Need help!! Car is at stealership!! P1518 code

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by slvrzo6
Not only are you guys a great help, But I'm NOT feeling Violent anymore! I'll let you know what happens tomarrow!
fixed it for you
Old 10-14-2008, 09:35 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talked to the Dealership today, They actually called me.. I guess they have made NO Progress with my Car. Car is still in reduced power mode and shows Code P1518HC. The Corvette TECH checked all the grounds, Wires at the starter, They said he also checked voltage and several different points. They said nothing was constant. They said the TAC was good. So there TECH had a call into GM technical support????? GREAT I feel like my Car is F**K'D.. She told me there TECH had 6 hours working on it today.. GREAT at like 80 an hour are they going to hit me for a $480.00 bill for nothing??? They also checked the Serial Cable from the TAC to PCM and voltage at points there? I guess it just shows Code P1518 HC still? Can anyone help me? I told them to Try putting a different Battery in, just to see if my OPTIMA was doing weird stuff. She said they would in the morning and call me again.. JEZZZZ this is a downer!

Last edited by slvrzo6; 10-14-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 PM
Rocky57
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your trouble. I hope they are able to find and fix the problem for a reasonable price. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Although you have exposure here, I wonder if the post would have gotten more assistance in C5 Tech. Maybe you could talk to the mods to see if they would move it?

Electrical problems can be a bear to solve. I chased one on my '93 C4 for almost 10 days, and it was my only vehicle so I had to rent a car until I resolved it. Ended up, it was the PCM. I replaced an awful lot of parts until it finally showed its ugly head. It had stranded me twice and was so frustrating cause I kept thinking it was resolved. Pulling the PCM and one sniff with the cover off and it was so obvious I had major silicone chips fried.

Good luck, sorry I can't help more. Keep us updated.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:33 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jet-Jock
Although you have exposure here, I wonder if the post would have gotten more assistance in C5 Tech. Maybe you could talk to the mods to see if they would move it?

Electrical problems can be a bear to solve. I chased one on my '93 C4 for almost 10 days, and it was my only vehicle so I had to rent a car until I resolved it. Ended up, it was the PCM. I replaced an awful lot of parts until it finally showed its ugly head. It had stranded me twice and was so frustrating cause I kept thinking it was resolved. Pulling the PCM and one sniff with the cover off and it was so obvious I had major silicone chips fried.

Good luck, sorry I can't help more. Keep us updated.
I posted this originally in the C5 TECH section with almost NO response. So then I posted it here. I got much more exposure here in the C5 General.. Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted.. Please ask your friends with c5 Vetts if they have ever had this problem. I'm going to stop the Dealship from trouble shooting if the Bill reachs over $1200.00 and they don't find anything. This really Stinks!! !
Old 10-14-2008, 11:53 PM
homewrecker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry to hear it. I don't know him, but I heard Bill Curlee is real helpful, knowledgable...as well as a good guy too. I would PM him, or post a thread asking for him. It wouldn't hurt to pick his brain a bit
Old 10-14-2008, 11:57 PM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Originally Posted by homewrecker
Sorry to hear it. I don't know him, but I heard Bill Curlee is real helpful, knowledgable...as well as a good guy too. I would PM him, or post a thread asking for him. It wouldn't hurt to pick his brain a bit
I'll do it! I feel I can use all the Help I can get! Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:26 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

ttt
Old 10-15-2008, 03:40 AM
homewrecker
Drifting

Can you tell the tech to take a look at the alternator? Or bring it home and try to figure this damn thing out....since they didn't repair it...no harm no foul? am I'm dreaming?
Old 10-15-2008, 08:44 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Something tells me it's not the alternator.. The car goes into reduced power mode the second you Key on the ignition. The DIC says Charge System Fault and Reduced Power Mode before the Cars Engine even Starts. Thanks Though.. I dunno Help me Corvette Gods..
Old 10-15-2008, 09:29 AM
homewrecker
Drifting

I read about the 1518 and indeed it's long...
1. Battery voltage low
2. Short to b+ on the TAC module ground circuit, inspect the fuses for the circuits that are in the TAC module harness (i.e. cruise, brake). An inspection of the fuses may lead you to circuit that is shorted to the TAC module ground circuit.
Basically check all wires, gaskets, insulation, broken wire etc....

let me know if you need the diagram and stuff so I can bring the service manual to the firehouse to scan it for ya. I think you should replace the TAC Module...I heard it's simple...Good luck.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:45 AM
homewrecker
Drifting

check out this link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...e+soon+service
Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

For $80, you can get an AC/Delco OEM replacement battery from the parts department there and have them or you stick it in.

If it is low voltage on any buss you will get all kinds of gremlins.

I tell you, there is no better investment then a set of factory service manuals. If I were you I would order a set today, about 125. from HelmInc on the internet. That was the first thing I bought when I brought home my C5. I practically wore out the pages on the one's for my C4.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:55 AM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by homewrecker
This is an excellent post, and will be the cause of many gremlins if you have any corrosion in these ground modules.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:12 AM
11SECSS
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is what I would do... Get your car back from the dealership ASAP, post in your regional forum to find a good corvette tuner in your area and bring it to them.... Will be a lot cheaper, and I've come to find that these guys are typically MUCH more knowledgeable about our cars than the dealership!

ALSO, This may sound weird but a similar situation happened to me... Check the BAT terminal on the starter! I was having the weirdest issues with my old 99 FRC a couple years back, it was throwing charge system fault and reduced power mode, I had just installed my Kooks long tubes and apparently I got too anxious when buttoning everything back up that I guess I didn't go back and fully tighten that nut...(took me countless hours in the garage trying to figure that one out!) Now I don't know if this is the same problem you are having but its worth a try to check and if it is it will save you a **** ton of money!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:40 AM
slvrzo6
Drifting

Thanks guys.. Car is still at the Stealership. I havn't talked to them yet today, but there were going to try a new battery this morning.. If they don't fix it I'm going to have to have it towed here to my house. I'll keep you all updated. I live in Champaign Illinois, 2.5 Hours South of Chicago Area. I think the Nearest Tuner is up there or in Indiana, either way it's a couple hundred dollar Tow, or I'll barrow a Trailer and Tow it myself..

Last edited by slvrzo6; 10-15-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 11SECSS
Here is what I would do... Get your car back from the dealership ASAP, post in your regional forum to find a good corvette tuner in your area and bring it to them....
This sounds like a good idea. It won't hurt.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help!! Car is at stealership!! P1518 code

Old 10-15-2008, 11:28 PM
Whiteonrice
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

It's the battery. Get rid of the Optima buy a decent replacement AGM and your problems will go away.

Rick

Last edited by Whiteonrice; 10-15-2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:01 AM
11SECSS
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

WWW.DIDRACE.COM these guys are in Crest Hill.... not sure how far that is from you.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:08 AM
BOTYNV1
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

A reputable shop here has done some work for me here in Springfield about 90 miles away. They have a couple of high HP Vettes in their stable, and have done work on many more, let me know. Will send PM!

Quick Reply: Need help!! Car is at stealership!! P1518 code