Sponsored by:

New TPS won't program, need HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 01:25 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default New TPS won't program, need HELP

Just had a set of polished aluminum Z06 wheels installed with Michelins. I just purchased new sensors to begin fresh. There were installed when I had the wheels balance. When I read the DIC on tire pressures, I got readings for 3 of the 4 tires. But they never change/fluxuate.

Well, I went through the reprograming sequence posted below:

1. Turn the ignition to ON.
2. Press the RESET button in order to clear any IPC display warning messages.

3. Press and release the OPTIONS button on the DIC to scroll through the display options until the IPC display is blank.

4. Press and hold the DIC RESET button for 3 seconds.
Notice: Refer to Body Control Module (BCM) Programming/RPO Configuration in Cautions and Notices.

5. Press the OPTIONS button again until the TIRE TRAINING message appears.

6. Press the RESET button until the IPC LEARN L FRONT TIRE message appears in order to begin
the programming sequence.

7. Install the J 41760 Tire Pressure Programming Tool over the left front valve stem.
8. The horn will sound, indicating the left front TPM sensor is programmed.
9. When the horn sounds, proceed to program the next TPM sensor in the following order as directed
by the IPC messages:
- LEARN R FRONT TIRE
- LEARN R REAR TIRE
- LEARN L REAR TIRE
Programming Cancellation
1. The programming mode will be cancelled if any of the following conditions are met: - The program mode is exited through the DIC.
- The ignition is turned to OFF.
- All four sensors have been programmed.
- The TPM system has been in the program mode for longer than 2 minutes and no sensors
have been learned.
2. If the program mode is cancelled with less than four codes stored, the receiver will only accept the codes programmed up to that point

I used a tool pick up magnet about the size of my pinky. Nothing happened. I programed it until I saw LEARN L FRONT TIRE. I placed the magnet next to the TPS front driver's side tire. Nothing, pulled it back nothing. Kept doing it until The FOB Training light came back on.

I came back yesterday with a larger magnet (3 X 3 X 1/2) we store this thing by sticking it to a file cabinet. It's difficult to get off. Well I followed the programing sequence again and nothing. I thought that the old tires were interfering. So I drove the vette around the block, still no response to programming.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:46 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I know this is maybe is too basic but did you drive the car a while before checking the readings?
Old 03-15-2008, 02:01 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

No, because the horn never honked when I placed the magnet next to the sensor.

The DIC gives me a current reading of 29 -28 PSI. But the tires I have on hte car are at 36 PSI. The pressures on the DIC are more in line with the original wheels and tires I changed out.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Ta-taaa
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know you tried a second magnet. It sounds to me that the magnet is still weak. I just had to reprogram mine.

I used a small speaker magnet. Three of the tires where easy. The last I almost gave up on.

Get a stronger magnet.

Move it around behind the valve stem. My one rim I must have tried this for 30 seconds or more.

Good Luck!~

Old 03-15-2008, 05:48 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sorry for your aggravation. I constantly advise people to train their sensors before they install them, but somehow the word just doesn't seem to get out. Assuming you have the correct sensors and the tire installer managed to not mess them all up upon installation, try again with another magnet. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:57 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I second (or forth?) the suggestion of trying another magnet. I had one sensor that wouldn't learn with my speaker magnet. I then used one of those extension magnets you use to pick up lost parts with and it worked.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

with trying a stronger magnet. How about an old car speaker?

The sensor should make the horn sound once it picks up the setting.
Old 03-16-2008, 07:34 AM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It took me using a REALLY large/strong magnet to program mine when I installed my new 505a's with new sensors!
Old 03-16-2008, 08:11 AM
ZO6 Lee
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I'm about to do this, so please keep us informed of how it goes. Good luck.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:14 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,274 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

It very well could be the magnet. Try another one. If it still won't program, see if your local GM dealer will do it for you - shouldn't cost much if anything at all.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Vega$Vette
Race Director

Received 2,110 Likes on 984 Posts

Originally Posted by wamara
Sorry for your aggravation. I constantly advise people to train their sensors before they install them, but somehow the word just doesn't seem to get out. Assuming you have the correct sensors and the tire installer managed to not mess them all up upon installation, try again with another magnet. Good luck.
I always train them before installing. Plus if you have a bad one you find out before.
Stronger magnet
Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 AM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try taking the wheel/tire off the vette and program it next to the drivers door( closer to the receiver).

Chuck
Old 03-28-2008, 09:29 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

cliff notes at bottom.

As some of you might remember I have been having some trouble programming my new tire pressure sensors (TPS). I originally tried a small extending tool pick up magnet. Didn't work. I asked for assistance at some varmit gatherings. Everyone agreed it should have worked. A fellow vette driver offered to use his programmer. Even made a quick trip by the K1 Karting varmit gtg (cool guy). But it didn't work. I borrowed a pick up magnet from a coworker. It must have been in the 150 pound range. Nothing. I was about to assume the TPS was a dud.

Well at the K1 Karting races Captcruz (another San Diego corvette guy) suggested going to Harbor Freight Tools and get the biggest lifting magnet they had. Today I took half a day off (been feeling tired). I went to Harbor Freight. At first all they had were 150 lbs. magnet. I was about to give up when the harbor freight guy remembered they had a magnet stuck to a vice. The vice was secured by a little screw. The magent was about twice the size of the others and threated to break the display vice mount when we tried to pull it off. So I bought it and drove up to Vista point on east I-8. just before the 79 turn off.

I get out and set up the TPS for programming ( I know it by heart now). Put the magnet up to the sensor. The magent was so strong it stuck to the rotor and took some pull to get it off. Still no programming beep. I tried it again. Then again. Then I had to start all over again. First attempt, nothing. Second attempt nothing. I was about to believe the TPS was faulty and I would have to go to all the trouble of getting it replaced . I was about to give up on the third try, when the horn beeped. I practically jumped for joy.

Went around to the rest of the sensors. They all programmed within a few seconds. The readings are accurate. The problem has been resolved.

Cliff notes: Had trouble programming new TPS sensors. Used a bigger magnet. They are now programmed.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:39 PM
IrishMac
Moderator Emeritus

Gone, but not Forgotten
Cruise-In 5, 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09

Glad you got your problem solved, but I'm still puzzled why you would need such a powerful magnet.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:12 PM
phils C5 vette
Le Mans Master

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I searched several threads to program my TPS. I bought them used and needed to see if they worked so I can send them off with confidence for new batteries.

The worked, and they will be in the mail tomorrow.

Many of the other threads I found the links didnt work, or were missing a step

Get notified of new replies

To New TPS won't program, need HELP

Quick Reply: New TPS won't program, need HELP