Sponsored by:

Convertible wind break?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 AM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Convertible wind break?

I'm interested in feedback from C5 convertible owners that are using the windbreak while cruising with the top down. The new "poly" ones sell for $350-$400 so it's a fairly expensive item. I'm willing to spend the money as I think my wife would enjoy the top down a lot more if the wind were managed a bit. Do they really help, in town?, on the highway? Would you spend the $$ on one again? Thanks in advance for you opinion. Ron
Old 06-08-2009, 08:04 AM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Hey Ron

We get nothing but positive feeback from our customers on the VetteNet
http://www.customcorvetteaccessories.com/vettenet.html

Peace
Chip

Last edited by CCA Corvette Parts; 06-08-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:33 AM
ecoman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 06-08-2009, 09:14 AM
shtudwn
Advanced

I really like mine. But its just me now so I don't really use it. I really does do a nice job of the back wind. I'm thinking of selling mine if you are still looking.

Dan
Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,680 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

As a verte owner, this product has always made me scratch my head. Doesn't it effectively do the same thing as the halo on a coupe? If so, why not just buy a coupe instead of a verte and drive with the roof off?

I enjoy driving top down and part of the fun iof owning a verte is the feeling of the wind blowing around and the open air experience. Grant it, if I'm going to drive the interstate at 70+ MPH, I will usually not drive top down even though I've seen some people drive top down/windows up which IMO defeats the purpose.

My advise...buy a real cool hat!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Can the top be put up with the vettenet in place or does it need to be removed first?
Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Stomp'N'Go
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one, I'm not sure of the brand. It is plexiglass with a tube frame and I notice a difference when it is on. At interstate speeds I'll roll the windows up and it's pretty smooth and quiet. What I don't like about it is that it will move in it's mounts and push back against the deck lid. If the seat is all the way back it will hit it and move it around. It looks cool though and it works pretty good..
Old 06-08-2009, 03:29 PM
CCA Corvette Parts
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08,-'13-'14, '16-'17

Originally Posted by Dalannex
Can the top be put up with the vettenet in place or does it need to be removed first?
Has to be removed to put up the top.

I am not aware of any on the market that stay on the car when the top goes up.

Peace
Chip
Old 06-08-2009, 03:50 PM
mrgil
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Vette net

Originally Posted by Willfulone
Hey Ron

Peace
Chip
Chip is right on I really like mine and the Wifey thinks it's great. The brackets that come with it SUCK! You have to remove everything to put the top up, and everytime you handle the darn thing you add more scratches. I'm the process of having my prototye brackets made so you can leave it in when raising and lowering the top.
Note to Chip... I will send you some pics and a drawing when I've finalized the design
mrgil

Last edited by mrgil; 06-08-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-09-2009, 09:17 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I have one. I personally would not buy it again, if I had the choice. The only time I use it, is when my wife is riding with me. She hates the wind. It does not really help me any. I am 6'2"", and my head is above the wind screen.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:41 PM
mrgil
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by csdunaway
I have one. I personally would not buy it again, if I had the choice. The only time I use it, is when my wife is riding with me. She hates the wind. It does not really help me any. I am 6'2"", and my head is above the wind screen.
Ain't it funny how most women don't share our enthusiasm for these fine Automobiles!!!
mrgil
Old 06-09-2009, 12:52 PM
87 Ragtop
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
CI X Blind Auto-X Champ

It usually isn't bad for me unless there is a strong cross wind, then I'll just put the window up if it's bothering me. Only at interstate + Speeds though
Old 06-09-2009, 03:01 PM
ToplessBlonde
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I am 5'5" female and I have one. On the plus side - It really does help to eliminate some of the wind. On the minus, and this is a big one, the brackets to secure it don't stay in place and the screen ends up vibrating against the tonneau cover. My car's previous owner scratched the car up by using it. I tried it once or twice, but stopped after I noticed the resulting damage to the lid.

Chip...if you can come up with a better design to keep the thing secure, you'd make a lot of people happy.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:48 PM
rickko
Drifting

They work great! Best feature is, you can talk to your passenger at freeway speeds without yelling (and the wind break of course). It can easily be removed if you need to put the top up and stowed in the trunk, or right across the front seats if you are running into a store and want to put up your top while away from the car.

Oh, one other feature. On cold nights with the heater on you can drive with the top down and still feel the heat in the cockpit as you travel down the freeway.

If you haven't bought one yet but decide too, I've got one to sell (I'm selling my vette soon so don't need it.) It is in perfect condition. I got it directly from Vette Net Inc. PM me for more info if interested. They are worth their price in comfort.

..rickko..
Old 06-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Stomp'N'Go
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Willfulone
Hey Ron

Peace
Chip
That's the one I've got
Old 06-09-2009, 07:39 PM
JerzeyJoe
Burning Brakes

Leave the wife home, take the girlfriend!
Old 07-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Sportysturgeon
Cruising

Default Did you make new brackets?

Originally Posted by mrgil
Chip is right on I really like mine and the Wifey thinks it's great. The brackets that come with it SUCK! You have to remove everything to put the top up, and everytime you handle the darn thing you add more scratches. I'm the process of having my prototye brackets made so you can leave it in when raising and lowering the top.
Note to Chip... I will send you some pics and a drawing when I've finalized the design
mrgil
Hey mr Gil, I am wondering if you made new brackets, I bought the vette net and the brackets move a little bit, thanks!
Lorna

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible wind break?

Old 07-14-2014, 11:43 AM
GREENKAR
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 112 Posts

I have one from Corvette Mods. It is one that you leave in and looks great and works great. Does not get in the way of anything. Cost $400. With the windows up it's almost like having the top up. At hiway speeds it works very well. No problem with brackets or install. It was because my wife didn't like getting blown away.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:01 PM
FormerlyFiero
Pro

Oldtimer

Wow, this is an oldie I have a Wind Restrictor in my Vert. I can drive 70+ top and windows down and don't lose my flat cap. Unrestricted view and it doesn't have to be removed to put the top up. I had a C5 coupe before the vert, it's absolutely nothing like the halo and huge backglass. All the wind and noise of a convertible, 1/3 the view.

Old 07-14-2014, 02:27 PM
ironranger
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I purchased the VetteNet last year and would do it again. My wife and I like it because we have the option to put it in or not. Around town we don't, however if we are going a distance on the highway we will put it in and it cuts down the wind considerably. My wife likes it! I have the vinyl case for it so when it is not being used it does not get scratched up and fits nicely in the trunk. If I tighten it down firmly it does not rub against the body, but mine is fairly new and hasn't had alot of use to this point.
It only takes 1-2 minutes to put in or take out.
If you're looking to do something to alleviate the wind your choices are the VetteNet (remove) or the Wind Restrictor (leave in). They are both close in price!

Quick Reply: Convertible wind break?