[Z06] New Z06 owner, first post

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 08:20 PM
850tgul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Z06 owner, first post

Hey Guys,
I've been roaming this board for few months now and just picked up my first Vette, my first American car for that matter, just 3 weeks ago. A beautiful 03 torch red Z06 with 11K miles and I love it! I've had pretty quick German cars before, but this thing is just plain mean on another level. Anyway, I'm one to never leave well enough alone and although the car is awesome in just about every way, I would like a louder exhaust. Now, I have done some research and have seen all the usual mods, catbacks, etc. done to these cars. My criteria is this; I don't want to deal with the hassle of emissions, I live in Mass and they are very strict here, so headers and/or cats deleted are out. I also can't justify $700-1000 for a catback system. I've have good luck with custom jobs in the past so I had a few ideas that I have not seen done before in my research, although I'm sure they have been. Anyway, I was thinking of having something similar to some of the straight pipe systems fabbed up. When I presented this idea to the exhaust guy I explained I wanted something I could take on and off myself when it came time for emissions and he suggested putting flanges right before the mufflers and then fabbing up some pipes with their own flanges to go in their place. So I would essentially be able to remove the mufflers and bolt in straight pipes that would take their place and run to the back of the car. I would put some tips on them and be done with it. I know this is similar to the bypass mod, but I think it would be a little cleaner and maybe a little louder as all the flow would go through the straight pipes and none through the mufflers at all. My other concern is sound quality and for this I was thinking of putting in an x pipe, but again the prices seem a little steep for what you get. Has anyone ever put one of those generic x pipes like this, onto the stock h pipe right where the H section is? It seems to me it would be much cheaper and essentially be the same thing. Any input from you guys would be much appreciated. Thanks for reading guys and it's great to finally have a vette. I already noticed the comradery among other vette owners.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Iwant1too
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me be the 1st to welcome you. If you've been lurking around for a while you probably already know this forum is addicting. Start the modding and it is all over for you. How about some pics, though? Enjoy.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:29 PM
850tgul
Intermediate

Thanks man! I'm already addicting to modding, so nothing new for me there. I had a stage 2 01 S4 and a DINAN M Roadster so, like I said, I can never leave well enough alone. I actaully just did the zip tie mod today. I haven't had the chance to do my own thorough detail yet, but when I do you can bet there will be pictures. The car's in great shape, just some swirl marks from the previous owner/dealership not knowing how to wash a car properly. Thanks
Old 06-21-2008, 10:56 PM
heavymetals
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome!

Mod the crap out of it.
Old 06-21-2008, 11:03 PM
JC.LUCIFA
Advanced

welcome. I also made the move from German cars to the z06.

Like you, my cars weren't slow by any means. 3 2000 Audi S4s later (stg2+, stage3, stage3), the z06 does not disappoint. I found a used Borla Stinger on eBay for $490. Not too bad. But what I've learned is that, when it comes to fast & fun, the only thing holding me back is me, the driver.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:07 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

Welcome!!!
Old 06-22-2008, 01:22 PM
Z28Johnny
Pro

Check out this link to a video of my exhaust. It is what you said you wanted to do. It is straight piped after the cats with Borla tips. There is also an after market x pipe. It sounds good all of the time

http://s276.photobucket.com/albums/k...urrent=007.flv
Old 06-22-2008, 01:28 PM
850tgul
Intermediate

Thanks for the warm welcome guys! After researching a little bit more I realized that I would need titanium pipe/flanges to do what I planned. I don't think the exhaust guy realized that either. Also, it seems straight pipes alone make the car idle like a tractor so I am having second thoughts abou that setup now. Sound quality is more important to me than just sound volume. So I am now hoping to trade my stock Ti plus cash for a used cat back, stingers hopefully. I put up a listing in the classifieds about it. Thanks again
Old 06-22-2008, 01:49 PM
Z28Johnny
Pro

Did you listen to the clip? You really think the idle sounds like a tractor? I don't know what farm you grew up on, but I've never heard a tractor purr like that.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:55 PM
850tgul
Intermediate

No, I actually posted before I had a chance to listen to your setup. Sounds good, I think probably because you have an x pipe. Most of the comments about the tractor sound were from guys who probably stuck with the stock H pipe. I am actually open to a set of straight pipes and an x pipe, but a catback would probably be easier and it would have mufflers on it so I wouldn't have to swap systems in and out every time I needed a sticker. But yours does sound nice with that x pipe. Which x pipe is it?
Old 06-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Z28Johnny
Pro

I'm not sure what brand, I bought it this way. How picky are they where you live? I passed inspection, without "knowing" anybody. With newer cars, the computer usually does most of the inspection. Odds are I think you would pass w/o the mufflers.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:09 PM
850tgul
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z28Johnny
How picky are they where you live?
Massachusetts....very picky. If the right deal comes along, I may still pull the trigger on this setup though.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:15 PM
z06 hellcat
Melting Slicks

WELCOME!
Old 06-22-2008, 02:23 PM
slacker1201
Lifetime NCM Member #2497
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Cruise-In 9-10-11-12 Veteran

Welcome aboard
Old 06-22-2008, 08:51 PM
USAFPILOT
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep the titanium exhaust...it is lighter...get an X pipe and headers and run them to the factory titanium system. You'll like the sound.

Get notified of new replies

To New Z06 owner, first post

Quick Reply: [Z06] New Z06 owner, first post