Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

Originally Posted by BOTYNV1
Just wrong, and no I'm not suprised
Old 07-04-2008, 10:43 AM
BlueDream
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had trouble on a claim with Allstate in Florida (the other party had Allstate and I had State Farm). After getting the run around from Allstate (even though the officer cited the other driver at the scene, Allstate found it necessary to do their own "investigation' from an office 100 miles away) I finally dropped that claim and filed against my insurance. Had to fight them on the value of the car and disagreed with it being totaled, I finally got them to 2.5 times the value they originally offered.

Had to pay my deductible and part of the rental car coverage but the way the insurance worked was that any amount they collected from Allstate would first be used to completely reimburse me. I had a check for all of my out-of-pocket expenses within a month.

I'd be willing to bet that your insurance company would consider it totaled too (they don't just look at the repair estimate but also take into consideration the potential additional damage once they get into the repair).

Good luck with all of it!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by DefenderC5
Maybe I'm missing something, but if the other person's insurance doesn't cover the costs... doesn't YOUR insurance cover the rest of your expenses? I mean, isn't that why you buy insurance in the first place?

We are definitely not getting the entire story here.
Old 07-04-2008, 11:10 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Allstate has had a bad rep for this kind of crap as far back as I can remember and that is between 40 and 50 years!!! They have gotten away with this stuff for 50 years I don't think they are going to change any time soon!!! The pool of potential customers is unlimited in their eyes. Loose one,there's dozens to take their place,,,Just hire a slick spokesman and a slick promotions company to make more commercials!!
Old 07-04-2008, 11:12 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

the "new" Allstate hands:

Old 07-04-2008, 02:22 PM
s ladd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
We are definitely not getting the entire story here.

You are getting the whole story alright. I have Geico and I could turn it into them. And IF... *IF* I had known this person was underinsured about 4 weeks ago I would have taken a different route on this whole claim. I had to press Allstate pretty hard to get it totaled. They wanted to repair the car. I do not want to turn it into my insurance because even though it shouldn't raise my rates, it will be noted on my account that there was an accident.

At this point I would rather let Allstate pay GMAC the whole 25k for the car, then I will keep the car and either sell it at an auction myself or part it out. I should be able to get over 10k for parts from a low mileage C5Z. The car is close to stock and only had 44k miles on it. If I did that it would get paid off also. I owe right at 35k so that

It just more pisses me off that Allstate has been jacking me around for almost 5 weeks now. They are supposed to verify insurance coverage before ever working a claim. So they should have known how much money they had to work with before even offering me 34.9k for my car.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:36 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

There is where you went wrong. You should always inform your insurance company if you need insurance coverage, whether you are using your policy or another persons. You are always going to have the accident on your record whether or not you reported it to insurance.

I feel for you but you did try to skirt the system a bit, hopefully al it costs you is time.

You company likely would have paid you and recouped what they could from the other parties insurance.

Call your agent and talk to them about it, they know what to do much better than us.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:44 PM
s ladd
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is where you went wrong. You should always inform your insurance company if you need insurance coverage, whether you are using your policy or another persons. You are always going to have the accident on your record whether or not you reported it to insurance.

I feel for you but you did try to skirt the system a bit, hopefully al it costs you is time.

You company likely would have paid you and recouped what they could from the other parties insurance.

Call your agent and talk to them about it, they know what to do much better than us.

I don't see how I tried to skirt the system. I chose not to use my insurance since she supposedly had adequate coverage through allstate. If she had not had enough coverage and I had known that in the beginning I would have gladly called Geico and had this resolved much more quickly than it is not. But the truth is that Allstate doesn't care about me anymore than they care about their own insured party. I guess that's just part of being an insurance company though. You got to be willing to **** on your customers in order to keep the business running.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:50 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZO6 Lee
I have a different story about Allstate. After being with them for 20 years I had a serious (large) claim on a rental property. They took over a month to assess the damage and then denied the claim. I lost the income for that period and had to fix the damage myself. So I cancelled the insurance with Allstate. I never received a call, not from the agent, not from the company, to find out why I was cancelling. Agents will tell you that staying with a company gives you some credits when something happens. Not in Allstate's case.
Sorry about your difficulties s ladd. Call the regulatory agencies and whoever else you can think of. And if the first quote was in writing sue Allstate in court.
Good luck.
people have to understand there is a reason when a company has cheaper rates
Old 07-04-2008, 02:52 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by itzza427
Allstate has had a bad rep for this kind of crap as far back as I can remember and that is between 40 and 50 years!!! They have gotten away with this stuff for 50 years I don't think they are going to change any time soon!!! The pool of potential customers is unlimited in their eyes. Loose one,there's dozens to take their place,,,Just hire a slick spokesman and a slick promotions company to make more commercials!!
A few years ago, we were waiting to fuel up at a out-of-town gas station that was very crowded at the time. Some guy in a pickup started backing up from a pump (instead of waiting for the car in front of him to pull away) when he decided to try maneuver around the mass of cars waiting to get to the pumps. All of a sudden, he turned his wheel and plowed into our front bumper, creating a huge dent in it.

Unfortunately for us, his insurance company was Allstate. The brains at that company desided that we were partially at fault (keep in mind that we were sitting in a stationary vehicle) and that Allstate would cover only 80% of the damages.

After waiting one year for the case to go to arbitration, the judge told Allstate that they were 100% responsible. My Mercury insurance contact person could not believe that Allstate could possibly conclude that we were partially at fault!

In other news, I was just recently talking to a couple whose guest house was burned to the ground in Ramona, CA. They told me that while their insurance company settled the clain, quickly, they have talked to several Allstate-insured folks who went through heck to try to get money out of them.

Rule-of-thumb: Stay away from Allstate!

Last edited by Dave68; 07-04-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:53 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

true dosen't matter if you had to use your ins companies money or the other guys insurance companies money. it goes against your ins record no matter what. they are all in cohoots together!
Old 07-04-2008, 03:05 PM
C5R USA
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Ideals are peaceful...History is violent...St.Charles, MO.
Received 441 Likes on 228 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C5 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by DefenderC5
Maybe I'm missing something, but if the other person's insurance doesn't cover the costs... doesn't YOUR insurance cover the rest of your expenses? I mean, isn't that why you buy insurance in the first place?

Be sure to change carriers when this is all over.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:10 PM
INaband
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Originally Posted by ZO6 Lee
I have a different story about Allstate. After being with them for 20 years I had a serious (large) claim on a rental property. They took over a month to assess the damage and then denied the claim. I lost the income for that period and had to fix the damage myself. So I cancelled the insurance with Allstate. I never received a call, not from the agent, not from the company, to find out why I was cancelling. Agents will tell you that staying with a company gives you some credits when something happens. Not in Allstate's case.
Sorry about your difficulties s ladd. Call the regulatory agencies and whoever else you can think of. And if the first quote was in writing sue Allstate in court.
Good luck.
I was w/ them for 30 years, buy I switched..
heard to many stories lately, and none any positive..
Old 07-04-2008, 03:29 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

This is one reason why i always take GAP insurance on all my vehicles that i purchase and have a loan for. You get hosed with the value and pay off every time.

What is Gap insurance?

Gap insurance will insure one for the difference between what one would owe on a vehicle and what an insurance company says it's worth. This insurance is a must for someone who is considering purchasing a new vehicle since a new vehicle depreciates right after it is driven off the dealer's lot.

Good luck and I hope everything goes in your favor
Old 07-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Suprfun
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Allstate

Do a Google search on "Allstate doesn't pay" the results will scare you! Their all on your side when they're selling you the coverage but it's a different story when you turn in a claim! Good luck!
Old 07-04-2008, 04:14 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,262 Likes on 821 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Always get everything in writing esp. concerning insurance co.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:49 PM
C5nKY
Pro

Sounds like something Progessive Ins. would do.

I hope it all turns out well for you!!

Get notified of new replies

To Allstate has put me in a bad position

Old 07-04-2008, 04:58 PM
mike1944
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 13 Posts

I learned about insurance companies from a townhouse I had in San Diego. Large complex. Pretty new, they found some serious building flaws.

The insurance company kept telling us not to worry, they would take care of us. What they did was draw out the process for several years. There was always one more little study they had to make, one more thing to check.

Meanwhile people couldn't sell and our beautiful complex started to turn into rental center for college kids.

We finally had to hire a nasty lawyer with experience in this litigation. He filed suit and two years later, the day the trial was supposed to start, they settled. Total of 6 years.

I learned insurance companies are only your friend when you are paying them. When you become a problem you are turned over to people who are experts at minimizing payout. It's all about the money.

Last edited by mike1944; 07-04-2008 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:05 PM
ZO6 Lee
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by rustyguns
people have to understand there is a reason when a company has cheaper rates
FYI: Allstae was giving me discounts and good driver credits so I was remiss in NOT checking their rates with other companies. They were not the cheapest. I am now with METLIFE and they are cheaper.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:11 PM
FNG
Instructor

im in nevada, so it might be different here. But, you have up to 3 years to file a claim. call your agent and roll the dice. allstate will repair a car at a higher percentage of value then most if not all. i work in a body shop and deal with these maggots every day. if allstate was going to total it, chances are better than even geico will too. besides, you have some leverage with them, you pay their bills. in nevada, the owner can demand a total, but you have to pay the difference of the repair cost and value of the car. if you do file a claim and its a total, geico will pay the claim and go after allstate. down side is you lose your deductible, which eventually you will get back. anyway, good luck. i see this kind of thing all the time. truly sucks. regards, j.d.

Quick Reply: Allstate has put me in a bad position