Sponsored by:

VETTE Magazine put me into Collections - Arghh

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:22 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

those douche bags have done that to me before....so I just call them up...make them update their system and call the agnecy to make corrections!!
Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 AM
Black 'n Tan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

What BS! A few years ago I received a similar letter from those guys in North Shore LI concerning a debt I owed for some BS RAG called "MODERN HOT RODDING". I called the scammer collection agency, got nowhere, then I called the magazine headquarters, and told them if they could produce my signature, authorizing the purchase of the magazine, I would pay the amount owed. If not, I told them if I received ONE MORE NOTICE OF NON-PAYMENT, my next action would be a letter to the State of Florida, Attorney General's office (home of the magazine). I never heard from them again. I believe that collection agency and many of these 2nd rate, BS scam magazines are nothing more than a plot to separate you from your cash. My advice, don't pay a dime, FIGHT THEM!

John
Old 11-26-2008, 10:28 AM
digivex
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black 'n Tan
What BS! A few years ago I received a similar letter from those guys in North Shore LI concerning a debt I owed for some BS RAG called "MODERN HOT RODDING". I called the scammer collection agency, got nowhere, then I called the magazine headquarters, and told them if they could produce my signature, authorizing the purchase of the magazine, I would pay the amount owed. If not, I told them if I received ONE MORE NOTICE OF NON-PAYMENT, my next action would be a letter to the State of Florida, Attorney General's office (home of the magazine). I never heard from them again. I believe that collection agency and many of these 2nd rate, BS scam magazines are nothing more than a plot to separate you from your cash. My advice, don't pay a dime, FIGHT THEM!

John
John, I totally agree with you and that's exactly what I did: I documented everything I had on hand and filed a formal complaint with my State's Attorney General's office.

I believe that the company that manages Vette Magazine also manages a number of other automotive publications such as Corvette Fever and may use similar tactics for those publications as well.

Beware of how these guys define "Subscriber Relations"

Dave
Old 11-26-2008, 12:23 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,500 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by digivex
Thanks for the post.

I think one of the key words is that you renewed your subscription to Vette. I never even ordered the magazine in the first place... It was a gift subscription. I signed nothing that said I wanted the magazine; they did not receive a check from me with my name on it, etc.

Yet, they put me into collections for a difference in the alleged amount owed on the gift ($12.95 versus $29.95) without any other attempt to contact me or anyone else for that matter. And, they did this in a very short period of time.

As mentioned, I immediately called them and paid what they wanted. But, it doesn't end there. Now, I have to send proof of payment and work with a collection agency, hoping that my credit is not tarnished. But, the collection agency is totally automated and I can't get through to a human... So, I guess that will be in writing. At the same time, I will send copies of my letter the NJ State Attorney General's office.

I would also suggest you contact the 3 major credit bureaus; Experian, Equifax and Trans Union. You can request a free credit report from each of them once per year. They can also help with any false claims, etc.

Sound like you are on top of your financials and I know how frustrating it is when something this small jumps out of nowhere and can wreak havoc on your electronic records. Vette probably did not correctly load your subscription at the promotional gift rate or the promotion had additional qualifiers in small print that your wife did not see.

I agree that Vette should have contacted you directly, however these magazine publishing houses are managed through outside firms (that's why your rep did not know off hand if he handled Vette).

It's getting to the point that the additional junk mail I receive from being on these subsciption lists aren't worth the cost of the subscription. Although I enjoy reading some of the articles, I plan to pretty much let all my auto and other subscriptions run out and not renew. I will then check the grocery store magazine stand when I get the itch....
Old 11-26-2008, 12:58 PM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08

Originally Posted by DaBoz
Total BS. I was just going to subscribe but won't now.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:01 PM
JH
Burning Brakes

I strongly suspect your wife isn't the issue here, as you say. She got the mag in good faith as a very thoughtful gift for you. Many of these subscription offers are not particularly clear as to what they require and when for payment. Frustrating. Chalk it up to the marketing agency hired by the publisher.

As to the mag itself, this is a sign of the outsourced world in which we live these days. The magazine didn't , per se, "send you to collections over $17." The publisher sends all the past due accounts for all their publications to collections because it is perceived as cheaper for them to do so, versus internalizing the cost on staff for someone to do that work. The guy you talked to probably is the tenth person in that job this year and had to look online at his job instructions to see if they "represent" Vette magazine. Meanwhile, the magazine is "lean and mean" (now there's a new twist) but their subscribers put up with the harrassment.

This will cost them subscriptions, at least a few from this sizeable web site, so was it really worth it to them?

The Wednesday-before-Thanksgiving musings of a retired PR guy.

Old 11-26-2008, 02:04 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,102 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKE-C5
Old 11-26-2008, 03:59 PM
mrm1149
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Magazines, cell phones ( don't ask ) it's all mass confusion. I seriously doubt that my credit would be affected over $17 Follow me back to 1969 and then tell me how your $17 will damage my track record would be my response to these collector robots.
Old 11-26-2008, 04:25 PM
c5BlackBeauty
Corvette C5 Enthusiast

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '12-'13, '15-'16, '21

Originally Posted by mrm1149
Magazines, cell phones ( don't ask ) it's all mass confusion. I seriously doubt that my credit would be affected over $17 Follow me back to 1969 and then tell me how your $17 will damage my track record would be my response to these collector robots.

True that my friend, however it's not the amount but rather the impact on your credit score that even a small infraction can impose. I had a 25.00 ding on my report that I've been working on for the last year, and which impacted my score by 15 points. It adds up.......
Old 11-26-2008, 05:21 PM
hattitude
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JH
This will cost them subscriptions, at least a few from this sizeable web site, so was it really worth it to them?

The Wednesday-before-Thanksgiving musings of a retired PR guy.

Vette is off my list...........
Old 11-26-2008, 05:58 PM
digivex
Drifting

No changes today... The only response I received from Vette was what I copied into a previous post at: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1567972783-post24.html which offered no attempt to assist me with the fact that Vette put me into collections for an alleged $17.00 discrepancy on a gift subscription that I personally did not order, a few weeks after they cashed the gift giver's (my wife) check for $12.95.

That one and only response came after I copied my original post (same as posted here) into their "Ask the Staff" online forum.

My other email to them went unanswered ("Letters to the Editor").

Of course, I have followed up via postal mail as described in an earlier post to this thread.

In the meantime, they (Vette) deleted my post in their "Ask the Staff" forum and then blocked my IP address. I can no longer visit their online Blogs, Forums or Readers Ride sections. All I get on those pages is: “The internet connection you are using is considered invalid. Please try again using different internet connection. If you have continued difficulties, contact your Community Moderators.”

It seems that if you attempt to raise an issue with them they prefer to put you on a blocked list and ignore you versus any attempt to resolve the issue. And, putting anyone into collections for any amount is an issue.

I am confident that they will listen to what's coming via postal mail

I hope that everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2008, 05:59 PM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by C5Norm
I subscribe to Vette and they are actually becoming a PITA. My subscription expires in May 2009 and I have received THREE renewal notices already, one said "hurry, last notice, or you will loose your subscription", or something to that effect. I've got a half year left already, jeez. All they need to do is notify me a month before it's up.

I don't think I'm going to renew.
Same here. Every time I get one of their notices I have to check when my subscription expires. It seems that most of the major car magazines are using the same ploy, which irritates the crap out of me.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:41 PM
PuddleJumper
Pro

Originally Posted by DaBoz
I must confess, years ago I got one of these collection letters. I just wrote "Deceased" on the bill and returned it. Never heard from them again!
Old 11-26-2008, 08:08 PM
xilr8n
Drifting

You can use a webproxy to get to the website.

There are many out there like http://www.texasproxy.com
Old 11-26-2008, 08:23 PM
ValiantSailor
Pro

Well Im sure the Vette Magazine sure as hell ruined their own reputation here and that should be some solace to you. When crap like this gets into collection it hard to undo.

I wonder why they never billed you for the 17 bucks. It is by the way, Vettes responsibility to notify the collection company that you paid, not you. When you are dealing with a collection, it is dealing with two separate companies at that point and the asshat at the collection assumes you to be a deadbeat. They deal with them every day.

Of course trying to keep your credit looking good is important and those asshats know it. Its just a royal pain in the butt. Been there like you and got the t shirt for it.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:34 PM
RLYSLO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

digivex,

I wouldn't even try dealing with whomever vette magazine has contracted out for their customer service anymore. You said that the amount owed has been paid correct? Contact the collection agency and notify them of this, have them verify it with whomever sent the debt to collections on behalf of vette magazine, and ask them for a letter stating that the debt has been paid and that the negative item should be removed from your credit report. Get that letter from the collection agency and send it off with a dispute to each of the 3 credit agencies.... you can dispute negative items online if you get your credit report online, otherwise you can send them a dispute letter in the mail.

The listing on their report is from the collection agency I'm sure and not vette magazine, so you need a letter from that collection agency saying you've paid it and instructing the credit agency to remove the entry on your report.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 560 Likes on 238 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Yeah, I don't think the people of Vette Magazine themselves screwed you over, but the magazine subscription conglomerate that sold the subscription is unethical....and probably always will be. I never subscribe from those companies that handled hundreds of magazines....they will scam you any way they can. I know, it's happened to me and it cost me way more than originally promised to clear it up....they should be shot.

I'm not sure if it is any better, but if I wanted a subscription to a magazine, I would go to the newstand, buy a copy and purchase a subscription straight from them....or at least you are going through a company the publishers of the mag trust....and I think you have a more direct connection should things go bad. Food for thought anyway.

Get notified of new replies

To VETTE Magazine put me into Collections - Arghh

Old 11-26-2008, 08:53 PM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 369 Likes on 262 Posts

Vette is off my list. Thanks for the update.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:58 PM
grayfox2424
Racer

I learned years ago NEVER EVER subscribe to any magazine.or give any subscriptions as a gift..They will bug you to death with renweal offers and they can and often due ruin your credit...You can probably expect to have several of your credit cards cancelled ,not renewed or your credit limit reduced to equal your current balance...better teach your wife to read those notices better. if the subscription was $29.95 that is what she should have sent not just $12.95.It was after all her fault and you are screwed.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 PM
Cdn Z06 Mike
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Oh 2 Fun
Yeah, I don't think the people of Vette Magazine themselves screwed you over, but the magazine subscription conglomerate that sold the subscription is unethical....and probably always will be. I never subscribe from those companies that handled hundreds of magazines....they will scam you any way they can. I know, it's happened to me and it cost me way more than originally promised to clear it up....they should be shot.

I'm not sure if it is any better, but if I wanted a subscription to a magazine, I would go to the newstand, buy a copy and purchase a subscription straight from them....or at least you are going through a company the publishers of the mag trust....and I think you have a more direct connection should things go bad. Food for thought anyway.
I have to disagree with you on this one It is absolutely the responsibility of Vette Magazine to be accountable for the actions of the people that represent them. It seems that Vette Magazine themselves are not interested is resolving what is such a trivial matter yet has reprecussions on a personal level. What is worse is that no efforts were made to contact Digivex to resolve the concern prior to going to a collection agency. Personally speaking again, I have enough choices and sources to obtain Vette information and Vette Magazine will never be one of them again. Blocking their blogs etc is another sign that they have no desire to resolve concerns they are faced with. I truly hope with the current recession they go belly up. Maybe that will cause more people to re-think their customer service mandate.

Digivex, its unfortunate you have had to go to these lengths just to resolve a matter as minimal as this over $17.00. Hopefully keeping this post alive will alert other Corvette members to avoid this publication and hopefully all others published under their umbrella.

Quick Reply: VETTE Magazine put me into Collections - Arghh