Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modern radio C5 replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 11:48 PM
JETZ
Le Mans Master

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

...and how! Need to get a 'wheelskin', and 'caliber covers' to keep that theme going'.

frank

Originally Posted by Evil-Twin
This thread is 6 years old... that plate is a cheap filler plate... Hardly what would be considered a 2015 modernization.

Dennis at DD mods, selected this head unit for me. and I put it in on a Saturday morning. Touch Screen, Bluetooth, USB port, Hands free phone, texting, Voice assisted search and turn by turn Navigation, HD radio Sirius Radio, Pandora, Graphic Equalizer, DVD player, HD movies, and rear facing camera. This is a modern set up.

You want Corvette Logo

Old 10-27-2015, 04:54 PM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Simply replacing the head unit with a decent aftermarket single din improves the sound dramatically. The stock bose system is actually pretty good if you add a sub.

You will need to buy one of these to keep the bose speakers in order to power on the amps:
http://shop.doubledmods.com/Corvette...-roem-vet1.htm
Old 10-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Altorres
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SaberD
Simply replacing the head unit with a decent aftermarket single din improves the sound dramatically. The stock bose system is actually pretty good if you add a sub.

You will need to buy one of these to keep the bose speakers in order to power on the amps:
http://shop.doubledmods.com/Corvette...-roem-vet1.htm

Ironically enough, I was in an Audio Store Yesterday with this same issue, and the one that they wanted to sell me was 99.99 plus tax, so this option saves me some $$ on this. Thank you very much for the info and the link!!!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:56 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

Received 3,812 Likes on 1,925 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Your definition of a modern radio, is obviously not the same as mine.... I don't think you can buy a modern car today, without a touch screen. You cant buy a New Corvette without one. This is a modern radio... Now had you asked for an after market replacement, that would be a different story, but those same type replacements were available 2 generations ago... Hardly what I would call a modern upgrade.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:01 PM
Altorres
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your definition of a modern radio, is obviously not the same as mine.... I don't think you can buy a modern car today, without a touch screen. You cant buy a New Corvette without one. This is a modern radio... Now had you asked for an after market replacement, that would be a different story, but those same type replacements were available 2 generations ago... Hardly what I would call a modern upgrade.

I really did not want to add a screen on the vette. I want to go with more of a Bluetooth device, since all my music I listen to comes from those sources. But trust me; you helped me to accomplish what I wanted to do.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by Altorres
I really did not want to add a screen on the vette. I want to go with more of a Bluetooth device, since all my music I listen to comes from those sources. But trust me; you helped me to accomplish what I wanted to do.
I understand. You want more modern functionality within the radio component...you are not interested in hands free turn by turn Navigation, Phone, texting, rear camera, etc. Dennis at DD mods, one of the most down to earth and passionate vendors on this forum. He would be my choice to ask anything related to any audio upgrade. Call him, there is no obligation. he can offer you a great deal, and give you opinions, and also support after the sale... You can use him to gauge how other vendors should conduct their business and customer service.

www.doubledmods.com

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 10-27-2015 at 06:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CindysC5 (09-21-2016)
Old 10-27-2015, 11:01 PM
topdown01
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand. You want more modern functionality within the radio component...you are not interested in hands free turn by turn Navigation, Phone, texting, rear camera, etc. Dennis at DD mods, one of the most down to earth and passionate vendors on this forum. He would be my choice to ask anything related to any audio upgrade. Call him, there is no obligation. he can offer you a great deal, and give you opinions, and also support after the sale... You can use him to gauge how other vendors should conduct their business and customer service.

www.doubledmods.com
Old 01-11-2017, 02:49 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by bajapointe
I like this plate...but I'm saving up for the Double-D mod...

Here's the link however and they are able to customize the lettering for you. If you go single-din make sure you get a bluetooth capable HU and a front facing USB port. just my .02. CD player is optional too.

http://maptechenterprises.com/storef...4275c24c6cf3dc
Wow! I really like this radio plate with the Corvette branding. I am conflicted with the idea of replacing the center console and hoping that the bezel will fit the head unit choose to buy. With this solution, I can keep the stock bezel and perhaps buy a single din unit with the pop out screen for DVDs. This solution feels like one less issue to address for the DIY installation.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:14 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Just also be aware that those pop out screens will block the air vent above the radio when they open, or may block the AC controls if they open that way.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:26 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrlmd
Just also be aware that those pop out screens will block the air vent above the radio when they open, or may block the AC controls if they open that way.
Yeah, I know. That is where I am conflicted. I hate the idea of potentially butchering the existing center console in order to make a device fit into the car where I was not designed to accommodate. So, maybe a standard single DIN, non-touch screen head unit is actually the better choice overall.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:32 AM
bigcypress
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 123 Posts

whats wrong with c5 radio . guess i'll have to turn ours on again to see if it has a problem . only had radio on once in 11 years and that was 11 years ago . . . peace
Old 01-13-2017, 09:53 AM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bigcypress
whats wrong with c5 radio . guess i'll have to turn ours on again to see if it has a problem . only had radio on once in 11 years and that was 11 years ago . . . peace
There is nothing WRONG with the C5 radio at all. It's just a matter of adding some new technology to the car. The updated radios would add some interesting technology to an already great car. Things like; back-up camera, DVD, bluetooth, turn-by-turn GPS, USB, touch screen technology, etc.

The newer radios have some needed, and relatively easy to add enhancements to the C5. Enhancements that the C6 and C7 already have. The question is, do I want to do what is needed in order to do the upgrade.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

Originally Posted by gpruitt54
Wow! I really like this radio plate with the Corvette branding. I am conflicted with the idea of replacing the center console and hoping that the bezel will fit the head unit choose to buy. With this solution, I can keep the stock bezel and perhaps buy a single din unit with the pop out screen for DVDs. This solution feels like one less issue to address for the DIY installation.
Here we have a 80" solution to a filler plate, Best Buys, Walmart, etc sells these. and they work, ( to fill the gap. )

A much more modern " fillerplate".. it takes that 90's look into the new millenium

If you want to make your car feel fresh and get it out of the 90's
I thought this would be the way to go. Everyone has a smart phone, but its illegal in most Sates to use one while driving. Its nice to be able to answer a phone call, hands free, find the nearest gas station, hand free, via turn by turn audible navigation assist. Some one said these modern units blind you at night?????? Clueless.. these units all dim at night. I don't think for one minute that those oppose to this upgrade don't see the value in it, what I do thing is they either cant afford it, or still have their recess money. I can understand not being able to afford it, especially with higher priorities , kids, education, feeding your family etc. There is no reason to trash, something that not only makes your car look and fee fresh, there is a level of safety that comes along with hands free communication.. I've had people are with me when I tell them my car is 16 years old...their argument, when they look inside is
" They didn't have built in Navigation screens 16 years ago.

This is one of the absolute best upgrades you can do to a C5, especially if you plan to keep it. It looks fantastic and has ten times the functionality of the Bose unit

Just my personal thoughts after doing the research.

Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-13-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:19 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

Here we have a 80" solution to a filler plate, Best Buys, Walmart, etc sells these. and they work, ( to fill the gap. )

A much more modern " fillerplate".. it takes that 90's look into the new millenium

If you want to make your car feel fresh and get it out of the 90's
I thought this would be the way to go. Everyone has a smart phone, but its illegal in most Sates to use one while driving. Its nice to be able to answer a phone call, hands free, find the nearest gas station, hand free, via turn by turn audible navigation assist. Some one said these modern units blind you at night?????? Clueless.. these units all dim at night. I don't think for one minute that those oppose to this upgrade don't see the value in it, what I do thing is they either cant afford it, or still have their recess money. I can understand not being able to afford it, especially with higher priorities , kids, education, feeding your family etc. There is no reason to trash, something that not only makes your car look and fee fresh, there is a level of safety that comes along with hands free communication.. I've had people are with me when I tell them my car is 16 years old...their argument, when they look inside is
" They didn't have built in Navigation screens 16 years ago.

This is one of the absolute best upgrades you can do to a C5, especially if you plan to keep it. It looks fantastic and has ten times the functionality of the Bose unit

Just my personal thoughts after doing the research.

Bill aka ET
I agree with you in that adding a new head unit brings with it lots of great tech, as well as safety. I certainly want to add a touch screen to replace my Bose head unit. For me it is a matter of finances. However, in an earlier thread, I discovered that DD Mods will be carrying a very attractively priced C5 Double DIN sized console bezel. If this price holds, I would be able to do the upgrade. But, a $400+ center console bezel would make this upgrade out of my range.

Where and how did you get the C5 graphic on the screen.

Last edited by gpruitt54; 01-13-2017 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

two things are a must for me, hands free calling (even though I don't talk on the phone much) and a USB port. I don't listen to the radio, I want music, all my favorites are on the USB drive and if I don't want a particular song bump to the next !!!
Old 01-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

I agree with you in that adding a new head unit brings with it lots of great tech, as well as safety. I certainly want to add a touch screen to replace my Bose head unit. For me it is a matter of finances. However, in an earlier thread, I discovered that DD Mods will be carrying a very attractively priced C5 Double DIN sized console bezel. If this price holds, I would be able to do the upgrade. But, a $400+ center console bezel would make this upgrade out of my range.

I'm fairly sure that Dennis does not charge 400 dollars to modify your existing bezel. it requires you remove it box it up and send it to him..IM thinking its about 200 ( maybe a little less ) to have it modified. I sent mine to him and I know I did not pay anywhere near 400 for the bezel.. IN fact , he has packages which include the head unit all the wiring and adapters, and including the bezel modification. The only down side to this is you have to run around without the bezel. I fabricated a cardboard bezel while mine was out for modification. Painted it satin black, and it hid all the shiny silver framework and wires normally hidden by the bezel

Just a heads up an option
Bill aka ET

AS far as the boot up screen I designed that myself in Photoshop turned it into a bit map, and uploaded it to the Head unit.. I made a couple different ones.

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-13-2017 at 03:40 PM.
gpruitt54 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 04:17 PM
gpruitt54
Burning Brakes

I'm fairly sure that Dennis does not charge 400 dollars to modify your existing bezel. it requires you remove it box it up and send it to him..IM thinking its about 200 ( maybe a little less ) to have it modified. I sent mine to him and I know I did not pay anywhere near 400 for the bezel.. IN fact , he has packages which include the head unit all the wiring and adapters, and including the bezel modification. The only down side to this is you have to run around without the bezel. I fabricated a cardboard bezel while mine was out for modification. Painted it satin black, and it hid all the shiny silver framework and wires normally hidden by the bezel

Just a heads up an option
Bill aka ET

AS far as the boot up screen I designed that myself in Photoshop turned it into a bit map, and uploaded it to the Head unit.. I made a couple different ones.

For the graphic background, what bitmap format works best; PNG, JPG, GIF, ect?

Yes, I had very enjoyable conversation with Dennis this morning. We will be working on a solution that fits within my budget. I live in the Midwest, which means I will not be driving the car for several months. I am going to box up the center console and send it to Dennis for him to work his magic on it.

We are also taking about my needs in a double DIN head unit in order to sync with my needs vs. budget.

This is working out nicely in that I did not think I would be able to do this in the short term due to the cost of some things. However, Dennis seems to have some attractive solutions that fit into my price points. I will be keeping my factory speakers as I live with this initial upgrade.

Last edited by gpruitt54; 01-13-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Rabbitman (01-19-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Modern radio C5 replacement?

Old 01-13-2017, 04:24 PM
Pounder
1/4 mile/AutoX
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,635 Posts

Yes, I had very enjoyable conversation with Dennis this morning. We will be working on a solution that fits within my budget. I live in the Midwest, which means I will not be driving the car for several months. I am going to box up the center console and send it to Dennis for him to work his magic on it.

We are also taking about my needs in a double DIN head unit in order to sync with my needs vs. budget.

This is working out nicely in that I did not think I would be able to do this in the short term due to the cost of some things. However, Dennis seems to have some attractive solutions that fit into my price points. I will be keeping my factory speakers as I live with this initial upgrade.
gpruitt54 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Evil-Twin
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '03-'04

IM happy I was able to help you with the option of having Dennis modify your bezel and save you a few hundred dollars.

I told you I designed them in Photoshop I then converted them to BMP which is the format. mydesignfile.bmp
FYI a bitmap, is a raster graphics image file format used to store bitmap digital images.

The boot screen will only accept a bitmap file format. Bitmaps transfer to DIB files internally.
A device-independent bitmap (DIB) is a format used to define device-independent bitmaps in various color resolutions. The main purpose of DIBs is to allow bitmaps to be moved from one device to another.
Also each manufacturer has very specific parameters for their boot screen. when you make your own design, it has to be the same resolution.

Since you asked me what bitmap format I used, png, jpg, etc.. you obviously did not know that bmp is a format,, \\ you can use a bit map converter, or have someone make you a file,

you then have to access the HU boot screen, then upload that bmp file next to the default boot screen file, and change the default.to your own file so when the HU boots up it boots up using your file..
There is no easy way top do this. You just cant be another pretty face.

TMI ?
Bill aka ET

Last edited by Evil-Twin; 01-13-2017 at 05:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Evil-Twin:
DrRaySomeDay (10-24-2018), gpruitt54 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 12:28 PM
MikeyMcFly
Burning Brakes

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

At some point in its life, mine went in for a stereo install.

Attachment 48128229
Attachment 48128230

It sounds decent enough, but the HU (Kenwood DDX-7015) is older and honestly the WORST HU I've ever dealt with. I had a Pioneer AVIC-D3 in my STi which was available around the same time, was half the price and is 10X better.

The amp/sub setup is kinda cool, although a bit showy for my tastes. My original plan when I was Vette shopping was a Basslink to allow for the hatch to still be used as storage. That being said, it sounded pretty decent.

A solid unit that supports CarPlay / Android auto is the way to go.

Last edited by MikeyMcFly; 01-26-2018 at 11:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Modern radio C5 replacement?