Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Headers and X-Pipe Packages....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:04 PM
z76232
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I was thinking about getting a set of 1 3/4 set but for $13 more why wouldn't I just get the 1 7/8 to begin with? I don't have a cam or head package on it now or a super charger but I might in the future. If I don't ever get these items, will the 1 7/8 make a difference in performance?
Thanks
Dave
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Received 315 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07, '13, '15

Originally Posted by z76232
I was thinking about getting a set of 1 3/4 set but for $13 more why wouldn't I just get the 1 7/8 to begin with? I don't have a cam or head package on it now or a super charger but I might in the future. If I don't ever get these items, will the 1 7/8 make a difference in performance?
Thanks
Dave
The 1 7/8" will definitely make a difference in the future, but, is by no means necessary without upgraded cams/forced induction/etc. Ultimately, the reason to stick with the 1 3/4 is just to keep the exhaust sound down, and, more even. Higher air flow means more volume and more uneven sound, especially at lower RPMs where the engine just isn't pushing as much air through the exhaust pipes as they can handle. A proper tune is always recommended with headers, though, and a proper tune will help with sound/tone, so, that's a plus. I usually do rec that people go 1 7/8" to begin with, just in case they ever want to upgrade their vehicle to higher performance output that way they'll have the exhaust flow freedom to achieve that.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 03-03-2012, 09:11 AM
rdline
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim, I could not find on site the option for ceramic coating the headers etc. Do you have that option and how much please
Old 03-07-2012, 08:15 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

We stopped offering that.....

in my opinion offers no real value and decided it was not something we wanted to include any longer.

Lot of folks think that ceramic coating lowers engine bay temp's....pure fiction.

There is an entire engine block radiating heat in the engine bay so coating the headers has not temp value other than appearance.

Was more trouble than it was worth so decided to stop offering it all together..

Sorry,

Jim

Originally Posted by rdline
Jim, I could not find on site the option for ceramic coating the headers etc. Do you have that option and how much please
Old 07-24-2012, 05:16 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Do aftermarket LT companies offer aftermarket H pipes? I love the snap crackle and
Old 07-28-2012, 01:08 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by tbrent
Do aftermarket LT companies offer aftermarket H pipes? I love the snap crackle and
Very rarely. Most major companies utilize an X-Pipe because the X design provides a lot more air flow than an H-Pipe design, and the high flow long tube headers need that extra efficiency in the mid-pipe to function properly.

Thanks,
Matt
Old 07-29-2012, 02:47 PM
tbrent
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Winner

Originally Posted by southerncarparts
Very rarely. Most major companies utilize an X-Pipe because the X design provides a lot more air flow than an H-Pipe design, and the high flow long tube headers need that extra efficiency in the mid-pipe to function properly.

Thanks,
Matt
Hey Matt... Thank you for educating me on that... I guess I will have to get used to the idea that I will have to loose the crackle... I'll have to give you a shout when I decide to order. Thanks again!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM
bontrager
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black-Sheep
If I could find a good Corvette shop in the Pittsburgh, PA area to do the install for me, I would be all over this. This is a great price.
If not aleady mentioned try Grabiak Performance Center in New Alexandria, PA. They do performance installs and have done a complete exhaust system for a friend of mine and is very satisified.

They have done a tune up, fuel filter and a MGW short shift kit install for me.

On Wednesday they will be installing an abs coverd tunnel plate and a few other items.

Give them a call.

http://www.gpcperformance.com/
Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

I am certainly not the expert but my personal opinion is that you do not need to add headers just because you add an intake. The stock exhaust setup will support the CAI. I will say that if you are thinking of adding headers for better performance (which you will get with a set of headers) and you are getting a dyno tune, I would get the headers before the tune instead of after (otherwise you will have to pay for another tune after installing the headers). Anytime you install headers you will need to have the car tuned.

As far as sound, headers can be ordered with or without cats. Regardless, they do make your car a bit louder, without cats even louder. The degree of loudness depends on what exhaust you have installed......

Hope this makes sense...

Jim

Originally Posted by kmvp860am
Most likely dumb questions

I have a completely stock 2003 with an LS1.

I am considering getting a CAI and a Dyno Tune. My son-in-law says that since I will be getting more air in the engine that I need to let the air out to get max performance before getting the Dyno Tune. Is this true and would the headers accomplish this and is needed?
Next, if so, I don't want my car TOO LOUD...I live at a condo and park in a group garage and I don't want complaints or have my C5 banned. Does the size of the headers affect sound (loudness)?

Thanks for helping with my ignorance everyone!

Thanks,
Dan
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Glad to hear it and happy we can help...

Thanks,

Jim

Originally Posted by kmvp860am
Thanks for the info, that's what I needed!

Btw, I bought a Curb Alert from you guys and it works great. The installation vids were great.

Thumbs up to you guys
Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

We have all our Kooks Headers and Header/X-Pipes packages at the lowest prices we are allowed to offer them and free shipping in the US.

More info below...

Corvette C5 Kooks Headers

Corvette C6 Kooks Headers

Corvette C6 Z06/ZR1 Kooks Headers

Many more options on the site, with or without the Cats...

Make sure you use Coupon code "kooks" when checking out for a surprise savings

Thanks,

Jim
FWIW, I saw someone ask about fitment for an LS7 in a C5 and the answer is "yes". It can be done by requesting the correct mounting flange.
I did this several years ago and specifically asked for the LS7 flange to be welded up (it has "D" ports, not round ports). It increased delivery time a few days but Kooks was more than accomodating in taking care of this. Fit like a charm.

GLWS
Old 01-10-2013, 11:54 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
FWIW, I saw someone ask about fitment for an LS7 in a C5 and the answer is "yes". It can be done by requesting the correct mounting flange.
I did this several years ago and specifically asked for the LS7 flange to be welded up (it has "D" ports, not round ports). It increased delivery time a few days but Kooks was more than accomodating in taking care of this. Fit like a charm.

GLWS
Thanks......
Old 02-14-2013, 10:25 AM
nal3231
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I was wondering if anything comes with the c5 package deal beside's the header's and x-pipe and the clamp's? In the picture it shows hardware and gaskets but doesn't say if that's included or not, and if you need o2 extensions for the catted x-pipe? Sorry for the dumb questions, just looking for some clarification thanks.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by nal3231
Hi, I was wondering if anything comes with the c5 package deal beside's the header's and x-pipe and the clamp's? In the picture it shows hardware and gaskets but doesn't say if that's included or not, and if you need o2 extensions for the catted x-pipe? Sorry for the dumb questions, just looking for some clarification thanks.
Everything you need is included.....
Old 03-30-2014, 03:17 AM
Outlawtorn
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

Hello...Is the offroad pipe without cats a lot louder? Is it true cats rob a little power?
Old 03-30-2014, 08:08 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Outlawtorn
Hello...Is the offroad pipe without cats a lot louder? Is it true cats rob a little power?
Hi, yes, it's is somewhat louder and cats do rob a little power. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2014, 04:35 AM
Outlawtorn
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 77 Posts

[QUOTE=southerncarparts;1586581320]We have all our Kooks Headers and Header/X-Pipes packages at the lowest prices we are allowed to offer them and free shipping in the US.

If youre willing to send to Christchurch, New Zealand, I'd love a quote for 1 3/4 headers and 2.5 offroad x pipe

Get notified of new replies

To Kooks Headers and X-Pipe Packages....

Old 04-11-2014, 09:35 AM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

[QUOTE=Outlawtorn;1586582749]
We have all our Kooks Headers and Header/X-Pipes packages at the lowest prices we are allowed to offer them and free shipping in the US.

If youre willing to send to Christchurch, New Zealand, I'd love a quote for 1 3/4 headers and 2.5 offroad x pipe
Would you shoot me a PM with the full shipping address? I'll be glad to look into this.
Old 08-10-2014, 01:27 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

tried using the coupon code and didn't work, said it has already been used 16 times.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:43 PM
southerncarparts
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by zdeckich
tried using the coupon code and didn't work, said it has already been used 16 times.
It's working again

Quick Reply: Kooks Headers and X-Pipe Packages....