't Live at home, and don't drive a C5...

Old 02-08-2008, 11:13 PM
01Z516SPD
Instructor

heres a new concept, make the decision yourself. thats what life and this country is all about.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:15 PM
quiCk paW 07
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 01Z516SPD
heres a new concept, make the decision yourself. thats what life and this country is all about.
Oh I have not a problem making decisions myself. I never asked anybody in this thread what I SHOULD do. I asked what YOU (meaning anyone who reads it) would do, in the same situation. I already know what i'm going to do, and have for a while. But I wanted to see what type of feedback I could get from Current corvette owners on the subject.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
WildTurkey
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I did stay with the parents for a short time (and it would have to be short), I would be saving my money for a place first (not a corvette). Once I got my place, then I would save like crazy for a vette.

Quick Reply: Drive a C5 & Live at home... OR Don't Live at home, and don't drive a C5...