Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just got a c5 w/ a Donaldson BlackWing air filter,no idea how to remove & clean,help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:35 AM
himycorvetteisa98
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got a c5 w/ a Donaldson BlackWing air filter,no idea how to remove & clean,help!

and no, i wasn't given the cleaning tools and oil etc., where can i get those physically (not online)? but yeah, i got this c5 with a blackwing filter, ive never had any experiences with after market air filters, so please help. is there a detailed instruction how to write up on this perhaps?
thanks for the help guys.
Old 01-25-2009, 05:01 AM
himycorvetteisa98
Intermediate

No one? Any one?
Thanx
Old 01-25-2009, 05:55 AM
fastvett
Burning Brakes

Do a search for blackwing cleaning, All info is there.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:54 AM
vetter79
Burning Brakes

Here's one place to get the recharge kit. Inst. should be in the kit.

http://www.corvettesofhouston.com/pr...products_id=73

I have the same setup. Lot's of places sell it.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:46 AM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,680 Likes on 1,302 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

All you need to clean it and recharge it are Simple Green, a bucket of water and a soft brush. To recharge, a small spray bottle with a mixture of mineral oil and alcohol. Spray it on not too heavy, let stand for a while and reinstall. The alcohol will evaporate and the oil stays on the filter.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:40 AM
himycorvetteisa98
Intermediate

thanks but no one has explained to me how to remove the filter...
Old 01-29-2009, 04:17 AM
HawkIVette
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loosen the hose clamp at the top, then it will pop off the two studs that hold it to the shroud ahead of the radiator. When you get ready to put it back on, remove the rubber grommets and install them on the BlackWing first, and push it back onto the studs.

If I remember, you will have to remove the hose on the left side of the filter too. It should just pull off.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,390 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

The filter really does come off very easy. Good luck with the cleaning.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:29 AM
C5BlkVette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08,'16,'18,'21-'22,'24

Donaldson Blackwing Removal Procedure

I followed instructions on that website and it worked perfectly. Hope that helps!

Andy
Old 01-29-2009, 11:46 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,067 Likes on 2,040 Posts

To remove your Blackwing filter, you should first remove the PCV connector from the filter and then remove the MAF sensor wiring harness, which is routed under the airbridge, by carefully prying the plastic prong clip slightly upward while pulling the connection apart.

Next I suggest removing the Blackwing, MAF and Airbridge Duct in one piece by loosening the clamp at the Coupler/Airbridge and gently pulling apart. Then carefully pull the Airbridge Duct from the radiator cover from the grommets. Finally pull or pry (using your center 3 fingers from between the front frame and front of the Blackwing to pop the Blackwing off of the two grommets holding it in place. One the entire three pieces are removed you must seperate the Blackwing Filter from the MAF for cleaning.

After the Blackwing Filter is removed, gently tap it to remove and loosen large debris and dirt. Do not tap on the filter media. You can use a VERY SOFT bristle brush to gently remove any loose debris and particles being extremely careful not to damage the media material. Next spray the Blackwing Cleaner generously over the entire filter and housing and leave it to soak and absorb for approximately 10-15 minutes. You can soak the filter in a container of the cleaning solution turning the filter over to soak each side if you prefer. Next rinse the Blackwing Filter Cleaner from the filter media using a low pressure water stream but make sure to rinse from the clean side (inside) out through the dirty side (opposite of the normal air flow) to remove and not to embed or let any dirt and particles enter the filter. When finished rinsing, gently shake the filter to remove excess water then leave the filter to dry naturally. Do not use heat or compressed air to dry. Once fully dry you can now re-oil the filter material. Apply an even coat and cover the entire media surface being careful not to over oil. let it dry for 25-30 minutes and reinstall.

When reinstalling the Blackwing, aligning the Airbridge duct can be a challenge so take your time to carefully press the MAF firmly back onto the Blackwing and tighten the clamp. This is important so that the grommets at the top of the radiator cover line up so that the Airbridge fits like it did with the factory stock airbox. Once you have it all together, put the front frame grommets in the Blackwing. (Using silicon spray on the rubber grommets and frame posts will make the assembly easier). Next press the entire reassembled unit back onto the posts in the frame. Then it's just a matter of pressing the Airbridge into place onto the grommets at the top of the radiator cover and then installing the coupler. Make sure to run the MAF sensor wire under the Airbridge and then properly reconnect your PCV and MAF sensor connections. Also be sure to tighten up on the clamps after everything is aligned and in place.

Last edited by Mike98SilVert; 01-29-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:19 PM
himycorvetteisa98
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C5BlkVette
Donaldson Blackwing Removal Procedure

I followed instructions on that website and it worked perfectly. Hope that helps!

Andy
thanks, but thats the installing procedure.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 AM
NorCalVette Kid
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Just wondering if the BlackWing is legal in Cali??
Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 AM
himycorvetteisa98
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NorCalVette Kid
me too
but why wouldnt it be?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalVette Kid
Technically - no, it is not, but it is so simple to remove and install that many here in CA do the swap every 2 years (myself included, but with a Halltech Stinger).

By the way, on this web page you'll find a few handy DIY procedures, including cleaning a typical oiled aftermarket filter.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/corvette_c5_corner.htm

Dave
Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 AM
mschamberger
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by himycorvetteisa98
No one? Any one?
Thanx
Seriously? Are you really getting catty because no one posted a response between 2:30 and 4:00 AM?

I may be reading too much into this, but dang man, Google is your friend, I got 2,790 returns on "blackwing remove C5".

Originally Posted by himycorvetteisa98
thanks, but thats the installing procedure.
Here's a thought, follow the directions in reverse?

In addition to general bitching I offer a tip for the cleaning:

When I clean mine, I let the cleaning solution soak on it for at least 30 minutes. I use the sprayer in the kitchen sink for rinsing. I put the sprayer into the air hole and spray out (the sprayer works well because it's small enough to fit in the hole, and still be maneuverable) . I figured the sink sprayer has enough pressure to dislodge the dirt/oil/cleaner, but not enough to damage the filter element. Then I let it dry overnight. When re-oiling, don't over due it, in this case, less is more.

Last edited by mschamberger; 01-30-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:11 PM
NorCalVette Kid
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Dave68
Technically - no, it is not, but it is so simple to remove and install that many here in CA do the swap every 2 years (myself included, but with a Halltech Stinger).

By the way, on this web page you'll find a few handy DIY procedures, including cleaning a typical oiled aftermarket filter.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/corvette_c5_corner.htm

Dave

Thanks for the info Dave! That's a great idea!!

Get notified of new replies

To just got a c5 w/ a Donaldson BlackWing air filter,no idea how to remove & clean,help!

Quick Reply: just got a c5 w/ a Donaldson BlackWing air filter,no idea how to remove & clean,help!