Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

real carbon fiber not hydrocarbon windshield cowl?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 06:17 PM
NAZTY Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default real carbon fiber not hydrocarbon windshield cowl?????

does anybody know who makes a real carbon fiber windshield cowl not that hydrocarbon bs painted stuff. I have the hydrocarbon but the paint is bubling and cracking on it and it is starting to look like SH** some one please tell me who makes the real deal
Old 06-23-2009, 01:48 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=48522&dept_id=1358

I saw this a while back... have no idea if it is a good piece or not. I never understood the hydrocarbon stuff. Over the years I have offended quite a few (and don't care) but even the "good" stuff is fake and it looks fake. Unfortunately there aren't many options for the real stuff out there that isn't just crazy expensive.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:45 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redls1gto
http://ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=48522&dept_id=1358

I saw this a while back... have no idea if it is a good piece or not. I never understood the hydrocarbon stuff. Over the years I have offended quite a few (and don't care) but even the "good" stuff is fake and it looks fake. Unfortunately there aren't many options for the real stuff out there that isn't just crazy expensive.
West Coast Corvettes (also a forum vendor) sells the same one for $229.

APSIS USA makes one too - not sure of the price. It's a stock one wrapped in CF.

The WCC/Eckler's one only covers what you see when you have the hood closed, but the fitment is quite good apparently. "Funn One" and he LOVES it. The Apsis piece is full coverage, though "NemesisC5" has one and he said the fitment isn't great behind the brake booster. Also, the CF wrap makes it less flexible. Someone on the C6 board has a CF cowl that had some yellowing problems after exposure to UV - don't know which version that was.

Where did you buy the hydro one? I used to poopoo hydro CF too until I saw the stuff flasunshine1 puts out. I have real CF visible on my car in several places (MCM hood, GT3 seats, side pillars), and I also am very picky/discerning, but the BPP scoops that Pat did for me in CF hydro look FANTASTIC!!
Old 06-23-2009, 08:16 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

TKO performance also sells one that apparantly is a full cover. I've been on the phone with them a number of times and am still waiting for them to get one in the shop to take a picture for me! They usually ship directly from the manufacturer and don't have any on hand. They called the manufacturer for me too but they couldn't provide hi-res pictures. I guess this is the waiting game!

Old 06-23-2009, 08:53 AM
JohnTheStigGalt
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://store.tkoperformance.com/engine1.html

Looks the same as the WCC one...
Old 06-23-2009, 08:55 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SeaLawyer
http://store.tkoperformance.com/engine1.html

Looks the same as the WCC one...
Haha yea I know, that's a stock photo that they said they just had up for the website. That's why I'm still waiting for actual pictures of the piece from either TKO or the manufacturer!
Old 06-23-2009, 09:28 AM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

My son has this piece on his Vette. He purchased it from West Coast Corvettes. It's been on his car for at least 2 years and still looks great.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:33 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5 4 ME
My son has this piece on his Vette. He purchased it from West Coast Corvettes. It's been on his car for at least 2 years and still looks great.
Any idea if it covers just the flat area visible when the hood is closed or also where the vents are under the hood?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:38 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CUlookin
Any idea if it covers just the flat area visible when the hood is closed or also where the vents are under the hood?
Here's a link to the WCC product that the earlier poster mentioned. It supposed to be a real carbon fiber cover that you stick on your OEM piece. It looks like it only covers the top section and not the lower vents. It can be seen when the hood is closed.

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-6...owl-cover.aspx
Old 06-23-2009, 09:58 AM
Dominic Toretto
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Apsis is the only online forum vendor I know of that makes genuine CF stuff. may want to shoot them a pm, they can do pretty much anything from what I have seen.

-Alex
Old 06-23-2009, 10:57 AM
apsisusa
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 605 Likes on 409 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by AlexSmith
Apsis is the only online forum vendor I know of that makes genuine CF stuff. may want to shoot them a pm, they can do pretty much anything from what I have seen.

-Alex

Yes, we do have the Real Carbon Windshield Cowl. The entire pc is all wrapped with carbon including the vent area. You got to see it in person to appreciate it. This item is extremely difficult to make but when finished it really looks nice. It's pricey but you get what you pay for.

Here is the direct link to our web that you can see some nice pictures-------

http://www.apsisusa.com/Lamination%2...20Exterior.htm
Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

WCC cover.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:41 AM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by apsisusa
Yes, we do have the Real Carbon Windshield Cowl. The entire pc is all wrapped with carbon including the vent area. You got to see it in person to appreciate it. This item is extremely difficult to make but when finished it really looks nice. It's pricey but you get what you pay for.

Here is the direct link to our web that you can see some nice pictures-------

http://www.apsisusa.com/Lamination%2...20Exterior.htm

Please PM me a price. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2009, 02:32 PM
XLR8BYU
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't Greg have this piece on his car? I remember him picking it up from WCC at Carlisle last year....PM Yellooh and he see.
I think Evil C5 has it has well...
Old 06-23-2009, 03:11 PM
NAZTY Z
Racer

Default Wow

ok so thanks for all the input guys The apsis piece is just more than I am willing to spend on this I just cant justify that kind of cost with no performance gain, I could add a nitrous system with all the bells and whistles for half the price. I am sure it is very nice looking but I have a lot of carbon fiber in my engine bay (the real deal not the painted) and all of it would not add up to the price of that piece. I am sure it has to do with how tricky that piece is to wrap but WOW is all I could say. if you guys know of anybody else please let me know but I think I may just end up painting it black now
Old 06-23-2009, 03:13 PM
NAZTY Z
Racer

and I do think the WCC piece looks nice but it did not last for me for some reason was only on the car a couple of years and my car is not driven a ton nor is driven in ba weather and the finish just went down hill very quick
Old 06-23-2009, 03:19 PM
YELLOHHH
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NAZTY Z
does anybody know who makes a real carbon fiber windshield cowl not that hydrocarbon bs painted stuff. I have the hydrocarbon but the paint is bubling and cracking on it and it is starting to look like SH** some one please tell me who makes the real deal
Originally Posted by NAZTY Z
and I do think the WCC piece looks nice but it did not last for me for some reason was only on the car a couple of years and my car is not driven a ton nor is driven in ba weather and the finish just went down hill very quick

The WCC piece is NOT hydrocarbon print, it is real laminated carbon fiber. It is just a cover though. It lays on top of the factory cowl, it does not replace it, just like the rest of the C5 under hood real carbon parts. As you said, for the price of the Apsis piece, you could buy a lot of other parts, or better yet, keep your money in the bank.

Where did you buy your current hyrdo piece that is bubbling and cracking?
Old 06-23-2009, 07:55 PM
TKO Performance
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 279 Likes on 222 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Haha yea I know, that's a stock photo that they said they just had up for the website. That's why I'm still waiting for actual pictures of the piece from either TKO or the manufacturer!

That should not be on our website anymore.. As I mentioned that piece we did not make. When I contacted the mani, they advised us it was Hydro! (It was sent to us as real carbon fiber..)
If thats the case we can do it....and do it much better.
So no its not real.

Serving The Corvette Forum For 21 Years!!

Allow us to add you to the list of extremely satisfied customers.
Order Securely Online 24/7: http://tkoperformance.com/index.html
Feel Free To Contact Us By Phone: 1800 -778- 9898 Monday- Friday 9:00am to 4:30pm

Click Here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TKO-Pe...e/367433626633

Get notified of new replies

To real carbon fiber not hydrocarbon windshield cowl?????

Quick Reply: real carbon fiber not hydrocarbon windshield cowl?????