Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnouts bad??!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 03:40 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Once in a while's OK, provided you don't get any wheel hop etc. The initial break of traction does put stress on drive line components, motor mounts etc.

Oh yeah, if you're power braking it, it's also possible that one side of your rear brakes is holding on just slightly more then the other- which can cause the clutch packs in the rear to overheat.

I used to love to do burnouts... I have a line lock on the 'vette too, but the price of tires cost too much to be entertained by seeing how high the smoke can rise Now when it's time to change the tires out.....
Old 08-05-2008, 04:11 PM
bassman12350
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Burnouts can be fun! The cost of tires prevents me from considering it. Keep in mind that GM engineered your car to handle the stresses placed upon it by full-throttle acceleration under extreme loads (e.g., steep grades) and adverse conditions. Unless one or both tires grabs suddenly, you should be OK. What breaks things is a lot of rotating mass which is rotating at high RPMs being brought to a sudden stop, or similar action.

Here's an additional factor to consider. When you break traction, your rear wheels are spinning on molten rubber bits. The rear of your car is subject to gravity and will move downhill as or while the tires are attempting to "hook-up." There is the distinct possibility you could lose control. So.......have fun and burn out wisely........
Old 08-05-2008, 05:57 PM
arobber
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is a sissy car and was never meant to do this!! Just kiddin'. It's all about how many tires you want to buy.

Have fun, and smoke 'em if you got 'em!
Old 08-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

The car is now totally trashed.

I predict it will collapse into several thousand component parts in the next week or so.

Best thing to do is PM me your address and I'll come pick it up so you don't have to pay to have all the pieces hauled away.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:20 PM
z060-0
Burning Brakes

I ordered a new set of Toyos to replace the original Good-Years. Think I might just burn the remaining rubber off the rears. Not worried about any breaking. These cars will take it.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:31 PM
black 99
Burning Brakes

Default burnouts

Of course you broke a mustang.
F O R D ( LOL) Found On The Road Dead!!

Last edited by black 99; 08-05-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Quick 68
Racer

You should be fine. Im making just over 440 to the wheels and my wheels see it every time I get in the Z. I don't do a lot of burnouts for the fact that DR's are expensive, however I shift at 6500rpms on a regular basis and bang gears fairly hard with no problems. Have fun your car wasn't built to drive 55mph all the time.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM
vetteguy11
Advanced

I agree, they are made to be driven hard, if you want to baby a car buy a minivan. I have twin turbos and a stock driveline and I can't help but spin just by putting my foot into it. Aside from tires, no harm done. i knew a guy that bought a dodge truck off of an old couple who never drove over the speed limit, by never reving the engine, over time, the cylinders had a groove wore into them from all the miles it was driven. When he bought it and reved it up one time the rings hit the groove and snapped in half. Sometimes not reving an engine can cause more damage. Plus, why have a car you never drive to it's potential? Thats like having a trophy wife you never sleep with. LOL
Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Drive it anyway you can AFFORD to drive it. You will eventually break stuff as you found out with the Mustang.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:38 PM
mbroadway
Pro

Okay. I've enjoyed reading all of your opinions. When I was in high school I had a 64 impala 4-speed convertible that I burned the tires on quite frequently. I would sometimes shift into second at 70mph, and I don't know how high the rpms were at that point, but it just sounded like the right shift point.

But I've never done anything similar with my vette. I've only had it five months and I just found out tonight on another forum how to turn off the TC and the AH. So I may experiment with that a bit and see how it goes.

Now here's my question. Obviously, I don't want to snap the rings. But my car is an 01 6 speed with only 23,000 miles on it, so I'm hoping there's no groove in the cylinders yet. (Does that make sense?) The previous owner pretty much babied it. So my questions is, what rpm would still be safe as a shift point? I don't want to take it too high and break something. Plus, my tires are original, so I'm planning on buying some new Michelin PS2s this month anyway. Of course, at 8 years old, I don't know if I should be burning the tires without fear of the tread flying off.

I'm open to any comment, suggestions, or advice.

Thanks

Michael in KC
Old 08-05-2008, 11:48 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mbroadway
Okay. I've enjoyed reading all of your opinions. When I was in high school I had a 64 impala 4-speed convertible that I burned the tires on quite frequently. I would sometimes shift into second at 70mph, and I don't know how high the rpms were at that point, but it just sounded like the right shift point.

But I've never done anything similar with my vette. I've only had it five months and I just found out tonight on another forum how to turn off the TC and the AH. So I may experiment with that a bit and see how it goes.

Now here's my question. Obviously, I don't want to snap the rings. But my car is an 01 6 speed with only 23,000 miles on it, so I'm hoping there's no groove in the cylinders yet. (Does that make sense?) The previous owner pretty much babied it. So my questions is, what rpm would still be safe as a shift point? I don't want to take it too high and break something. Plus, my tires are original, so I'm planning on buying some new Michelin PS2s this month anyway. Of course, at 8 years old, I don't know if I should be burning the tires without fear of the tread flying off.

I'm open to any comment, suggestions, or advice.

Thanks

Michael in KC
Relax and enjoy it Mike,,I'm 61 and just got my 2000 FRC in mid January it had 55000 on it and I've run the dickens out of it with no harm or symptoms!! I changed the plugs and wires,changed tranny and rear lubes and then put in a dyno display at the Mid West Nationals in may. They did 13 dyno pulls at the display and that next Tuesday I took it to test and tune night at the strip.Got a little exuberant on the first pass and hit the rev limiter in the first three gears.No harm no fowl and after several passes it cracked a 13.08/110.23 on Goodyear runflats. I've had her to the strip 3 times and two road trips 240 and 1100 mi. in 7 months I've put over 5000 mi and she purrs like a kitten!! Just do your maintainence and don't hit the rev limiter too often(it's there to protect your engine(kicks in around 6100) relax and enjoy.Your car has Competition driving mode if you want to get frisky. Press and hold your traction control button about 5 seconds after traction control off on DIC and COMP. DRIVING mode will show.This will let you spin the tires while keeping stability control on. Hope this helps,,GENE
Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
I suggest you go out and bang the car off the rev limiter a few times to see what she's really like.

Maybe you should have opted for the hybrid 4cyl version.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:53 AM
InSaNeKaMeL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when im heating the slicks at the track my rpms are around 6900...
Old 08-06-2008, 12:55 AM
BATM4N
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hit it!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 06:30 AM
TopFuelTim
Burning Brakes

Previous owner did seven to ten burnouts each weekend, at the racetrack,with an A4. Still going fine, although I don't do 'em. Can't afford to break anything.

Tim Glover
Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Vette-Dream
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by z060-0
I ordered a new set of Toyos to replace the original Good-Years. Think I might just burn the remaining rubber off the rears. Not worried about any breaking. These cars will take it.
Burnouts are the best part about having to replace your tires... if you know what I mean.

Second best part is catching it on video

Some of the 'funnest' driving is to be had in the last couple days of your tires lifecycle

Last edited by Vette-Dream; 08-06-2008 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have a fellow club member that bought a C6 and now uses his 99 A4 as his fun/drag car heating drag radials and running it on a regular basis,,,and it has OVER 110,000 miles on it and STILL going strong.Hasn't broken anything yet and it runs in the 11s!!

Get notified of new replies

To Burnouts bad??!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
crosstheline
Pro

No problems here!!

Old 08-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Wolfe
I'm 61 years old and I say ''Smoke em if ya got em''!
Dave
I am only 48 but , smoke em if you got em
Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
TWOBUELLS
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I checked with all the tire manufacturers and they said burnouts are good. Keep on doin em.....

Quick Reply: Burnouts bad??!