Sponsored by:

They say the c5 is overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 09:49 AM
FOLDNTOP
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
I would not of posted that I have located one and she is a widow and my buddy is working with her to get it for me, oh he sells cars and she drove this like new Vette with 1100 miles to his lot, if he gets her to bite on the price he wants I will get me a sweeeeeet deal if not, there is always another deal out there for a C6, which is what I have been looking at for sometime when this came up, oh you are not negative, but this widow had to goto GM and have a key made she could not find them when her husband died and what my buddy will give her is already more than the dealership offered
The high road would be for the dealer friend to help the widow get fair value for her car rather than try to get her to bite...JMHO
Old 02-24-2008, 09:52 AM
DRIVE AMERICA
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The C-6 is not as different as it claims

IM often bothered when I hear or read that the C-6 has over 70% new parts. The truth is it doesn’t. What is never explained or discussed is that actual claim made by GM is that 70% of the part numbers are new and not necessarily the parts themselves. Daniel Pund explained in Car and Driver that they frequently go through this with part manufactures. A control arm for example may have a different part number than another but be exactly the same. The C-6 is a great car just the same but the claims that it is so different than the C-5 is over exaggerated. Pond went on to say that we will compromise and call the 2005 Corvette the “ C-5 and 11/16ths.” Just my two cents.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:23 AM
04 commemorative
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Lenrock
Just my .02. Maybe the c5 isnt overvalued, the c6 may be undervalued.
Maybe cause it's "FUGLY"
Old 02-24-2008, 11:26 AM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Too bad the C6 is just a C5.5

Don't listen to some of the C6 owners, most are first time Corvette owners who think the "latest is the greatest".

I think the C5 is the best looking Corvette for all times.

I'll admit, I did not like Vettes until the 80's and fell in love with the C5.

I Remember when the first C5 commercial came out, I wanted one. Now I have one.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I don't know about the C5 being overpriced! A buddy of mine just bought a 01 Black Vert with 35,000 miles for $23,500. I think that was a great buy.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:50 AM
Jaymer
Advanced

i must agree....not that our c5's are undervalued nor overpriced.....model, milage, condition, color, location will dictate the price. i started looking around for a car over 1 year ago. in 1 year i've seen vehicles depreciate alot, thats including benz, bmw's, lexus....etc. not to mention American vehicles, cadillac has taken a huge hit. i live in miami, the car market here is fast and the overturn is amazing, corvettes in miami are not cheap, not to say overpriced!.....anyways, i found her in Savannah, GA. '01 vert with 32,900k miles for $23,229k. a hairline scratch on the rear 1/4 panel would keep her from perfection(just like the pats losing the superbowl and keeping them from perfection). i got the best car $23,000 can get you. a neck breaker. awesome.....i love her.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:59 AM
blacksedan87
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There are some deals to be had on C5's. Obviously as time goes on - the real low mileage ultra clean used C5's are going to disappear. Look through the ads in Auto-Trader or Cars.com and you'll find C5's with under 10K listed for mid $30'S. An '05 C6 convertible with comparable mileage is only a couple of thousand more.

I think there will be a time in the very near future that a very low mileage C5 convertible will go for more than a low mileage C6 - why? You can still buy a new C6, you can't buy a new C5.

My buddy almost bought an '03 Anniversary convertible with 6500 miles for $29K, but the guy was originally asking mid $30's. The higher mileage cars are going for a lot less - but the cars will sell for what the market will support.

The C6 is a great car, it rides real nice, it has some electronic enhancements that C5 owners would like to have like the navigation, etc., but it was not the groundbreaking new design that the C5 was - it's really more of an enhancement. It utilizes the same architecture that was developed for the C5, hydro-formed frame rails, rear mounted transaxle, all aluminum engine, etc. So it's not totally new compared to the previous generation like the C5 was to the C4.

But as mentioned - it's still a Corvette and for that single reason alone, it's all good with me. This car has to evolve in order to survive, otherwise it will die.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:17 PM
71vetteinva
Racer

There are lots of great deals on C5 Corvettes out there. I had zero problems finding cars with 50k or fewer miles for $25k or less. Just check out Autotrader.com.

I bought a 2000 convertible on Monday with almost every option. Great looking paint with some only some minor wear on the interior and exterior. 38,800 miles. I even have the original window sticker. The MSRP for the car in 2000 was just over $50k. I paid $24k, which is below Blue Book.

I did a quick search on Auto Trader and just found about a dozen used C5 Corvettes with between 30 and 60k miles on them. None were over $25k.

Last edited by 71vetteinva; 02-24-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Well you're in the right place here C6...as the prices for some
of the C5 cars are just outrageous...some are 10K overpriced.
let me translate:

"the C6 is depreciating at a higher percentage rate than the C5... and we're jealous".
Old 02-24-2008, 01:39 PM
MrEldo
Instructor

I'm saving my loot for a C-5. Prefer a 'vert and intend to put as much cash down as I can, so needless to say I'm in no hurry to buy. I have been watching prices for '03 and '04 C-5s and IMO they are 5 to 7 grand too high.

Some dealers are trying to hold buyers up in the $34K-$36K range when I've seen '05 coupes in the $36.5 to $38K range. I'm now considering an '05 coupe because of the prices.

To all you dealers reading this...from a future buyer; You'll have to hold your hand on your azz a long time before you clip myself or any other informed buyer $30K plus for a late C-5. C-5 Corvettes may be fun cars and all the emtional BS that goes along with them... but after all is said and done they're only 4-5 year old used cars...and that's all myself or any other astute buyer will pay.

Last edited by MrEldo; 02-24-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MrEldo
I have been watching prices for '03 and '04 C-5s and IMO they are 3 to 5 grand too high.

Some dealers are trying to hold buyers up in the $34K-$36K range when I've seen '05 coupes in the $36.5 to $38K range. I'm now considering an '05 coupe because of the prices.

To all you dealers reading this...

I hear ya; but a car dealer doesn't make any profit from pricing a car too high that doesn't sell... and just sits there.

It's the market that sets prices on used cars... not the Kelly Blue Book as many think it does. If the dealers are indeed selling C5's at this so-called "3 to 5 grand too high" price... then they are not "overpriced"... that is what the market is bringing; and hence sets the cars value.

If no one has dared look at the facts (or they'd rather just be in denial about it)... there's a reason why a used C6 is only a few thousand more than a used C5. Depreciation is not equal between the two series.

For those of you that like the looks of the C6 enough to purchase one; it's a great market for you. Buy the C6, and relish in the good deal you got.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:50 PM
bjon2001
Cruising

Originally Posted by bestvettever
Hello Guys, I was looking through the C6 forum for no real reason other than I had not looked at it much before, and happened upon the above quote. Now I'm not wanting to start a pi**ing match with the c6 guys, because imho all vettes are enjoyable cars and it's just a matter of preference. But if the quote is somewhat factual that the c5's are more expensive relatively speaking, and the c5 sellers are asking and getting more money for their cars again relatively speaking than c6 owners, don't you think there has to be a reason, like maybe there is more demand for the c5, and more people like it better and want it more than a c6. Just a thought. Let the games begin
Luck to All
I believe we all want the highest retail for what we own. I have a 98, and yes I have seen some for 13k, but if you want lto buy mine I would give it up for 19,500.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:00 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Default It is worth what it is worth to someone

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I hear ya; but a car dealer doesn't make any profit from pricing a car too high that doesn't sell... and just sits there.

It's the market that sets prices on used cars... not the Kelly Blue Book as many think it does. If the dealers are indeed selling C5's at this so-called "3 to 5 grand too high" price... then they are not "overpriced"... that is what the market is bringing; and hence sets the cars value.

If no one has dared look at the facts (or they'd rather just be in denial about it)... there's a reason why a used C6 is only a few thousand more than a used C5. Depreciation is not equal between the two series.

For those of you that like the looks of the C6 enough to purchase one; it's a great market for you. Buy the C6, and relish in the good deal you got.

Hi Guys, I beleive Mike has it right. Something is worth what someone is willing to pay. In the case of the C5's they are bringing more on a relative basis , because people are willing to pay that price. If not they wouldn't be selling at that price. In the case of the c6 it is worth less on a relative basis,( compared to original selling price and years of depreciation,) because the people wanting it are not willing to pay more for it. At some point the depreciation factors and value may equal the c5's or may not. Time will tell, but for now we c5 owners have the value leader. As I said before ALL Vettes are really nice, fun, exciting cars to own and drive, so not bashing the c6's at all. But as far as values, and pricing goes, the c5 is in more demand at the time. I could have bought any vette I wanted, and I bought the 2003 AE Vert,(C5), because I found it the most appealing to me.And it seems that others are agreeing with that sentiment.
Luck To All
Old 02-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

But C5 is a really great looking car and yes would agree that the
C5 rear was especially good looking...however C6 is just a better
engineered car...
"Better Engineered Car"... sounds like someone trying to convince me that the not-so-pretty girl with the great personality is the smart choice. It may be the "logical" choice, but as history has proved time and again, it won't compete with a sexy rear end.

Last edited by Choreo; 02-24-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Chemdawg99
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,670 Likes on 852 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Choreo
"Better Engineered Car"... sounds like someone trying to convince me that the not-so-pretty girl with the great personality is the smart choice. It may be the "logical" choice, but as history has proved time and again, it won't compete with a sexy rear end.

One of the guys in my unit has an '08 C6 M6. I took him for a ride in my A4 (3.15 rear) '04 C5 Coupe and he likes my car better Go Figure
Old 02-24-2008, 02:32 PM
susko
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree with the c6 poster. For the most part, c5's are overpriced relative to c6's and usually sell when the price falls closer to KBB.
Old 02-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Kelly Blue Book and others... are not the set-price, they are to be used as guidelines only; or as a starting point.

All these used car pricing books work almost 100% on a depreciation formula. They don't give much emphasis on trends.

If starting today the 04 Z06 Z16 stopped depreciating - and actually appreciated each year - but only at the rate of inflation (hence holding it's value in dollars)... it may take these used car pricing books two years to catch on. And some flat-out won't sway from their "percentage per month" depreciation formulas - regardless of what's actually happenign in the real world.

Yvonne and I both own C5's that we are officially the original owners of; my 2002 Pewter Coupe has 20k miles and always garaged - never wrecked. Her 2003 AE vert has 6k miles and always garaged - never wrecked. If we ever decide to sell either, I will hold out until I find a buyer looking for exactly what we have for sale; doesn't matter if the car(s) sell in a week, or takes 6 months.
The market (at that particular time) will set the selling price for this specific car transaction.

Get notified of new replies

To They say the c5 is overpriced?

Old 02-24-2008, 02:59 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Default KBB not the definitive pricing answer

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
Kelly Blue Book and others... are not the set-price, they are to be used as guidelines only; or as a starting point.

All these used car pricing books work almost 100% on a depreciation formula. They don't give much emphasis on trends.

If starting today the 04 Z06 Z16 stopped depreciating - and actually appreciated each year - but only at the rate of inflation (hence holding it's value in dollars)... it may take these used car pricing books two years to catch on. And some flat-out won't sway from their "percentage per month" depreciation formulas - regardless of what's actually happenign in the real world.

Yvonne and I both own C5's that we are officially the original owners of; my 2002 Pewter Coupe has 20k miles and always garaged - never wrecked. Her 2003 AE vert has 6k miles and always garaged - never wrecked. If we ever decide to sell either, I will hold out until I find a buyer looking for exactly what we have for sale; doesn't matter if the car(s) sell in a week, or takes 6 months.
The market (at that particular time) will set the selling price for this specific car transaction.
HI, I agree again Mike, and I might further add that there are even vast differences between the "So Called " pricing guides,IE: Kelly Blue Book, NADA, Edmunds, etc. as to a given models price , using the same input for all. I personally find Edmunds .com, closer to reality that the others. Most Used Car Salespeople know that KBB is usually higher in price and NADA is usually the lowest. In fact I've run across some that will use NADA as a reference when taking a car in trade, thereby giving the seller a lowball price for his trade, and then whipping out the KBB when selling the same car, because it usually gives the car a bump in price over the NADA. Bottom line is The Market sets the Value, and there will be those that get a bad deal and those that get a better deal, but the overall market is the guide.
Luck To ALL
Old 02-24-2008, 03:21 PM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You can get a c5 for 15Gs nowadays.

your not a big dog anymore unless you have the C6Z or the upcoming ZR1
Old 02-24-2008, 03:50 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
I would not of posted that I have located one and she is a widow and my buddy is working with her to get it for me, oh he sells cars and she drove this like new Vette with 1100 miles to his lot, if he gets her to bite on the price he wants I will get me a sweeeeeet deal if not, there is always another deal out there for a C6, which is what I have been looking at for sometime when this came up, oh you are not negative, but this widow had to goto GM and have a key made she could not find them when her husband died and what my buddy will give her is already more than the dealership offered
That little dot a couple spaces to the right of the "M" key on the keyboard is the period key.

Quick Reply: They say the c5 is overpriced?