Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kinda' bummed....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:46 AM
tracks03
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced my runflats with the GY Eagle F1 All-Season (non-runflat) last year. I was considering the Michelin's Pilots, but this tire had just come out. Less expensive, and I've been happy with the ride and noise level ever since. I'm also particular about the asthetics of the thread pattern, too, and I liked these the best.
Check them out at this TireRack.com link:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=(Y)&minLoad=S
Old 03-19-2009, 09:57 AM
RedSoxFan
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnrunner
Am I being crazy,or what? If not...suggestions to sizes and such please.
I don't think you're being crazy, I bought the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus (not the PS2's) but I have the same complaint. They just don't look as wide. I love the tires, however the Goodyear's looked better in my opinion.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:08 AM
redrckt97
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

section width is what the numbers on the tire show - 275 is 275 mm across the widest protion of the tire -- NOT the tread width which can vary considerably even with the same section width. I have Firestones which have a "rim protector" sidewall that makes the section width pretty wide (mine are 295's) but the tread width is almost exactly the same as my old BFG-KDW's that were 275 section width ..below is copied form Tire Rack's website to explain sction width

Section Width
Following the letter(s) that identify the type of vehicle and/or type of service for which the tire was designed, the three-digit numeric portion identifies the tire's "Section Width" (cross section) in millimeters.

P225/50R16 91S

The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"
Old 03-19-2009, 10:26 AM
knyght4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnrunner
Well, finally after much contemplation,worries and investigation on the forum I decided to bite the bullet and bought the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's for my 2000 vert', stock size. They look way narrower than the stock Goodyears!! I understand the Goodyears are a "squarer" tire but still. I'm thinking about taking them back as I have not used them and moving up in size. All I have read said I won't be dissapointed with the performance. Am I being crazy,or what? If not...suggestions to sizes and such please.
I'm not sure what the concern is if the tire looks narrower. I do know that the wheels are stiffer and it feels like it'll be more suited as a DR. You may experience that the tires may not grip too well in under cooler conditions and you'll have to get the tires up to temps before they perform well. I've driven with the PS2's and they are decent in my opinion, but they have their limits with high HP (500+) cars. I got the Nitto Invo just this week and I haven't had the time to test them out. Though it looks like I can run across the ocean without any concerns
Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

You are correct that the Michelin PS2's in the stock sizes will look smaller when compared to the Stock GF Runflat, This is manly due to the fact that the Runflat has such a stiff sidewall and is squared off at the top, where the PS2's have a more rounded edge at the top. I went with 295 rear PS2's when I switched from Runflats to PS2's.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 422 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by RSchleder
I put Michelin P/S 305's on my 505a's. Plenty of tire, the 275's were a little small for me!

Peace
Chip

Old 03-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
275 is tread. While that should be the same for all brands. Some have different section widths so they would in fact look different although contact patch width would be the same.
That explains it.

Originally Posted by Vega$Vette
I really like the BFG KDWs
Same here!

-Alex

Quick Reply: Kinda' bummed....