Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

All the common C5 problems that GM didn't fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:24 AM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And do we all STILL love our C5s?????????????????????????????????
Old 07-14-2009, 10:25 AM
93v
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Every single car and all brands of cars have problems/tech bulletins and recalls! Corvette is no different from any of them.You can bet if it is mechanical it will have a problem sooner or later!
Have you ever visited other forums for cars and trucks? They all have problems with their cars too!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:17 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 LS7
Do you guys know how many of these issues GM solved in the C5 or C6. I have experianced the following in 2 C5's and about 150k mi.

1) Rocking seat (twice)
2) Stuck clutch pedal
3) Fuel sender malfunction (twice)
4) Oil pressure sender (twice in 1 year)
5) Wobbling harmonic balancer
6) Loose axel nut
7) Column lock

I have seen all of these issues many times here, did I miss any? or should I say did any miss me....Ha. Is it normal for a manufacturer to not address recurring problems like these over a 9 year production. I know LS2's have the same damper issue we have, I saw one last week. In spite of these issues I wouldn't trade my Vette for any other vehicle at twice the price, at least GM got rid of optispark.
There are alot of problems after looking at the posted. Some are a easy fix and others are a pain in the a--. Don't forget the wiper problem that has the wiper motor short because the drains get full with debris and water can not drain away from motor. This forum supports our love for this car but if there were not some troubles we would not be as delighted to read/see what people on the forum do to help resolve a problem.
This is why GM had it troubles. Other companies would spent millions to set up a department to get input and improvements to a product. The forum was a way to get free infor about engineering problems and ways to fix but GM jobs were not being effected and people continued to buy their product. Not enough class action suites. GM business plans were to get you to 3yr/36k and you were on your own after the warranty. GM's biggest profits came not from car sales but parts and repairs.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:26 AM
Carl M. Stapp Jr.
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl M. Stapp Jr.
You are all amateurs. Partial failure list for 02 Coupe:ECM, BCM, ABS,Traction control , Steering position indicator, alternators (3), AC compressors (2), left door ground, power window motor failure,main fuse box fire,headlights shorted out, outside thermostat probe (2 times), DRL bulb failures (7) times,rear wheel bearing, cooling fan motors (3), AC dash panel is dark, assorted fuses, tail light fell out, oil pressure senders (3), fuel gage went crazy, AC and heater controls are a pure mystery. Every electrical component except the radio has failed at one time or another. Steering column locked. Engine thermostat stuck. Overheats in the Texas summer. Memory seat has no memory. Outside mirrors will not stay in place. I bought it new; it's never been underwater. I try to budget $250 per month for repairs and parts and right now I am 19 months into the future.
I forgot about the starter failure and the air conditioner just failed this morning 7-14-09
Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Steve20
Pro

Boy, do I feel lucky--or is this what I have to look forward to?

02Z 12K no problems
05 Accord 112K replaced an ignition coil-otherwise no probs-original brakes too

Steve
Old 07-14-2009, 02:10 PM
philadd
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve20

02Z 12K no problems

Steve
Just remember that you always hear everyone on the internet talk about what problems they have. For some people, it's the reason why they're here -- to help diagnose and solve their problems. You'll rarely see someone come here just to post "Hey, it's been another 3 months without any problems. Just thought I'd share."

Every make and model has their problems. Although the Vette has it's fair share, I would hardly consider it problematic.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:23 PM
PONI ETR
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Steve20

02Z 12K no problems

Steve
Original brakes??? What, do you throw out an anchor to slow it down?
Original rotors I could see, but don't tell us original pads.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Steve20
Pro

Believe it
original pads up front, and original shoes in the rear- it's only the LX model, so it has drums in back.
2 of the original tires lasted 95K miles as well.
Car sees more than 95% highway-for example in 2007 it saw 6 round trips from NJ to FL-probably used the brakes just to get off the hwy

Steve
Old 07-15-2009, 03:27 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Default Or go to top of C5 page - "Sticky - Weights, Measurements....."

Originally Posted by Independent1
Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 PM
psint
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Too many common problems....

I've had my C5 for a little over a year. I bought it with 36,000 miles. The lumbar in the driver's seat doesn't work, the oil pressere gauge is hosed up, the gas gauge goes wild if you don't keep putting in fuel additive, the leather on the bolster has a hole rubbed in it, the seats were rocking, the windows leak water, the balancer wobbles, my climate control is all cold when set on 60 and all hot when it's set on 61. The automatic temperature control isn't automatic. The controller was dim and I had it repaired. I certainly don't expect those kind of problems to be so common on a high end car like a Corvette. I must admit the gas mileage is impressive for a car that will perform like this does but that really doesn't make up for the horribly common problems on so many cars. It's fun to drive I guess, but I'd hardly call it a "Good Car".
Old 08-16-2009, 08:03 PM
JMc
Le Mans Master

Location: "This is not a psychotic episode, but a cleansing moment of clarity."
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by psint
I've had my C5 for a little over a year. I bought it with 36,000 miles. The lumbar in the driver's seat doesn't work, the oil pressere gauge is hosed up, the gas gauge goes wild if you don't keep putting in fuel additive, the leather on the bolster has a hole rubbed in it, the seats were rocking, the windows leak water, the balancer wobbles, my climate control is all cold when set on 60 and all hot when it's set on 61. The automatic temperature control isn't automatic. The controller was dim and I had it repaired. I certainly don't expect those kind of problems to be so common on a high end car like a Corvette. I must admit the gas mileage is impressive for a car that will perform like this does but that really doesn't make up for the horribly common problems on so many cars. It's fun to drive I guess, but I'd hardly call it a "Good Car".
Dude, sounds like you're driving a vehicle that was salvaged after a flood.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:36 PM
B-Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by psint
Mine turned in to a money pit relatively quickly too - sold it after a $3,000.00 bill for idler, tensioner, A/C, harmonic balancer, etc. On the plus side my bank account is flush with green again and I got my garage space back!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:47 AM
C5lady
Instructor

Adopted my 50th Annie, Oct. 07 with 28,000 miles and have since had:

Column lock issue (solved by the CLB - thanks to the great advice I rec'd from the cool folks on the Forum)

Butt leak (left rear axle seal and differential went at same time)

Passenger window motor froze up last month

AND, just this weekend noticed key fob is working only about 50% of the time.

In spite of that, I still think my Vette is wonderful and the repairs haven't spoiled the fun one bit. I'm blessed to have a good, honest, reasonably priced, mechanic who treats the car like gold.

Last edited by C5lady; 08-17-2009 at 03:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

We have two C5s, an 03 coupe and 04 vert.

Only problems we had were the 03 had a column lock, BY PASS INSTALLED

04 had a yaw sensor problem, replaced under warranty.

No other problems
Old 08-17-2009, 08:06 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2004 Z51 coupe,38,000 miles,not a single problem,never been back to the dealer!
Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM
mdgonzalez
1st Gear

Did anyone tell you how to fix this issue, I have the same issue with my 02c5.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Carl M. Stapp Jr.
Heel & Toe

Which issue? I mentioned a lot of them in my post.

Get notified of new replies

To All the common C5 problems that GM didn't fix

Old 10-14-2014, 01:05 AM
vettelover8306
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
I'll add delaminating door panels, bad grounds, frozen head light adjusters, sport seat bladders and fittings, horn switch. That's enough for me.
oh yes I totally agree,,i have a c5 with common electrical problems,grounds,temperature door actuator seats although I love my car these are some problems that make you feel very bad as any other car,but yes I agree with you
Old 10-14-2014, 01:10 AM
vettelover8306
Racer

Originally Posted by C5lady
Adopted my 50th Annie, Oct. 07 with 28,000 miles and have since had:

Column lock issue (solved by the CLB - thanks to the great advice I rec'd from the cool folks on the Forum)

Butt leak (left rear axle seal and differential went at same time)

Passenger window motor froze up last month

AND, just this weekend noticed key fob is working only about 50% of the time.

In spite of that, I still think my Vette is wonderful and the repairs haven't spoiled the fun one bit. I'm blessed to have a good, honest, reasonably priced, mechanic who treats the car like gold.
yes that's the best part a honest and human mechanic mine is a good guy with a lot of knowledge about any car and good sense of value of money,with no expensive repairs always showing the real prize of any part no like many murderers overpricing any simple part,,
Old 10-14-2014, 01:15 AM
vettelover8306
Racer

Originally Posted by JMc
Dude, sounds like you're driving a vehicle that was salvaged after a flood.
yes I think so,sometimes it doesn't matter miles on a car just the last owner,if he or she was a car killer don't expect a very good car,some treat vettes like a tractor or freightliner yes corvette its a strong car but doesn't deserve abuse

Quick Reply: All the common C5 problems that GM didn't fix