Sponsored by:

[Z06] 1/4 mile times with large 21-22 inch rims

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 04:33 AM
David426
Safety Car

Received 130 Likes on 39 Posts

Default 1/4 mile times with large 21-22 inch rims

Lately I have seen a lot of new members running large diameter wheels and tires.. I'm wondering what difference you guys see at the track over the stock rims and tires.. This changes your overall gear ratio.. Most folks don't change out the rear end for a 4.10 or 3.73.. Comments are appreciated.. thanks
Old 08-01-2008, 12:35 PM
BRETTROD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ummm I think the largest to likely go to the track would be 20's but I would even doubt someone would run 20's at the track. We don't drive Escalade's.

You will find that most ppl will switch out their wheels before they go to the track so your answer may be hard to come by. I have 19/19 on mine with 3.90's and the CCW's will not be seeing any track, that is what the stockers with the DR's on them are for

brett

Last edited by BRETTROD; 08-01-2008 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:03 PM
pit-man
Le Mans Master

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by David426
Lately I have seen a lot of new members running large diameter wheels and tires.. I'm wondering what difference you guys see at the track over the stock rims and tires.. This changes your overall gear ratio.. Most folks don't change out the rear end for a 4.10 or 3.73.. Comments are appreciated.. thanks
Usually the larger rim will have a shorter sidewall tire and the overall height is the same, thereby not affecting your final gear ratio. By the way..from what I understand, the weight added from most aftermarket wheels is like static weight. If your new wheel/tire is say 30lbs heavier per wheel, that is 120 additional lbs..times 3-4..which is like towing 4-500 lbs behind you. Something to consider if you race.
Pitt
Old 08-01-2008, 02:20 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think the car would look like a match box car with anything big than 20's... YUCK !
Old 08-01-2008, 09:28 PM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

wheels that big are but to each his own to ruin a car
Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 PM
CYA-Vett
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You car will be slower for 3 reasons:

It will weigh more
You will have poor gearing
And most importantly, since they dont make DR's or slicks in that size, you wont be able to launch on those street tires
Old 08-02-2008, 02:37 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by pit-man
Usually the larger rim will have a shorter sidewall tire and the overall height is the same, thereby not affecting your final gear ratio.
... if the overall diameter is the same then the gearing will not be effected. A smaller diameter will be like lowering the gearing, and a larger diameter will be like increasing the gearing.

Originally Posted by pit-man
By the way..from what I understand, the weight added from most aftermarket wheels is like static weight. If your new wheel/tire is say 30lbs heavier per wheel, that is 120 additional lbs..times 3-4..which is like towing 4-500 lbs behind you. Something to consider if you race.
Pitt
Heavier wheels and tires will also rob rwhp because it takes more hp to spin them up ... their rotational inertia is much higher.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 134 Posts

ghetto
Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM
96cobrakid
Pro

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
ghetto
lol
Old 02-10-2013, 01:32 AM
brandon2011zo6
Heel & Toe

Default ghetto

Originally Posted by Cjunkie
ghetto
just would like to know what does this term "ghetto" really mean? Does it target a specific group of people? Is the ghetto comprised of a particular group of people? Do you think the term "ghetto" it would be offensive to someone that may have been raised in a poverty stricken environment? So what would "suburban" look like when having a discussion about a car? Thanks for sharing your opinion. I really think if some of us spent more time thinking before speaking we would realize how necessary it is to be more considerate of word usage.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 AM
FruiTay
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whatever man. If you have a forum that millions can comment on, you have to expect some of them to be jerks. Some of them will be nice too. Just be prepared for almost any response. Dont get so bent.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:26 AM
01 Zee06
Intermediate

A little sensitive there Brandon? So much so that you brought up a thread that is nearly 5 years old?

There are those that don't like big wheels. Some of us (like myself) come from the 60's muscle car backround so it's hard to accept. I'm not much of a fan of anything over 15" if you ask me But to each their own.
I have heard alot of terms, like Donks, Ghetto, or living in the hood, usually associated with booming stereos. All would suggest a certain ethnic backround I suppose if you want to stereotype here. I really don't care what people call them.

I've had my steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps called "poverty caps". If one were sensitive to the word it might suggest I lived in poverty when I bought the car. I really don't care, it's just a term that really doesn't mean anything to me (I call them poverty caps myself ) but I never did jump onto the "politically correct" bandwagon either Not everything is a racest or derogatory comment as much as society wants you to believe.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:03 PM
brandon2011zo6
Heel & Toe

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by 01 Zee06
A little sensitive there Brandon? So much so that you brought up a thread that is nearly 5 years old?

There are those that don't like big wheels. Some of us (like myself) come from the 60's muscle car backround so it's hard to accept. I'm not much of a fan of anything over 15" if you ask me But to each their own.
I have heard alot of terms, like Donks, Ghetto, or living in the hood, usually associated with booming stereos. All would suggest a certain ethnic backround I suppose if you want to stereotype here. I really don't care what people call them.

I've had my steel wheels with dog dish hubcaps called "poverty caps". If one were sensitive to the word it might suggest I lived in poverty when I bought the car. I really don't care, it's just a term that really doesn't mean anything to me (I call them poverty caps myself ) but I never did jump onto the "politically correct" bandwagon either Not everything is a racest or derogatory comment as much as society wants you to believe.
Thanks for your opinion....
Old 02-10-2013, 12:04 PM
brandon2011zo6
Heel & Toe

Default thanks

Originally Posted by FruiTay
Whatever man. If you have a forum that millions can comment on, you have to expect some of them to be jerks. Some of them will be nice too. Just be prepared for almost any response. Dont get so bent.
Thanks for your comment.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM
tlove32
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you go running in loafers? No? Then why race in 20"+ wheels? Use the proper shoes. If you want to drag race, then get some proper wheels and drag radials
Old 02-11-2013, 05:26 AM
Xx_Black-out
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'11-'12

Originally Posted by brandon2011zo6
just would like to know what does this term "ghetto" really mean? Does it target a specific group of people? Is the ghetto comprised of a particular group of people? Do you think the term "ghetto" it would be offensive to someone that may have been raised in a poverty stricken environment? So what would "suburban" look like when having a discussion about a car? Thanks for sharing your opinion. I really think if some of us spent more time thinking before speaking we would realize how necessary it is to be more considerate of word usage.
Come to Off Topic and have a civilized discussion.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

the thinner the side wall the harder to get the tire to hook up, ie tire spin

There is a reason DR use 15" rims. More side wall on the tire for better grip and hook up.

Lighter the wheels the better.

For every 100 lbs of rational weight removed is ~ 1/10 sec in the quarter.

and 1 lb static weight is ~ 6.5 lbs or rational weight. not to mention the farther the weight is from the center of rotation, the heavier the wheel.

Weight is the killer for acceleration.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 02-11-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1/4 mile times with large 21-22 inch rims

Old 02-11-2013, 08:21 AM
Must_Have_Z
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 105 Posts

Dubs don't belong on a Corvette. On ANY Corvette.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:53 AM
Rollin20z
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Must_Have_Z
Dubs don't belong on a Corvette. On ANY Corvette.
Yeah, that's why I just won't own a ZR1. Look how slow & ugly they are. Doesn't GM know better?
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
drewkeen
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brandon2011zo6

The extra weight and lack of a sticky tire hurts times. This also depends on your power level, if you have a stock 385hp car you could probably still get some grip and cut a decent time but if you have a 800rwhp car you will probably just blow the tires off.

Last edited by drewkeen; 02-11-2013 at 11:52 AM.

Quick Reply: [Z06] 1/4 mile times with large 21-22 inch rims