Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[Z06] What to expect from a dyno tune?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 01:48 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't go into a tune of any kind expecting a certain number, for example "I should be at 385 h.p. because that is what a stock Z with a Ziptie mod was." The only thing a dyno is good for is a before and after comparison. The tune that I posted above was done by Ed Hutchins in Chesapeake, VA. I've yet to hear a single complaint about his work. I was able to "play" with the computer and look at the different results with different values and corrections. I applied different corrections actually got it to say that my peak run was over 400h.p. when corrected it was obviously much lower.

Keep that in mind when you are looking at results and make sure as well as you can that the tuner isn't using any of these little tricks to up the results. Ed's reputation for tuning LSX engines is unmatched. He said that mine was one of the richest factory tunes he has seen, and it gained 17h.p. and 21 ft-lbs with a conservative tune like you said you are looking for. (It peaked a little higher before he took it back to more conservative) I wouldn't expect much more than that from any tune.

I'm sure that the seat-of-the-pants meter might not easily pick up 17h.p. but I can most certainly tell that it is more responsive and the power comes on much smoother. The fact that it was WAY out of tune from the factory probably has a lot to do with it and I'm sure that many don't get the same result but it felt like a totally different car when Ed was done. One of the best things I have done to it so far.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Savior1974
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What most tuners will do is give you a dynotune, and then after the dyno tune, they will drive your car and log it on the street to make sure it is running at its optimum (making changes where it is needed).
Old 12-16-2008, 03:21 PM
Savior1974
Racer

Originally Posted by redls1gto
Don't go into a tune of any kind expecting a certain number, for example "I should be at 385 h.p. because that is what a stock Z with a Ziptie mod was." The only thing a dyno is good for is a before and after comparison. The tune that I posted above was done by Ed Hutchins in Chesapeake, VA. I've yet to hear a single complaint about his work. I was able to "play" with the computer and look at the different results with different values and corrections. I applied different corrections actually got it to say that my peak run was over 400h.p. when corrected it was obviously much lower.

Keep that in mind when you are looking at results and make sure as well as you can that the tuner isn't using any of these little tricks to up the results. Ed's reputation for tuning LSX engines is unmatched. He said that mine was one of the richest factory tunes he has seen, and it gained 17h.p. and 21 ft-lbs with a conservative tune like you said you are looking for. (It peaked a little higher before he took it back to more conservative) I wouldn't expect much more than that from any tune.

I'm sure that the seat-of-the-pants meter might not easily pick up 17h.p. but I can most certainly tell that it is more responsive and the power comes on much smoother. The fact that it was WAY out of tune from the factory probably has a lot to do with it and I'm sure that many don't get the same result but it felt like a totally different car when Ed was done. One of the best things I have done to it so far.
You are absolutely correct. My car was tuned my Charlie@ RPMmotor.inc, (a forum vendor) who is actually the most well known corvette tuner in California. He owns his own shop as well as does the tuning for 3 others shops, so I knew whatever I got from him (numbers and tuning) would be optimum, accurate and true.

I would agree that you don't wanna go expecting to break any records, but their should be some sort of expectations based on other peoples dynos. I went expecting 375whp, and made that as the baseline for my car.. Now I know my car isn't the norm (385whp with 12.8 afrs and 28* of timing), But most ziptie mod, tuned cars are around 370-375rwhp with 12.8 afrs and 24* of timing and thats what he should hope for.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:22 PM
CarBoy
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

ummm, let us not forget a slight improvement in fuel economy as the engine is now operating more efficiently.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:19 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

Great replies. I am trying to line up the tune as we speak.
Thanks.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:42 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

ttt
Old 12-18-2008, 01:03 PM
C5Z
Instructor

If you plan on modifications in the future you'll just be wasting your money now IMO. But if you're going to leave it as is and have $400-$500 burning a hole in your pocket then you might as well.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:30 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5Z
If you plan on modifications in the future you'll just be wasting your money now IMO. But if you're going to leave it as is and have $400-$500 burning a hole in your pocket then you might as well.
I know a lot of shops will do an "update" tune if you add additional mods for a reduced price.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:48 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

They will be using the dyno and HP Tuners. And I have no plans for future mods.

Last edited by meadowz06; 12-18-2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:27 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Originally Posted by meadowz06
...And I have no plans for future mods.
I said that at one point too
Old 12-30-2008, 10:32 PM
meadowz06
Race Director

Originally Posted by TheDingo
A good tuner won't need you to tell him what to do. I'd have them take off the 1-4shift crap. Other than that, I'd say from a good tune, you could expect an extra 10-15rwhp and a car that feels very smooth through the power band.
You were dead spot on. I gained 16 rwhp with NO TIMING put into the car at all! We are going to throw some timing at the car when I put in a 180 thermostat.

Quick Reply: [Z06] What to expect from a dyno tune?