Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do? The feel is fading.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:30 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Default What to do? The feel is fading.....

I've had 2 C5's over the last 5 years and just absolutely love my 2000 Nassau Blue one. When clean and pretty'd up, nothing brings a smile better than to just look at it and go for a drive to nowhere and back.

But, something is going on and not sure what it is. I don't seem to have the same enthusiasm I used to. The weather is getting great now and I should be all juiced up - get it all cleaned up and do the full claybar, polish, wax thing but it's just not there.

I still love to drive it on the highway and amaze myself at the comfort on extended drives and the incredible 30+ MPG it gets. But those trips seem to get fewer and fewer and end up taking the Tahoe instead. (more room, quieter and more visable in traffic)

At nearly 62 now, it is constant every time I get in and out that this is really more like crawling in and out of a box on the floor. It isn't all that easy getting into and out of it. And, with the Doc saying I need new hips installed sooner or later (OEM's are shot), there is even some actual discomfort involved occasionally and I know it will be a long rehab as they wont do um both at the same time.

I can't see myself without it on the one hand...On the ohter can't afford to keep the C5, and my Tahoe around. Money isn't an issue as they both were paid in full when I got them. I've noticed I look more at other cars now too. The CTS, or STS are consuming some thought.....

Sort of like a relationship that is starting to go on the rocks. One starts to look around and wonder what it would be like to get into that other one! :

HUM...what to do?
Old 04-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple... Add more horsepower
Old 04-02-2009, 03:45 PM
R Devil
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand what your saying. I've had mine since it was new in 98. Now with 4 other vehicles and the yearly pain of putting it into storage every winter, the "thrill" isn't what it used to be.

I've thought of sending it back to live with one of my sons in Arizona but then I go for a drive and snap back to reality. I know I'd regret getting rid of it.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:46 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Robls6
Old 04-02-2009, 03:47 PM
vetter79
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by diyguy
I've had 2 C5's over the last 5 years and just absolutely love my 2000 Nassau Blue one. When clean and pretty'd up, nothing brings a smile better than to just look at it and go for a drive to nowhere and back.

But, something is going on and not sure what it is. I don't seem to have the same enthusiasm I used to. The weather is getting great now and I should be all juiced up - get it all cleaned up and do the full claybar, polish, wax thing but it's just not there.

I still love to drive it on the highway and amaze myself at the comfort on extended drives and the incredible 30+ MPG it gets. But those trips seem to get fewer and fewer and end up taking the Tahoe instead. (more room, quieter and more visable in traffic)

At nearly 62 now, it is constant every time I get in and out that this is really more like crawling in and out of a box on the floor. It isn't all that easy getting into and out of it. And, with the Doc saying I need new hips installed sooner or later (OEM's are shot), there is even some actual discomfort involved occasionally and I know it will be a long rehab as they wont do um both at the same time.

I can't see myself without it on the one hand...On the ohter can't afford to keep the C5, and my Tahoe around. Money isn't an issue as they both were paid in full when I got them. I've noticed I look more at other cars now too. The CTS, or STS are consuming some thought.....

Sort of like a relationship that is starting to go on the rocks. One starts to look around and wonder what it would be like to get into that other one! :

HUM...what to do?
Ya know, I'm 65 now w/ a 99 C5. Even tho it can be a pain in the As! to get in (had my knees replaced), once I'm in there I feel as tho I've gone back to 1966 and my 1st 64 vert.
When I head south (underground ), hopefully my son will appreciate it as much as I!
Old 04-02-2009, 03:49 PM
army2000
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Sounds like you got a serious problem. I recommend you load up the C5 on a flatbed and send it my way. I'll make sure it stays in pristine condition and never gets mistreated for the rest of it natural life.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:53 PM
jaygood
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sell the Tahoe and the c5 and buy a ZR1
Old 04-02-2009, 03:58 PM
BenC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have a tough one diyguy, and I can feel your pain.

I had sold my 7th streetbike two Octobers ago, after 20 years of riding and 200,000+ miles, I had to give it up, was just too dangerous nowadays with not only cell phones and texters but GPS-lookers, no chance on a bike with people who don't even look at the road. I used to love the streetbike. Traffic was never an issue as I was "on the bike". I'd ride in the rain, the cold, anywhere and everywhere, I was hardcore but now I'm nomore.

I sold my dirtbike last month. The trusty Honda CR500R that in all the trail-riding I did, never let me down. Like the streetbike, I had loved dirtbiking. No speed limits, no other cars or bikes on the trail, just all manner of woods fun, but, no more. No more places close by to ride. No more buddies that have bikes anymore, it is almost sad. It is why I now have a Corvette.

I don't miss the streetbikes as much as I thought I would, instead, I bought a new ocean-going fishing boat so that takes up all my time and I love it. I don't miss the dirtbike either as between the Vette and the boat, I wouldn't have any time for either of them. I think it is my evolution, possibly maturing, mostly the chance to do different things and am glad I still can, do the things I do, that is. I still have the snowmobile to get me through the winters and between the Corvette and the boat, they more than make up for either the dirtbike or the streetbike. After all, combined, I could have bought about 10 streetbikes AND 10 dirtbikes now that I think about it.

You can always look at it this way too, get the CTS or the STS, heck, get whatever you want, there will always be Corvette's for sale and if you want to get back in, you can. That is the way I looked at it and I don't think I'll go back but if I do, I'm getting a nice quiet 4-stroke.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:03 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 811 Posts

With hip issues time to get out of the Vette and into a CTS-V
Old 04-02-2009, 05:14 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Same age as you,,it's not a problem for me though! A suggestion,,,take it out to test and tune night a few times,,,,nothing like foot to the floor 110 mph blast through the traps to refresh the spirits!!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Robls6
Old 04-02-2009, 05:48 PM
z0sleeper
Racer

I say keep it
Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm only 58 and in relatively good shape. I too, love my 1998 Nassau Metallic Blue C5.

I have looked at the CTS to replace my Impala. A 550 HP CTS could possibly make you forget about your C5, if you are having those thoughts.

I have 4 cars for 2 drivers, do what you want (and can afford).
Old 04-02-2009, 07:35 PM
mnfmkf
Pro

Do what other 62 year olds with bad hips do....

OPTION # 1 FIX THE HIPS

2 THAs + about $50,000 - $75,000

OPTION #2

1. Buy a 55-57 Chevy with a LS7 or Huffed BBC ($50,000 -UP )

2. Get some greasy old T-shirts. ( FREE )

3. Buy a lawn chair and go to cruise-ins. ( about $6.00 + fuel )

The total effect Priceless

PS the Portland SWAP Meet is this weekend and you could get started on that street rod you have always wanted ??

Mike

Portland Oregon

Last edited by mnfmkf; 04-02-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,000 Likes on 5,368 Posts

Originally Posted by mnfmkf
Do what other 62 year olds with bad hips do....

OPTION # 1 FIX THE HIPS

2 THAs + about $50,000 - $75,000
You will need to replace them sooner or later anyways so might as well bite the bullet and get them replaced when your body can stand it better. Then enjoy the car. I am 67 and track my car on a regular basis. If you think the car is great when its shiny and put putting around town you should feel how great it makes you feel when you power out of a corner onto a straight and hit 130 mph before the next braking zone. The adrenaline rush and enforphin release just makes your body feel like its 25 again. It really feels good when you pass the guys in their Ferrari's and Porsche's and you know you spent a lot less money to get better performance.

Bill
Old 04-02-2009, 07:48 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It will all work out for the best for you good luck with any decision you make
Old 04-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Munch
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by peter pan
With hip issues time to get out of the Vette and into a CTS-V
You take that back! I have only had my Vette since Nov and am writing this from a hospital bed right now becuase I just had my right hip replaced. I have no doubt I'll be back driving her in no time!

Get notified of new replies

To What to do? The feel is fading.....

Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 PM
WildTurkey
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think some MODS can fix that
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Munch
You take that back! I have only had my Vette since Nov and am writing this from a hospital bed right now becuase I just had my right hip replaced. I have no doubt I'll be back driving her in no time!

Please DO keep me up-to-date on your progress.....
Old 04-02-2009, 09:06 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I got some i-Forged wheels for my 04! It makes it feel and look all new again!

Quick Reply: What to do? The feel is fading.....