Sponsored by:

Selling a 'Vette in Germany

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Sarjik
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a 'Vette in Germany

Hiya - dunno if anyone out there has experience with this, but it seems a reasonable place to ask.

I'm military, and just got transferred to Germany. The Army will only ship one car to Europe for us and due to the fact that I have a wife and two kids, it had to be the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

BUT... if I want to cough up the cash ($1600) I can ship another car. Which would be, of course, my mint condition 2002 Electron Blue convertible, with 9500 miles and every option.

Yes, yes, I know what a hoot it would be to face off against 911s on the Autobahn, but what I'd really like to know is whether I can sell it on the German market when it's time to come home in three years? With the dollar/euro exchange rate, it would be a big win, and most importantly it would convince household-6 (the wife) that it makes financial good sense... as opposed to me just wanting my toy to come along for the ride.

Anybody have any knowledge of gray marketing a US-spec Corvette in Europe? Mechanical or other modifications needed? Legal hurdles?

All assistance appreciated!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:55 PM
saly0827
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check with the base/post legal office.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:57 PM
0euro@EFIAlchemy.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarjik
Hiya - dunno if anyone out there has experience with this, but it seems a reasonable place to ask.

I'm military, and just got transferred to Germany. The Army will only ship one car to Europe for us and due to the fact that I have a wife and two kids, it had to be the Wagon Queen Family Truckster.

BUT... if I want to cough up the cash ($1600) I can ship another car. Which would be, of course, my mint condition 2002 Electron Blue convertible, with 9500 miles and every option.

Yes, yes, I know what a hoot it would be to face off against 911s on the Autobahn, but what I'd really like to know is whether I can sell it on the German market when it's time to come home in three years? With the dollar/euro exchange rate, it would be a big win, and most importantly it would convince household-6 (the wife) that it makes financial good sense... as opposed to me just wanting my toy to come along for the ride.

Anybody have any knowledge of gray marketing a US-spec Corvette in Europe? Mechanical or other modifications needed? Legal hurdles?

All assistance appreciated!
You will need to check with your base, ill explain my 2 overseas experiences so you can have an idea what you might be up against. (I was Prior Navy 10 years)

In Japan, you could sell your car to a Japanese National, no questions asked. Registration was up to them so i have no idea how that worked, but you would not be responsible for it.

In Italy, when our cars arrived in the country the were tagged and licensed by the base. Technically they were "duty free" and not in the Italian system, it was as if they never left American Soil. Because of this, Americans could never, under any circumstance sell a car to an Italian National, not even Italian spec cars they bought in Italy when they got to the country.

So basically, you need to check with the base that you will be stationed for the local regulations
Old 07-29-2008, 07:31 PM
Sarjik
2nd Gear

Well okey dokey then, I'll have to figure out how to get the on post JAG's phone number. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2008, 07:52 PM
sjbrothers
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have friends in the south of France that would love a vett. I will be going over in August for a month. Post what you find out. Could be interesting.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:08 PM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

I was at Ramstein from 03-06. The biggest thing you'll run into is the Taxes that a local buyer will have to pay so even though they are willing to pay more, most of that gets eaten up with taxes. Also sending you a PM
Old 07-29-2008, 11:59 PM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be worth it to pay the $1600 to bring it back after your done kicking some azz on the autobahn against the 911
Old 07-30-2008, 01:41 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Theres no problem with selling on the local market and there are loads of gray imports in every country.

The main mods are to lighting to comply with Euro standards (headlights, sidelights, DRLs, side repeaters and a rear foglight.

C5Frederick could give you the details for Germany.

The tax laws are slightly different in each country so I'll leave a Ge local to comment. In UK you pay a car tax (10%) plus VAT (normally 17.5%) on each sale if you'd imported tax free within certain time limits. Once you'd owned it for 12 months theres no tax on a private used car sale. You'd import tax free as a military guy.

I've imported 3 US cars into England over the years.

I've done the lighting mods so I can help there

Last edited by DeeGee; 07-30-2008 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 AM
MadTom
Advanced

The german customs duty is 10% and on the sum 19% tax on imported cars.
In addition to this comes ~ 2K € (minimum) for technical mods, acceptance test by german TÜV and german registration/new title and certificates of exemption.

Have a good time in germany .
Old 07-30-2008, 03:44 AM
JACKAL0PE
Lepus-temperamentalus
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Theres no problem with selling on the local market and there are loads of gray imports in every country.

The main mods are to lighting to comply with Euro standards (headlights, sidelights, side repeaters and a rear foglight.

C5Frederick could give you the details for Germany.

The tax laws are slightly different in each country so I'll leave a Ge local to comment. In UK you pay a car tax (10%) plus VAT (normally 17.5%) on each sale if you'd imported tax free within certain time limits. Once you'd owned it for 12 months theres no tax on a private used car sale. You'd import tax free as a military guy.

I've imported 3 US cars into England over the years.
I agree. I don't have any personal experience, but from what I've read, the mods necessary to make your U.S. version legal in Germany are pretty extensive. That $1600 is just the shipping cost, not the mod cost.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 PM
White Rabbit
Burning Brakes

Take the Vette with you there and buy a new German family car when you get there... btw my sister and borther inlaw are AirForce stationed in Ramstien
Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Michaelw
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi,

USD 1600 seems a lot, my Dutch Chapter buddies and me ship for around USD 900 per car from the states.

In terms of selling - no problems with that. Just imported a US version C5 and the only thing which are needed is adjustment on the lights:
- must have orange blinkers on both sides
- need fog lamp on the back
- disable of day time running lights

That's about it!

But note that this only applies if you sell locally, since you are a US citizen your car will not need the changes for driving it on European roads. So it is the problem of the buyer.

can you send me some pics on the car?

Mike

Last edited by Michaelw; 07-30-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:27 PM
californiakid
Instructor

Yes, you can sell a vette in Germany.

Last edited by californiakid; 10-24-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: account deletion
Old 07-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not sure how it works in Germany, but if you can afford it, take the car. What a way to see Europe.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Chris Arnold
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing this long dead thread back because it seems the most on topic to my particular question.

It looks like '06 C6 Z06s sell for 50k euro or more in Germany. I am considering buying one to have the army ship it for free, and then selling it there. 50k euro is around 70k US dollars. I can get a Z06 here for around 45k US dollars. Would this be a good move?

My understanding is that I would not pay any customs fees, import taxes/tariffs, etc... However, would it be worth the hassle? Realistically, will I make a profit?

If not, I'm just going to have them ship my '97 over.

Can anyone help me?

Get notified of new replies

To Selling a 'Vette in Germany

Quick Reply: Selling a 'Vette in Germany