Sponsored by:

What to do? The feel is fading.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:36 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 518 Likes on 315 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

Originally Posted by z0sleeper
I say keep it
I'm pretty near you in age, and I've got back problems, serious kind and very painful. But despite that, I would never feel right if I didn't have my 2003 50th AE coupe. It's just part of me and if it doesn't move for two weeks at a time, I still love to just go out and sit in it ! the thrill might be wanning, but I'm not !
Old 04-20-2009, 12:32 AM
Mile High C5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's the new girl problem. Men always want what they don't have. I lusted so much for a C5...then after 5 years, I sometimes start to look at other girls and wonder why the feeling isn't the same. I think men are programed that way, and it's not just cars. I have gone through so many fascinations in my life (I'm late 40's so a little behind you, but suspect the next 30 years will be the same). I have gotten fanatical about almost every possesson in my life. Motorcycle racing, bicycles, guns, sport bikes, Harleys, Vettes, 4x4's ..... you name it. Each time the it consumed me and I reseached it to death, spent money out of all logic and then ..... didn't every lose interest....but the initial love and passion faded. It's that way with my C5, but I decided it's a life-long love and I can't part with it.....No C6, and even if the C7 (GM being around pending) will make me sell it. I will always keep the C5 to remind me of what my first Corvette was like. Anyone else think like me???

Originally Posted by diyguy
I've had 2 C5's over the last 5 years and just absolutely love my 2000 Nassau Blue one. When clean and pretty'd up, nothing brings a smile better than to just look at it and go for a drive to nowhere and back.

But, something is going on and not sure what it is. I don't seem to have the same enthusiasm I used to. The weather is getting great now and I should be all juiced up - get it all cleaned up and do the full claybar, polish, wax thing but it's just not there.

I still love to drive it on the highway and amaze myself at the comfort on extended drives and the incredible 30+ MPG it gets. But those trips seem to get fewer and fewer and end up taking the Tahoe instead. (more room, quieter and more visable in traffic)

At nearly 62 now, it is constant every time I get in and out that this is really more like crawling in and out of a box on the floor. It isn't all that easy getting into and out of it. And, with the Doc saying I need new hips installed sooner or later (OEM's are shot), there is even some actual discomfort involved occasionally and I know it will be a long rehab as they wont do um both at the same time.

I can't see myself without it on the one hand...On the ohter can't afford to keep the C5, and my Tahoe around. Money isn't an issue as they both were paid in full when I got them. I've noticed I look more at other cars now too. The CTS, or STS are consuming some thought.....

Sort of like a relationship that is starting to go on the rocks. One starts to look around and wonder what it would be like to get into that other one! :

HUM...what to do?
Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 AM
AIKMAN8
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should get rid of the Vette because you are not doing it any justice feeling about it the way you do and go join the minivan forum!!!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 551 Likes on 235 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Okay, I haven't read ALL the responses but there are a lot of variables to consider here.

A lot of them have to do with less about your physical issues, but also about your personality and "normal" patterns....

Do you get bored easily? Are you able to stay with one woman for long? Do you yearn for change? What is your longevity threshold???

I can certainly understand physical challenges in entering and exiting a Corvette....oh yes....

But there is also an understandable desire for something different....no reason to feel bad about that. Change your ride.....for as long as you can stand it....you can always come back to a Corvette.

But....you've had THIS car for awhile.....it's getting to be old hat regardless of what it really is.

Gaining more HP will only help for awhile.

Get another color.....or a C6, ....something modified both visually and engine-wise that you like.

Pretty much just anything DIFFERENT.....time to revive yourself....you still got it man....yer just tired of the same ride...nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 AM
3GenVettes
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

You have framed the original issue well in your first post. You have spoken with passion about your car guy mindset in a later post. There have been a variety of thoughtful responses as well as some glib answers. I'm close to your age but you've got me be a few. Health issues come up and will color the decisions we make. If the hip issue has reached the degree to substantially impair the fun factor of the vette, it is probably time for a change. Keeping the fun factor in life is more important than keeping the vette.

For myself I have a couple of vettes, an SUV for its all around usefulness and a CTS. The CTS or the STS is a very nice car. With hip issues I would recommend the STS over the CTS.

But there is one factor that I have not noticed mentioned that I will throw into the hopper for your thought process. The Corvette is more than a car, it has a community of car enthusiasts attached to it like no other car. The gatherings, the shared experiences, the places, such as this forum, that surround the vette are just not equal with any other car. Perhaps the fun factor is diminishing, and as you said you can and should continue to participate here even if you do decide to give it up.

I know your a car guy when it is a tough decision as to selling or keeping a car. For you and the rest of us, it is not merely an appliance for transportation.

Best wishes in your decision.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:12 AM
6 Shooter
Melting Slicks

Received 1,203 Likes on 679 Posts

Default YEP - A 2009 Cadillac CTS-V High Performance Luxury Sedan will do it for ya!

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter
Old 04-20-2009, 08:58 AM
DBRASUE
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

30+mpg????
Old 04-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Red Rochester
Le Mans Master

Received 255 Likes on 135 Posts

Thats true with everything must be time for a new C6
Old 04-20-2009, 12:51 PM
The Dark Knight
Instructor

How about getting hydraulics to raise it up when you need to get in and out of it. Maybe get it linked to your remote so when you unlock it, the car raises for you. My dad had his hip replaced and still has a lot of trouble getting in and out of my C5. Other that that he gets around pretty good. Don't give up the Vette man, just make it adapt to you. Good luck
Old 04-21-2009, 07:33 AM
gorghamak
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14
Default 30 mpg +

at 70 on xway my c5 does 30mpg+
gorghamak
Old 04-21-2009, 10:43 AM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
My dad had his hip replaced and still has a lot of trouble getting in and out of my C5. Other that that he gets around pretty good. Don't give up the Vette man, just make it adapt to you. Good luck
Well, the after surgery problems are one consideration. The other is it will be 6-9 months before I can even think about getting back in it again. They do one hip, wait 3 months then do the other side.

So the pragmatic thought and logistics come into play. 1.) It will be out of service for quite awhile and 2.) I keep seeing the values of these cars hitting rock bottom prices, so if I wait say a year, then find it is just to difficult, I would loose a sizeable chunk of money out of the deal.

On the other hand... if all goes well, and there are no significant issues, the C6 will then be easily in range. Yeah - I know it's not a C5, which is the most beautiful car ever, but the C6 is the next logical move in the evolutionary chain of events.

I'll still never forget how many times, I have just sat and looked at it from every angle and admire just how wonderful this car looks.

A new owner will hopefully have as much fun, learning experience, and be equally as appreciative of the C5 as well.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:57 PM
robbyd831
Burning Brakes

i think its pretty funny..i duno stop an think about it for a second....
your 62 years old..maybe its time to move on.

corvette is sports car...its meant 2 be drivin by a younger crowd.

my dad is 62 cant picture him driving my car
he drove a gto when he was younger..now that he is older he drives a lexus

Quick Reply: What to do? The feel is fading.....