Sponsored by:

Allstate has put me in a bad position

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,000 Likes on 5,368 Posts

Originally Posted by s ladd
I chose not to use my insurance since she supposedly had adequate coverage through allstate. If she had not had enough coverage and I had known that in the beginning I would have gladly called Geico and had this resolved much more quickly than it is not. But the truth is that Allstate doesn't care about me anymore than they care about their own insured party. I guess that's just part of being an insurance company though. You got to be willing to **** on your customers in order to keep the business running.
Your first mistake is in considering yourself a customer of AllState. You are not their customer the person who hit you is their customer and they are taking care of her. You have insurance through GEICO and you should let them help you as you are their Customer. They are your big guns and you should use them that way.

Bill
Old 07-04-2008, 05:36 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by FNG
im in nevada, so it might be different here. But, you have up to 3 years to file a claim. call your agent and roll the dice. allstate will repair a car at a higher percentage of value then most if not all. i work in a body shop and deal with these maggots every day. if allstate was going to total it, chances are better than even geico will too. besides, you have some leverage with them, you pay their bills. in nevada, the owner can demand a total, but you have to pay the difference of the repair cost and value of the car. if you do file a claim and its a total, geico will pay the claim and go after allstate. down side is you lose your deductible, which eventually you will get back. anyway, good luck. i see this kind of thing all the time. truly sucks. regards, j.d.
we need to survey all the body shops and ask what insurance companies are better to work with. you guys like any other insurance companies better than the others?
Old 07-04-2008, 05:36 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Your first mistake is in considering yourself a customer of AllState. You are not their customer the person who hit you is their customer and they are taking care of her. You have insurance through GEICO and you should let them help you as you are their Customer. They are your big guns and you should use them that way.

Bill
Old 07-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

a) Allstate doesn't care about me anymore than they care about their own insured party.

b) I guess that's just part of being an insurance company though. You got to be willing to **** on your customers in order to keep the business running.

Really not that hard to understand.

a) Allstate never cared about you to begin with, you are not their customer.

b) It looks like they are taking care of their customer and themselves very well. Your insurance company is the one that is supposed to be taking care of you. Allstate is not your insurance company.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:59 PM
mcgilles
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't blame you for wanting to keep your own insurance company out of it.

a couple of years ago when I was on my parents insurance I was hit by a young driver who was playing with his stereo instead of watching the road. I was completely stopped, had my lights and singnals on waiting to make a turn. so I wasn't doing a thing wrong, not even "5 over" other driver was cited, his insurance paid (but they were very difficult about it. I had to fight them not total the car, I didn't want to loose it, and the damage wasnt' bad at all)
well recently when I got on my own insurance policy for the first time I didn't report that accident while getting my quote...obviously, because I was not at fault. well they did their research and found it somehow, said I had to report it as a not at fault accident (no mistake here, they knew it was not my fault) and the premium they quoted me went up $125 for 6 months! I was furious, I did nothing wrong! it was not my fault! their insurance paid! but they would not help me at all. I searched for other companies, but they were all more expensive for me than the first one I was looking at (progressive).
Old 07-04-2008, 07:14 PM
s ladd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcgilles
I don't blame you for wanting to keep your own insurance company out of it.

a couple of years ago when I was on my parents insurance I was hit by a young driver who was playing with his stereo instead of watching the road. I was completely stopped, had my lights and singnals on waiting to make a turn. so I wasn't doing a thing wrong, not even "5 over" other driver was cited, his insurance paid (but they were very difficult about it. I had to fight them not total the car, I didn't want to loose it, and the damage wasnt' bad at all)
well recently when I got on my own insurance policy for the first time I didn't report that accident while getting my quote...obviously, because I was not at fault. well they did their research and found it somehow, said I had to report it as a not at fault accident (no mistake here, they knew it was not my fault) and the premium they quoted me went up $125 for 6 months! I was furious, I did nothing wrong! it was not my fault! their insurance paid! but they would not help me at all. I searched for other companies, but they were all more expensive for me than the first one I was looking at (progressive).
You see, this is exactly what I want to avoid. Some stupid bitch runs a redlight and I will end up paying for it in the long run.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:21 PM
tngerman1999
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry about all the BS with Allstate but ALL insurance are the same! The people to blame here are the LAW makers who require only 10K of insurance coverages!!! How many vehicles on the road today are worth under 10K? NOT MANY.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:13 AM
FNG
Instructor

Originally Posted by rustyguns
we need to survey all the body shops and ask what insurance companies are better to work with. you guys like any other insurance companies better than the others?
well Rusty, while i wont recommend any of them, i will say that my company is state farm. i filed a claim a few years back after someone squirted acid all over the side of my lt4. next day the adjuster was out. at the time, i told the guy my car was a peach, still is, and i didnt want any paint lines or blends on the panels. no prob. had a check in the mail 3 days later, the adjuster wrote a fair sheet. no complaints.

ill give you an example of allstate. we had a c5 towed to the shop that was a mess. guy lost control of it after putting a bunch of go fast goodies on it and kissed a wall at speed. car was crashed front and rear. i took one look at it and thought TOTAL. allstate came out, was a few HUNDRED, not thousands, away from diggin a hole for it. they said fix it. i said no, tow it out of here. im not fixing anything i wouldnt put my mother in after the repairs. they towed it to a local chevy dealer. chevy dealer said its a total, gee, who'd a thunk it. anyway, after a few weeks of towing the car all over town, they finally totaled the car. meanwhile, the guys rental was up, and he had to pay over a month of rental out of his pocket. yea, tell me all about the "good hands" people. good luck man, hope you come out ok. regards, j.d.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Ettev01
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I guess my confusion lies with you dealing directly with someone else's insurance. I'm with AMICA, great by the way, and any time I'd had to file a claim for any reason, I go through them and they fight my battles for me.

It's always been my understanding that's why I have insurance. If someone else causes me damage, they do the work.

Serveral years ago I was hit by an uninsured motorist in my Jeep Wrangler. She didn't have insurance. AMICA fixed my jeep, didn't effect my rates because it was her fault and I paid my deductable. 4 years later, this uninsured driver was trying to get insurance for her dental practice ( she was in dental school at the time of the accident) well, until she could be bonded, she had a claim put in on her by AMICA for hitting my jeep. It may have taken a few years but AMICA never gave up. I recieved my deductable back, they received their cost and I really didn't have to do anything.

Sometimes I feel I might pay a bit more with AMICA but honestly, they have always been there when I've needed them and took care of me.

Why isn't your insurance doing the work for you?
Old 07-05-2008, 09:32 AM
lp2k
Racer

i hate insurance companies, i really do

and i have allstate in florida, im gonna take a 2nd look at it comes monday 9am
Old 07-05-2008, 11:37 AM
s ladd
Racer

I have heard Amica is great however I heard they only insure people that have a perfect driving record.. I have a few speeding tickets

I have gotten into a few accidents in the past 10 years and none have been my fault. I have dealt directly with the other persons insurance every time and have never had a problem. But then again, none of my previous accidents were anywhere close to this bad or costly.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Contact the state insurance commissioner (whatever it is called in your state) and file a compliant.

Those people are the only one's insurance companies will listen to.

Good luck with this.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:10 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ettev01
Why isn't your insurance doing the work for you?
Generally one must file with their insurance co. first, which requires that one pay their deductible. However, after your insurance company recovers the funds from the liable company, you'll get your deductible back.

You are right you have a lot more power when you are dealing with your own company rather than another person's insurance carrier.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:26 PM
mike1944
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 13 Posts

I have heard Amica is great however I heard they only insure people that have a perfect driving record.. I have a few speeding tickets
When I worked for IBM Consulting I went out on a sales call to an insurance customer. I was going thru the usual sales chitchat, asking the IT guy about his company, etc.

He said his company specializes in insuring the scum of the earth drivers nobody else will touch at sky high rates.

A technical question came up and we got one of my tech guys on the speakerphone. I told him we were at company XYZ. First thing out of his mouth was..."oh yeah, that's my insurance company."
Old 07-05-2008, 12:32 PM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

Ive heard that commercial! !

"You are in good hands with Allstate"
Old 07-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,595 Likes on 14,139 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hope somehow you can get a fair settlement from Allstate. Let us know how this one turns out.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I used to be a GEICO adjuster... everyone hates insurance companies. For every good story there are 10 folks waiting to tell you how they got screwed.

In my opinion Allstates scew up here was not checking policy limits before proceeding with your claim. That said, they're doing nothing wrong. Allstate only owes the policy max. After that YOUR underinsured motorist coverage kicks in and pays the balance.

Then your carrier subbrogates after the person who hit you. Eventually they take that person to court and garnish their wages until the amount is paid off.

In the end the person who hit you took the risk of being underinsured. They totalled a $35k car and are on the hook for it one way or another. Being that you were not at fault this will not affect your rates. It will be listed as a not at fault incident.

Call your carrier and get them in on the claim.

Get notified of new replies

To Allstate has put me in a bad position

Old 07-05-2008, 05:02 PM
s ladd
Racer

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I used to be a GEICO adjuster... everyone hates insurance companies. For every good story there are 10 folks waiting to tell you how they got screwed.

In my opinion Allstates scew up here was not checking policy limits before proceeding with your claim. That said, they're doing nothing wrong. Allstate only owes the policy max. After that YOUR underinsured motorist coverage kicks in and pays the balance.

Then your carrier subbrogates after the person who hit you. Eventually they take that person to court and garnish their wages until the amount is paid off.

In the end the person who hit you took the risk of being underinsured. They totalled a $35k car and are on the hook for it one way or another. Being that you were not at fault this will not affect your rates. It will be listed as a not at fault incident.

Call your carrier and get them in on the claim.
I would almost agree with you, however I feel like they tricked me into signing that power of attorney over to them. I signed that under the assumption they were going to pay $34.9k for my car. That is what they told me at the time. Now one week after I have signed the car over to them they tell me I am not going to get the 34.9k they spoke of. That sounds an awful lot like fraud to me. Getting me to sign over the title to them and then stating that they are not going to pay the whole amount. If its not fraud, I would like to know what the hell it is. Oh, ok.. Maybe its theft by deception... It doesn't matter how you spell it, they were wrong. If they told me in the beginning that this girl was under insured, I would have followed up with my insurance and had this taken care of already. But from the beginning they have made it sound like everything was ok. Now, 5 weeks later, I see everything is not ok.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ Oh I agree with you there... they ****ed up somewhere along the line.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I would almost agree with you, however I feel like they tricked me into signing that power of attorney over to them. I signed that under the assumption they were going to pay $34.9k for my car. That is what they told me at the time. Now one week after I have signed the car over to them they tell me I am not going to get the 34.9k they spoke of. That sounds an awful lot like fraud to me. Getting me to sign over the title to them and then stating that they are not going to pay the whole amount. If its not fraud, I would like to know what the hell it is. Oh, ok.. Maybe its theft by deception... It doesn't matter how you spell it, they were wrong. If they told me in the beginning that this girl was under insured, I would have followed up with my insurance and had this taken care of already. But from the beginning they have made it sound like everything was ok. Now, 5 weeks later, I see everything is not ok.

Looks like the bottom line is this, I hope you have the 34K in writing, You should of before signing anything.

Quick Reply: Allstate has put me in a bad position